Ice fishing is tough as compared to other types of fishing because you have to look for fish in their hiding places. You need to have the best ice fishing fish finder so that it will be easy to locate fish. After all, do you want to stay for several hours in the frigid temperatures and catch nothing?
The best ice fish finders are different from other fish finders in that they have unique features suitable for ice fishing. It will be so easy for you to know what is going on under the ice when you have the best ice fish finders. If you are a beginner or an angler who would love to know how fish finders work.
I know there are so many types of ice fishing finders currently such that choosing the best can be tough. However, if you go through the best ice fishing fish finder reviews that I have covered here, it will be easy for you to pick the right ice fish finder when you are planning for ice fishing trip.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Ice Fishing Fish Finders in 2020
- Top 10 Best Ice Fishing Fish Finder Reviews in 2020
- 1. Deeper Pro+ Smart Sonar Fish Finder
- 2. Humminbird 410970-1 Ice Helix 5
- 3. Vexilar FL-8se Genz Pack
- 4. Garmin Striker 4 with Portable Kit
- 5. Marcum LX-7 Ice Fishing Sonar Fishfinder
- 6. Humminbird ICE-45 Flasher
- 7. Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder
- 8. Humminbird ICE-55 Flasher
- 9. HawkEye Fishtrax 1C Fish Finder
- 10. Lowrance HOOK² Ice Fishing Fishfinder
- How to Choose the Best Ice Fishing Fish Finder
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Ice Fishing Fish Finders in 2020
|Deeper PRO+ Sonar Fish Finder||Check Price|
|Humminbird 410970-1 Ice Helix 5||Check Price|
|Vexilar FL-8se Genz Ice Flasher||Check Price|
|Garmin Striker 4||Check Price|
|MarCum LX-7 Ice Fishing Fishfinder||Check Price|
|Humminbird ICE-45 Flasher||Check Price|
|Venterior VT-FF001 Fish Finder||Check Price|
|Humminbird ICE-55 Flasher||Check Price|
|HawkEye Fishtrax 1C Fish Finder||Check Price|
|Lowrance HOOK² Ice Fish Finder||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Ice Fishing Fish Finder Reviews in 2020
For a successful ice fishing trip, you need to have a top-notch ice fish finder. Here are reviews of 10 best fish finders that we tested, and they work amazingly well in ice fishing. Compare the features of the individual products so that you can pick the most suitable fish finder.
1. Deeper Pro+ Smart Sonar Fish Finder
If you’ve been having a hard time catching when out for ice fishing, it could be you have the wrong ice fish finder. It is great to invest in a fish finder for ice fishing so that you can locate the fish with ease. The Deeper Smart Fish Finder will make your fishing trips shorter and fun. With this fish finder, you can connect it wirelessly through Bluetooth.
This allows you to use it on your Android or iOS device. Through the Deeper app, you can monitor fish movement and even observe underwater life. The Deeper fish finder can be used for all types of fishing. Whether you practice shore fishing, ice fishing, bank fishing, kayak boat fishing, kayak fishing and much more.
This device is able to mark anything up to 3inch sized bodies, in up to 130ft. of water depth with a connection for up to 130ft. in range. Its working temperature of between -4o to 104o F makes it perfect for use in both salt and fresh water. It also works on a dual frequency sonar beam with detailed sonar readings of underwater life.
- -4o to 104o F temperature range
- Dual frequency sonar beam
- Rechargeable battery
- Marks 3inch sized bodies with up to 130ft. water depth
- Bluetooth connected wirelessly to Android and iOS devices
- You can monitor fish movement and underwater life on your phone
- Perfect for all styles of fishing
- It can be used in both fresh and saltwater
- Reaches places other fish finders can’t reach
- Free app included
- It is difficult staying connected to the device
2. Humminbird 410970-1 Ice Helix 5
If you’re looking for a precise ice fish finder, the Humminbird 410970-1 ICE HELIX eliminates guesswork and probabilities. You can locate fish in their hiding places and bring home some catch. To give you precise results, this fish finder has an amazing display.
The brilliant 800H x 480V, 5′ 256 color display with backlight ensures that you locate your fish easily at night or during the day. For even more precision, the fish finder has a dual frequency beam plus sonar. With up to 4000 watts PTP power output makes it one of the ice fishing finders with the best ice fishing sonar.
This fish finder just as its name suggests is a GPS enabled device. With its built-in UniMap cartography, all your waypoints are plotted in the GPS chart. The micro SD card slot allows you to save all of your waypoints. This fish finder can be used in extreme temperatures. You can, therefore, use it for any style of fishing at any time. The LCDs that light the display are bright and ultra-fast. With them, you can clearly get a digital readout showing your exact depth.
