The boonie hat is considered to have been inspired by the Australian bush hat. The Australian bush hat is also known as a giggle hat or slouch hat. Worn by Austrian skirmishers, the slouch hat was introduced in Australian sometime around 1885. The bush hat was introduced to the American military during the Vietnam War and was adapted into the boonie hat that has been used by the US military since.
Table of Contents
- Comparisons of 8 Best Boonie Hats in 2019
- 8 Best Boonie Hats Reviews in 2019
- #1. Go-to Boonie by E-FLAG – Best Boonie Hat for Fishing
- #2. LETHMIK Summer Fishing – Best Hot Weather Boonie Hat
- #3. Tekma Sport Boonie Hat – Best Summer Hunting Boonie Hat
- #4. Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney – Best Boonie Hat for Sun
- #5. Pacific Weathered Cotton Hat by Dorfman – Best UPF Boonie Hat
- #6. Rothco Boonie Hat – Best Waterproof Boonie Hat
- #7. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Hat – Best Military Grade Boonie Hat
- #8. Tru-Spec GEN-II Adjustable Boonie Hat – Best Boonie Hat for Hiking
- Final Thoughts
The military version of the boonie hat usually has band of branch loops around the crown of the hat. This is known as a foliage ring and is used to hold vegetation used as camouflage during combat.
Comparisons of 8 Best Boonie Hats in 2019
|Brand||Material||UPF Rating||Accessories||View on Amazon|
|Tekma Sport||Cotton/Polyester Blend||+50||Chin Strap
|Columbia||Nylon Poplin||+50||Chin Strap
|Dorfman-Pacific||Cotton/Polyester Blend||+50||Chin Strap||Check Price
|Rothco||Cotton/Polyester Blend||Not stated||Chin Strap
|Outdoor Research||Nylon||+50||Chin Cord
8 Best Boonie Hats Reviews in 2019
#1. Go-to Boonie by E-FLAG – Best Boonie Hat for Fishing
There are several features that make the Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Hat the best boonie hat for fishing. Made with 100% nylon with 100% polyester lining, this boonie hat will protects you from the sun and the rain. You never know what the weather will do from one moment to the next – and the Seattle Sombrero has you covered.
Outdoor Research was founded in 1980 by a physicist who was an avid mountain climber. On a climb, his partner suffered extreme frostbite because the snow seeped between the boots and the gaiters. Once they reached safety, Ron Gregg decided to research to find a solution to these poorly designed gaiters so that he and other mountaineers would not find themselves in that situation.
The result was an insulated gaiter that was versatile enough to be worn with many brands of boots. Since 1981, Outdoor Research has been providing innovative, quality outerwear for outdoorsmen/women with a variety of interests.
#2. LETHMIK Summer Fishing – Best Hot Weather Boonie Hat
One of the best hot weather boonie hats is the Dorfman-Pacific Weathered Cotton Outback Hat. Made from a 52% cotton/48% polyester blend, this Dorfman-Pacific boonie hat is designed especially for hot weather. It features a brow band and lining inside the hat that absorbs sweat while the wide brim provides 360-degree protection from the sun.
Dorfman-Pacific was founded in 1921 and for over 95 years has been one of the world’s largest retailers of quality headwear. The company is dedicated to reducing their impact on the environment. Some of their projects include a line of organic hats made from completely natural products, using eCatalogs rather than paper catalogs, using solar to power their distribution centers, and using a waterless restroom system.
#3. Tekma Sport Boonie Hat – Best Summer Hunting Boonie Hat
The Boonie Hat by E-Flag is one of the best summer hunting boonie hats. Completely crushable for travel, the E-Flag boonie hat pops back into shape when you are ready to wear it. Made of 100% breathable cotton, this camouflage boonie hat is the perfect accompaniment while walking through the woods to get to your favorite hunting spot.
You never know what you might encounter when hunting during the summer – summer storms, blazing sun, flying bugs. The E-Flag boonie hat will provide protection from all the elements. Remember to know and follow your state’s hunting regulations and always think “Safety First”.
#4. Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney – Best Boonie Hat for Sun
New cases of melanoma have increased by 53% annually over the last 10 years. If you spend a lot of time outdoors – working, at the beach, fishing, hiking – it is extremely important to provide your skin with enough protection to protect from the damages that can be caused by UV rays. Be sure to apply sunscreen to protect your skin and wear a hat for extra protection for sensitive areas such as neck, ears, and face.
