Any fisherman worth his salt knows that top fishing waders are really important. They should be versatile, comfortable, breathable, keeping you dry and helping you enjoy a very good fishing experience. Moreover, the best fly fishing waders should be durable, made from materials that will keep you warm while fishing in cold waters.
All in all, you don’t want to miss out on the biggest catch of your life because you didn’t have the right equipment at the right time. It might prove a challenge to find the top rated fly fishing waders that could also fit your budget, and needs, but it’s not impossible. I have done some research and came up with a list of the best fly fishing waders you could find in 2020.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Fly Fishing Waders in 2020
- Top 10 Best Fly Fishing Waders Review in 2020
- 1. Foxelli Neoprene Chest Waders
- 2. Dark Lightning Fly Fishing Waders
- 3. Compass 360 Deadfall Breathable STFT
- 4. FroggToggs Canyon II Stockingfoot Chest Wader
- 5. Night Cat Fishing Wader
- 6. Hodgman H3 Stocking Foot Chest Waders
- 7. 8 Fans Men’s Fishing Chest Waders
- 8. Piscifun Breathable Chest Waders
- 9. Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders
- 10. Kylebooker Fishing Breathable Wader
- How to Choose the Best Fly Fishing Waders for You
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Fly Fishing Waders in 2020
|Foxelli Neoprene Chest Waders||Check Price|
|Dark Lightning Fly Fishing Waders||Check Price|
|Compass 360 STFT Chest Wader||Check Price|
|Frogg Toggs Canyon II Chest Wader||Check Price|
|Night Cat Fishing Wader||Check Price|
|Hodgman H3 Stocking Foot Chest Waders||Check Price|
|8 Fans Men’s Fishing Chest Waders||Check Price|
|Piscifun Breathable Chest Waders||Check Price|
|Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders||Check Price|
|Kylebooker Fishing Chest Wader||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Fly Fishing Waders Review in 2020
If you’re considering getting yourself the best affordable fly fishing waders out there or the best value fly fishing waders and have a bad time deciding which they are, this might help you. I’ve perused all the viable options and came out with a list. The main important features when it comes to shopping for a pair of fly fishing waders are comfort, the capacity of staying warm and dry and, well, value for money. We all want to make sure we’ve got the best in this category.
1. Foxelli Neoprene Chest Waders
If you’re looking for the best fly fishing waders for the money, then this Foxelli Neoprene Fishing waders might just be it. They look comfortable enough for you to put them on and take them off with ease. They look resistant enough, like they could manage any minor rips and tears and spare you the surprise of an unexpected, out-of-nowhere tear.
The waders are made from neoprene that is 4mm thick. The seams look durable; they are stitched twice. The boots are made from PVC and have an anti-slip sole to help you keep your balance on muddy or slippery surfaces. The boots can be worn both with socks or without.
- The knee pads have two layers of reinforced padding for extra protection
- They come equipped with D-rings, a generous chest pocket with a hand warmer, 2 carabines on the nylon belt; so enough space to carry your accessories with much ease.
- 30-day money back guarantee if you don’t like them.
- They are only good for the warmer parts of the country; in the northern, chill outdoors they might not be able to keep you warm for much time
- The boots do not look insulated enough, so you might not want to spend too much time in the water, to stay dry.
2. Dark Lightning Fly Fishing Waders
If you know you’re not going to fish much this year or you’ve just caught the bug of fishing and are a beginner, then these might be the best cheap waders for fly fishing that you could find right now.
They’re made from composite material, with PVC reinforced with nylon on the upper part, and two-ply composite waterproof material that make them lighter than normal waders. So, they might be perfect for a casual fishing experience in which you don’t want to invest too much.
The seams are taped for protection. The suspenders are adjustable and could be fastened rather quickly. They have a chest pocket to keep your things safe and you get a boot hanger for free in the package. If you know you have wider feet than normal, you might want to order a one size larger pair just to make sure you get in them and feel comfortable at the same time.
- They come with a free boot hanger
- They’re quite easy to get in and look very lightweight
- The material looks durable enough to save you of any unpleasant surprises while fishing
- They look rather tight and might not fit you comfortably if you are over 6 foot and have a muscular build
- They’re not meant for rough weather and rapid streams
3. Compass 360 Deadfall Breathable STFT
I know what it’s like to be spending days on looking for the best fly fishing waders reviews out there. However, I think I’ve found them. This Compass Waders look comfortable enough, durable and very protective, and if sweating is what you’re most afraid of when getting into a pair of fishing waders, then these might protect you from your worst nightmare. They look breathable, with a good waterproof design.
