The boonie hat is considered to have been inspired by the Australian bush hat. The Australian bush hat is also known as a giggle hat or slouch hat. Worn by Austrian skirmishers, the slouch hat was introduced in Australian sometime around 1885. The bush hat was introduced to the American military during the Vietnam War and was adapted into the boonie hat that has been used by the US military since.
The best boonie hat or bush hat was made popular for outdoorsmen during the 1980s when Crocodile Dundee sported one in the Australian outback. The boonie hat is a floppy, wide-brimmed hat that protects the wearer from the hot sun, rain, and wind while working (or fishing) outdoors. The military version of the boonie hat usually has band of branch loops around the crown of the hat. This is known as a foliage ring and is used to hold vegetation used as camouflage during combat.
Table of Contents
- Comparisons of 10 Best Boonie Hats in 2020
- Top 10 Best Boonie Hat Reviews in 2020
- 1. Tough Headwear Boonie Sun Hat
- 2. Dorfman Pacific Men’s Outback Hat
- 3. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
- 4. Tru-Spec Cotton and Nylon Bonnie Hat
- 5. Columbia Unisex Bora Bora II Booney Hat
- 6. Gloryfire Tactical Boonie Hat in Military Style
- 7. LETHMIK Summer Fishing Boonie Sun Hat
- 8. Tekma Sport Best Boonie Hat for Sun Protection
- 9. Rothco Best Boonie Hat for Fishing
- 10. E-Flag The Go-to Boonie Hat for Outdoor Activities
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparisons of 10 Best Boonie Hats in 2020
|Tough Headwear Boonie Sun Hat||Check Price|
|Dorfman-Pacific Men’s Hat||Check Price|
|Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero||Check Price|
|Tru-Spec Gen-ii Boonie Hat||Check Price|
|Columbia Bora Bora II Booney Hat||Check Price|
|GLORYFIRE Boonie Hat||Check Price|
|LETHMIK Summer Fishing Sun Hat||Check Price|
|Tekma Sport Boonie Hat||Check Price|
|Rothco Boonie Hat||Check Price|
|E-Flag Boonie Hat||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Boonie Hat Reviews in 2020
1. Tough Headwear Boonie Sun Hat
Hiking can expose you to all sorts of weather conditions – blazing sun, rain, bugs. Quality headwear can be just as important as quality foot wear when it comes to spending long hours exposed to the elements.
One of the best boonie hats for hiking is the Boonie Safari Sun Hat. Boonie Safari Sun Hat is made out of nylon. So, it’s made from 100% cotton, the Boonie Safari Sun Hat provide the ultimate in comfort and protection.
This sun hat will keep your head and face protected from the sun and heat also adjustable drawstring ensures your hat stays on your noggin.
- Adjustable sizing strap allows you to adjust the hat to fit
- It doesn’t have ventilation holes.
- the hat is made out of nylon.
- 100% cotton for comfort and protection from UV rays
- The brim is a little too floppy for some consumers
2. Dorfman Pacific Men’s Outback Hat
One of the best hot weather boonie hats is the Dorfman-Pacific Weathered Cotton Outback Hat. Made from a 52% cotton/48% polyester blend, this Dorfman-Pacific boonie hat is designed especially for hot weather.
It features a brow band and lining inside the hat that absorbs sweat while the wide brim provides 360-degree protection from the sun. Dorfman-Pacific was founded in 1921 and for over 95 years has been one of the world’s largest retailers of quality headwear.
The company is dedicated to reducing their impact on the environment. Some of their projects include a line of organic hats made from completely natural products, using Catalogs rather than paper catalogs, using solar to power their distribution centers, and using a waterless restroom system.
- 7-inch brim provides coverage for your neck, ears, and face for maximum protection
- Adjustable chin strap for stability
- Shapeable brim allows you to create your own style
- Weathered material that makes this boonie hat look rugged and broken-in
- UPF rating of 50+
- The hat sizes run large, so you may need to order a size below your normal hat size
3. Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero
There are several features that make the Outdoor Research Seattle Sombrero Hat the best boonie hat for fishing. Made with 100% nylon with GORE-TEX fabric, this boonie hat will protects you from the sun and the rain.
You never know what the weather will do from one moment to the next – and the Seattle Sombrero has you covered. Outdoor Research was founded in 1980 by a physicist who was an avid mountain climber.
On a climb, his partner suffered extreme frostbite because the snow seeped between the boots and the gaiters. Once they reached safety, Ron Gregg decided to research to find a solution to these poorly designed gaiters so that he and other mountaineers would not find themselves in that situation.