One of the best boonie hats for sun exposure is the Lethmik Summer Fishing Boonie Sun Hat. Made from high-quality polyester, this boonie hat features a wide brim for the most protection from the sun. The brim is also adjustable and allows you to wear the sides up, one side up, whatever style most fits your needs – or makes the fashion statement you want to make!
#5. Pacific Weathered Cotton Hat by Dorfman – Best UPF Boonie Hat
The UPF rating is one of the most important aspects of choosing a boonie hat. Spending hours outdoors can cause damage to your skin and hair. With a UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) of 50+, the Tekma Sport Boonie Hat is one of the best UPF boonie hats on the market. Lightweight and breathable, the Sport Boonie Hat is designed to keep your head cool and comfortable in the most extreme temperatures.
The Sport Boonie is flexible – can be folded and carried in your pocket when not needed – and maintains its shape so you can simply remove from your pocket and place back on your head when you need it again. The camouflage colors make this an ideal hat for hunting, hiking, or any other adventure that requires you to fit into the environment.
#6. Rothco Boonie Hat – Best Waterproof Boonie Hat
When you spend a lot of time outdoors, one thing you expect is changes in the weather. You may be sitting on your boat with beautiful sunny skies and five minutes later, a rain storm has blown out of the west. If you are already wearing the Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney II Sun Hat to protect your face from the sun, you are prepared with one of the best waterproof boonie hats available.
The Booney II is made from 100% textured nylon poplin for the most in water resistance. An avid fisherman knows that fish sometimes become more active when the rain is hitting the water. With 98% of the suns rays, this textured nylon hat is designed to let you keep pulling in the fish while the conditions are right.
#7. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Hat – Best Military Grade Boonie Hat
The boonie hat was first introduced to America by the military during the Vietnam War. It soon became one of the go-to hats for outdoor sports – hunting, fishing, hiking, spending the day at the beach. As we have become more aware of the dangers of ultraviolet rays, it has become more important to protect ourselves from those rays. The face, neck, and ears are the most sensitive to the sun. Thus, we should add the extra protection of a hat for long days in the sun.
If you are searching for one of the best military boonie hats, the Rothco Boonie Hat should be one of your considerations. This boonie hat is made to government military specifications resulting in a product that provides a close imitation of the military-style boonie hat.
#8. Tru-Spec GEN-II Adjustable Boonie Hat – Best Boonie Hat for Hiking
Hiking can expose you to all sorts of weather conditions – blazing sun, rain, bugs. Quality headwear can be just as important as quality foot wear when it comes to spending long hours exposed to the elements. One of the best boonie hats for hiking is the Tru-Spec Gen-II Adjustable Boonie Hat.
Made from 100% cotton, the Gen-II meets all US military specifications and provide the ultimate in comfort and protection. Introduced in 1996 by Atlanco, Tru-Spec is one of the leading providers of high quality, affordable uniforms and personal equipment to the military, law enforcement, and the public.
Hats can be fashionable and functional. Boonie hats are the perfect example. This is not only a hiking hat for hot weather. The key point is that it is extremely important for outdoorsmen/women to have the most protection possible from the elements. Nothing is worse that coming home from an enjoyable day of fishing with a sunburnt face that keeps you awake all night.
It only takes 15 minutes for ultraviolet rays to damage your skin. Here are some tips for protecting yourself from the sun:
- Sunscreen – Even on cloudy days, any exposed skin should be covered with sunscreen. Ultraviolet rays reach your skin through the cloud coverage. Sunscreen should have at least a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or more. The higher the SPF rating, the better the protection. Always be sure to read the manufacturer’s recommendations for re-applying sunscreen throughout the day – Never leave your skin unprotected.
- Sunglasses – Your eyes are one of the most tender parts of your body. Sunglasses should always be worn when you are outside to protect your eyes from the damage that can be caused by sun exposure. If you do not protect your eyes from UV rays, your chances of developing cataracts increase. The best sunglasses for eye protection block UVB (Ultraviolet B are short-wave solar rays) and UVA (Ultraviolet A are long-wave solar rays).
- Shade – If you are going to be exposed to the sun for extended periods of time, find shade (umbrella or tree) for relief from the sun throughout the day.
- Clothing – Check the SPF rating for the apparel you plan to wear when you are outdoors. As with sunscreen, choose clothing that offers the most protection from UV rays.
- Hat – Hats offer the best protection for your face, neck, and ears (areas that can be extremely sensitive to sun exposure). For outdoor activities and sports, finding the best quality boonie hat will ensure you are protected from the sun, rain, and wind.