The elastic suspenders look adjustable, the stockings are made from 4mm thick neoprene and the chest height is really good for extra protection. However, there are some things that I didn’t like. As with any thing in life, there are pros and cons and you must make the decision based on what fits you better. But let’s start with what we liked.
- Provide a good mixture of design, comfort, breathability and look waterproof enough for any kind of fishing experience
- They include plenty of pockets for your fishing accessories
- Look durable and strong enough for rough and chill weather.
- They do not come with boots; Come with waterproof stockings, but you will still need boots for good protection
4. FroggToggs Canyon II Stockingfoot Chest Wader
If you’re not willing to compromise on anything, then these might be the best value fly fishing waders you could buy. The first thing that will strike you is how high they cover your chest and how flexible they look like. Indeed, they might be on the light side of things as well.
The belt is adjustable to fit your body size and they’re made from flexible nylon. They look like they could manage well in deep waters.
- Very easy to put on and take off
- Suitable for deeper waters due to their high chest piece
- They don’t have any knee padding
5. Night Cat Fishing Wader
Passion might come first, but budgets will also hover over our heads. So, it’s not wrong to look for the best budget fly fishing waders on the market, like these Night Cat Fishing Waders. They’re made from tough Nylon fabric to which a PVC coating has been added.
The boots have anti-slipping soles and look quite durable overall. Since it is made from nylon, you don’t need to brush it to clean it. Just flush it with fresh water and then hung it in shade to dry. That’s it!
- The boots are integrated with the pants, instead of being stitched together, so it might offer more waterproof protection
- Both the waist belt and H-back suspenders are adjustable
- By the look of it, the sizing chart is not to be trusted. They might prove too tight on the waist if you’re a bigger guy
6. Hodgman H3 Stocking Foot Chest Waders
Now, these might be the affordable best fly fishing waders out there. If good price is what you’re looking for, but also without much compromise on the quality side, then these might be it.
I could say the quality is a little bit better than on a normal entry-level fishing waders. The wading belt is stretchable and the stockings are made from neoprene.
- Big chest pocket, internal pocket, handwarmer pocket line with microfleece, and a D-ring in the back for hanging your most-needed fishing accessories
- They come in a lot of size options
- You will still need boots for extra protection; the neoprene stockings might not be enough.
7. 8 Fans Men’s Fishing Chest Waders
If your search for those perfect waders for fly fishing is still on, then let me tell you about these ones. The fabric seems breathable without compromising on its waterproof capabilities. They look comfortable enough and the high chest wader is good for protection.
The build looks quite durable, they combine 3 layers of breathable fabric; they also have knee pads enforced with gravel guards and the flip out pockets are zippered.
- They have adjustable suspenders with quick-release buckles
- The material looks breathable enough
- It looks like it will dry quite easily
- You will still need to buy boots as the neoprene stockings are not enough for protection
- You might have problem with water coming in if you spend too much time in deep waters
8. Piscifun Breathable Chest Waders
If top rated fly fishing waders is what you’re after, then you might also want to take a look at these Piscifun Breathable Waders. By the look of their overall design, they are pretty lightweight. They come with 3-layer polyester waterproof stockings for your feet.
However, you might need to consider a pair of waterproof boots for fishing also. They look rather comfortable and ergonomic. They 1.5 inch belt is elastic and adjustable. You have a lot of storage space in the rather good-looing mesh storage bag. They also come with one year warranty which is pretty good.
- They also come in sizes fit for women
- The size chart might not be too accurate; the stockings look too small compared with the rest of the waders.
9. Simms Tributary Stockingfoot Waders
These top fishing waders look like they might live up to their good reputation. Their simple design allows for effortless mobility. It looks like you won’t feel too uncomfortable navigating wet trails and deep water in terms of mobility in these ones.
The neoprene stockings they come equipped with are advertised as having antimicrobial features which is a nice touch. The nylon waist belt is adjustable. The fabric gravel guard is good protection.
- It’s got stockings with antimicrobial properties: a fine nice touch not found on all the fishing waders
- You can convert them to waist height very easily for extra comfort in shallow waters
- The Elastic belt does not look too sturdy and might snap in high water pressure
10. Kylebooker Fishing Breathable Wader
The last on our list of fly fishing waders to buy this year, you will find these Kylebookers. They look like good value, are made from waterproof, breathable TRICOT 3-layer fabric and look quite sturdy and trustworthy for the long-term.