The result was an insulated gaiter that was versatile enough to be worn with many brands of boots. Since 1981, Outdoor Research has been providing innovative, quality outerwear for outdoorsmen/women with a variety of interests.
- Winner of Backpacker Magazine’s Editor’s Choice Gold Award in 2005
- Includes a removable, adjustable, and lockable chin strap
- Brim is designed to direct water away from the face – even in a downpour
- Hook/loop tabs are located on the dome and the brim to keep your fishing lures close at hand
- Nylon outside and polyester inside make this boonie hat breathable and waterproof
- There are no ventilation panels or eyeholes
4. Tru-Spec Cotton and Nylon Bonnie Hat
Customers can choose from several different sizes that have been reported to be accurate therefore you can follow the sizing chart available to make sure you order just the right size for your head.
Moreover the hat comes with soft drawstrings that will not irritate your skin plus they can be adjusted using the plastic drawstring closure. This will prevent the bonnie hat from moving on your hat during walking, hiking and running.
Lastly it can be washed in the washing machine however the manufacturer has stated that it is best to just socket it in warm water with soap and then rinse it under running water to ensure that it keeps its shape.
- Breathable material that will protect your head from the sun without making it sweat
- Size chart is accurate
- Available in many different sizes
- Light and easy to keep clean
- Not machine washable
- Available in one color only
5. Columbia Unisex Bora Bora II Booney Hat
When you spend a lot of time outdoors, one thing you expect is changes in the weather. You may be sitting on your boat with beautiful sunny skies and five minutes later, a rain storm has blown out of the west.
If you are already wearing the Columbia Sportswear Bora Bora Booney II Sun Hat to protect your face from the sun, you are prepared with one of the best waterproof boonie hats available. The Booney II is made from 100% textured nylon poplin for the most in water resistance.
An avid fisherman knows that fish sometimes become more active when the rain is hitting the water. With 98% of the suns rays, this textured nylon hat is designed to let you keep pulling in the fish while the conditions are right.
- Omni-Wick sweatband keeps the sweat from running down your face
- Mesh vents provide breathability that keeps you head cool
- Adjustable drawcord allow you to adjust the hat to fit your head
- Adjustable chin strap keeps your boonie hat in place on windy days
- Hat is designed to dry quickly if it gets wet
- Brim is extremely floppy and takes on its own shape
6. Gloryfire Tactical Boonie Hat in Military Style
The top of your head is very sensitive as there are many nerve endings and and that spot is only protected by your hair however a lot of individuals don’t have a lot of hair on top especially some man that are almost bald.
Therefore it is important to either wear a cap or a bonnie hat in the summer to avoid overheating that can be accompanied by very unpleasant symptoms such as feeling nauseous, having a headache and in some severe cases even having a high fever that is a clear sign that your body is overheated and needs to cool down immediately.
This bonnie hat is made from 100% cotton material that has been reported to be very soft and easy foldable that’s why you can carry it in your backpack. Moreover customers can choose from three different colors ranging from black to completely white and this hat comes with adjustable chin drawstrings that will prevent the hat from falling from your head during windy weather. Lastly the top of the head has a very comfortable pocket that you can use to carry things such as map.
- Made from 100% cotton material
- Available in 3 different colors
- Can be folded so as to carry in backpack
- Drawstrings can be used to keep the head from falling
- Machine washable
- Not safe for the dryer
- No warranty
7. LETHMIK Summer Fishing Boonie Sun Hat
New cases of melanoma have increased by 53% annually over the last 10 years. If you spend a lot of time outdoors – working, at the beach, fishing, hiking – it is extremely important to provide your skin with enough protection to protect from the damages that can be caused by UV rays.
Be sure to apply sunscreen to protect your skin and wear a hat for extra protection for sensitive areas such as neck, ears, and face. One of the best boonie hats for sun exposure is the Lethmik Summer Fishing Boonie Sun Hat.
Made from high-quality polyester, this boonie hat features a wide brim for the most protection from the sun. The brim is also adjustable and allows you to wear the sides up, one side up, whatever style most fits your needs – or makes the fashion statement you want to make!
- Unisex so it can be worn by men or women
- Hold its shape so it can be easily folded and carried in your pocket when not needed
- Breathable material in the lining
- Adjustable chin strap drawstring for security during windy conditions
- Snaps for the sides keep them in place when you fold them
- One size fits most – recommended for hat sizes between 7 ¼ to 7 5/8
8. Tekma Sport Best Boonie Hat for Sun Protection
The UPF rating is one of the most important aspects of choosing a boonie hat. Spending hours outdoors can cause damage to your skin and hair. With a UPF (Ultraviolet Protection Factor) of 50+, the Tekma Sport Boonie Hat is one of the best UPF boonie hats on the market.
Lightweight and breathable, the Sport Boonie Hat is designed to keep your head cool and comfortable in the most extreme temperatures.
The Sport Boonie is flexible – can be folded and carried in your pocket when not needed – and maintains its shape so you can simply remove from your pocket and place back on your head when you need it again. The camouflage colors make this an ideal hat for hunting, hiking, or any other adventure that requires you to fit into the environment.
- Wide, full brim provides the ultimate protection for your face, ears, and neck
- Breathability keeps your head cool even in the hottest temperatures
- Includes snaps on each side for folding the brim
- Includes foliage rings for additional camouflage for hunters
- Three colors to choose from – classic navy, desert camouflage, and woodland camouflage
- The hat body does not adjust so it may fit large on smaller heads
9. Rothco Best Boonie Hat for Fishing
The best boonie hat was first introduced to America by the military during the Vietnam War. It soon became one of the go-to hats for outdoor sports – hunting, fishing, hiking, spending the day at the beach.
As we have become more aware of the dangers of ultraviolet rays, it has become more important to protect ourselves from those rays. The face, neck, and ears are the most sensitive to the sun. Thus, we should add the extra protection of a hat for long days in the sun.
If you are searching for one of the best military boonie hats, the Rothco Boonie Hat should be one of your considerations. This boonie hat is made to government military specifications resulting in a product that provides a close imitation of the military-style boonie hat.
- Cotton/Polyester Blend provides extreme protection from the sun
- Features 4 vent holes for breathability that helps keep your head cool in the hottest conditions
- Adjustable chin strap allows you to secure your hat, so you do not have to constantly reach up and adjust it
- Includes branch loops for more camouflage capabilities (or to hold fishing lures)
- Hat is collapsible and can be stored in your pocket when not needed
- Hat fits tightly, so you may need to order a size larger than normal
10. E-Flag The Go-to Boonie Hat for Outdoor Activities
Made of 100% cotton, this camouflage boonie hat is the perfect accompaniment while walking through the woods to get to your favorite hunting spot. You never know what you might encounter when hunting during the summer – summer storms, blazing sun, flying bugs.
The E-Flag boonie hat will provide protection from all the elements. Remember to know and follow your state’s hunting regulations and always think “Safety First”.
- UPF 50+
- Side holes for ventilation
- Wide brim protects face, ears, and neck from the sun and rain
- Available in 12 colors
- Easily convert from boonie hat to cowboy style boonie hat by putting the sides up
- Only comes in 1 size – fits hat size 7 to 7 3/8
Hats can be fashionable and functional. Boonie hats are the perfect example. This is not only a hiking hat for hot weather. The key point is that it is extremely important for outdoorsmen/women to have the most protection possible from the elements. Nothing is worse that coming home from an enjoyable day of fishing with a sunburnt face that keeps you awake all night.
It only takes 15 minutes for ultraviolet rays to damage your skin. Here are some tips for protecting yourself from the sun:
- Sunscreen – Even on cloudy days, any exposed skin should be covered with sunscreen. Ultraviolet rays reach your skin through the cloud coverage. Sunscreen should have at least a SPF (Sun Protection Factor) of 15 or more. The higher the SPF rating, the better the protection. Always be sure to read the manufacturer’s recommendations for re-applying sunscreen throughout the day – Never leave your skin unprotected.
- Sunglasses – Your eyes are one of the most tender parts of your body. Sunglasses should always be worn when you are outside to protect your eyes from the damage that can be caused by sun exposure. If you do not protect your eyes from UV rays, your chances of developing cataracts increase. The best sunglasses for eye protection block UVB (Ultraviolet B are short-wave solar rays) and UVA (Ultraviolet A are long-wave solar rays).
- Shade – If you are going to be exposed to the sun for extended periods of time, find shade (umbrella or tree) for relief from the sun throughout the day.
- Clothing – Check the SPF rating for the apparel you plan to wear when you are outdoors. As with sunscreen, choose clothing that offers the most protection from UV rays.
- Hat – Hats offer the best protection for your face, neck, and ears (areas that can be extremely sensitive to sun exposure). For outdoor activities and sports, finding the best boonie hat will ensure you are protected from the sun, rain, and wind.