The seams look taped, glued and stitched, all of them; this might offer good protection against leaks. They could also be used for hunting or farming work. They will keep you clean and comfortable in messy situations, you know.
- Adjustable wading belt with quick-release locking buckle
- Integrated gravel guards and reinforced knees for extra protection
- The size chart might not be too accurate; they look bigger overall. You might want to consider ordering a one size smaller pair
- The fabric might not be as waterproof as advertised by the producer
How to Choose the Best Fly Fishing Waders for You
As you have seen, there are a few options to consider and you might feel more in the dark than before, now that you have all these pros and cons and possible buying options. I’ll try to make it easier for you to choose one of the products above.
On the whole, there are a few types of best fly fishing waders to consider. First, there’s the boot type. There are fly fishing waders that come with boots and others that come with stockings. Then there’s the wader height, the types of materials, safety and maintenance to consider. Let’s take each and every one of them and see what they’re all about.
Fishing Waders With Boots or Stockings?
Whether you choose to go for fishing waders with boots or stockings, you should know that both have their advantages and disadvantages:
- Boot-Foot Fishing Waders: They have boots directly attached to the waders. This is good because you won’t need to buy an additional pair of boots. On the downside, they might be pretty hard to get into and out of and also there might be some fitting problems. For example, the whole of the fishing waders could fit you nicely, but the boots could be too big or small for your feet. In either case, the boots might fit a little too loosely on your feet and if you’re not used to it, it could give you a hard time at the beginning.
- Stocking-Foot Fishing Waders: Some fishermen do not prefer this type of waders because they will also have to wear boots over them and might feel a little uncomfortable at first. However, neoprene stocking waders provide an additional layer of insolation. So, you could wear waterproof boots and waterproof stockings to make sure you don’t get feel the chill.
All in all, it would seem that professional fishermen prefer stocking-foot waders. They don’t mind that they’re more expensive and also require an additional pair of boots. Indeed, on the long term they might prove more reliable than the boot-foot fishing waders. But if you’re looking for a pair of waders for occasional fishing, then the boot-foot type is not bad either.
How High Should the Fishing Waders Go?
Another feature to consider is the height. Fishing waders usually come in three heights:
Hips waders only extend from the ankles to the hips. They’re mostly a pair of pants tied by a strap on each leg. They’re nice in short and warm waters, but just about that. You cannot go deeper than the middle of your thigh.
These are basically a pair of pants. However, in order to make sure you don’t get wet, you won’t be able to go in water much deeper than your crotch.
If the previous two look more or less like a pair of pants, these waders are mostly resembling a pair of overalls. They extend from the ankle to the chest and would let you go in water that is above your waist. They are the warmest type of fishing wader and offer the most protection. However, they might not be the most comfortable, as compared with the two above.
So, if you have to reach distant trout, then maybe these are the ones for you. If not, and you just want a little enjoyment, you could go for the waist or hip waders.
Types of Fishing Waders Materials
Fishing waders are usually made from two distinct types of materials: neoprene rubber or nylon to which have been attached different types of membranes for breath ability. None of them go without their advantages or disadvantages, of course. The fishing waders made of neoprene are quite stretchy. They will not hinder your mobility and will surely keep you away from the cold water.
They’re advisable mostly during winter when the water temperature is close to the freezing point. However, the biggest shortcoming of a neoprene fishing wader is its lack of breathability. So, the cold water does not get in, but you might feel really hot in them after a while, especially if its summertime and the water has a nice temperature.
The nylon waders also known as breathable waders allow the wearer’s perspiration to escape, so your clothes will probably not moist at all from your perspiration. However, they could get wet from the water. These breathable waders are the least insulated and they might feel a little stiff, obstructing your mobility to a point.
Fishing Waders’ Thickness
You might have read that I was saying certain waders had a certain thickness and an x number of layers. This is also another important feature to take into consideration, yes.
For Neoprene waders, you can choose between 2.5mm to 5 mm thickness. So, if you know you are going to spend a great deal of time in cold waters, then you need to go for the heavy-duty kind of fabric. If not, it is advisable you choose a medium weight fabric which offers both a little bit of comfort and good insulation.
Well, yes, it is obviously up to you, but knowing the different types of best fly fishing waders out there, their downsides and upsides, the different types of materials and what they’re best of, you can make a decision. You know how hard you want to dive into this beautiful passion and what are the best fly fishing waders for you.