- 800H x 480V, 5′ 256 color display
- 4000watts PTP power output
- GPS chart plotting with built-in UniMap
- Micro SD card slot
- Ultra-fast LCDs
- Has an amazing display
- Comes with a dual frequency beam plus sonar
- Can be used in extreme temperatures
- Gives a digital readout
- Allows you to access the reproductive spots
- It just has an ice transducer
3. Vexilar FL-8se Genz Pack
Looking to upgrade your best ice fishing fish finder? This is Vexilar FL-8se Genz ice fishing finder is the one to go for. So, if you’re planning on spending a short amount of time fishing, this is the fish finder to go for. This David Genz ice flasher comes with 12V 7amp hour a charger.
This means that you can charge it wherever you are as long as there’s a power source. For you to be able to distinguish when the device actually locates fish, it has its popular three-color sonar flasher that targets in green, orange and red. You can easily identify the colors because of the super-bright LED technology.
To add on to the convenience of the fish finder, it offers six depth ranges. 20, 30, 40, 60, 80 and 120ft. So you’ll be able to locate fish even when they’re hidden deep underwater. The base of the finder fits a five-gallon bucket. You can also easily access the semi-enclosed battery compartment. It comes with a built-in Ice-ducer transducer and an instructional video.
- 12v 7amp hour batter
- Three colors LED display
- Six different depth ranges
- Built-in ice-ducer transducer
- Semi-enclosed battery compartment
- Long-lasting battery life
- Easily identifiable colors
- You can locate fish no matter where they are
- Pre-drilled holes allow for extra storage
- Difficult to read in snowy conditions
4. Garmin Striker 4 with Portable Kit
Garmin striker 4 comes with a sleek black portable kit that can be attached to your backpack whenever you need it plus it comes with a unique keyed interface with easy to press buttons. Moreover, customers can choose from three different sized displays ranging from 3 inches to 7 inches thus you can always be sure that you’ll find just the right fish finder for yourself.
Furthermore, you can set a waypoint map so as to conveniently view and navigate to needed locations and mark the nearest spots where most of fish schools are located. Also, the map shows convenient locations such as piers, reefs, rocks and marine docs.
This fish finder has been reported by many fishermen around the world to be precise and accurate as it uses a patented sonar technology that continuously sweeps the location underneath the boat and display only up-to-date information on the display. Lastly, there is a build-in flasher that you can use whenever you need some extra lightening especially during night fishing.
- Built-in, high-sensitivity GPS
- Available in 3.5-, 5- and 7-inch display sizes
- Dual-frequency (50/200 kHz) sonar capable
- Maximum depth 1,600 ft freshwater*, 750 ft saltwater*
- Comes with a convenient black portable carrying kit
- Available in different sized screens ranging from 3 to 7 inches
- Comes with a build-in flash light that will be perfect for night-time fishing
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Trusted American brand
- Comes with a waypoint map that showcases important locations such as reefs and docks
- Carrying kit is only available in one color
- No mesh pockets on the carrying bag
- Fish finder charger is not included
5. Marcum LX-7 Ice Fishing Sonar Fishfinder
There are so many best ice fishing fish finders that are available nowadays. If you need one that has been around for a while on the market providing the best performance, Marcum LX-7 Ice Fishing Sonar system is the one to go for. With over a decade of existence, it’s still as good if not better than it was. With its 8-inch LCD 800 x 600px display, you’ll be able to clearly see whether there is fish or not.
That’s not all, its four user-selectable color palettes allow you to see fish, lure or structure. The user-defined on-screen dashboard can display literally everything. So, whether it’s digital depth, battery voltage, range, gain, interference rejection, target adjust and any other setting, you’ll see it on the dashboard. This fish finder comes with a multifaceted sonar display LCD windows.
With them, you can view vertical water column, flasher-dial, and the traditional widescreen graph displays. In addition to all these amazing features, this fish finder has an industry-exclusive sonar footprint technology. It displays areas of bottom coverage at any depth with either 8o or 20o transducer cone angles with ½’target separation.
- 8-inch 800 x 600px display
- User-defined on-screen dashboard
- Multifaceted sonar display
- LCD display
- Industry-exclusive sonar footprint technology
- Four user-selectable color palettes allow you to see fish, lure or structure
- On-screen dashboard displays all the required settings
- Sonar displays for easy graphical displays
- Easy to pinpoint fish targets depending on your lure
- Provides optimal signals to avoid interference
- It’s expensive
6. Humminbird ICE-45 Flasher
If you’re planning on going on an ice fishing expedition, you need a companion. Apart from taking your family or friends for ice fishing, you should also have the Humminbird ICE-45 best ICE fishing fish finder. The lake/ocean can sometimes be very unfriendly. That’s why you need this fish finder.
With its extreme-temperature LCD technology, it will find and report back to you the contents of underwater. While other ice fishing finders take time setting up, this one is different. It automatically sets the flasher scale meaning you’ll not have to second guess the specs you want. The fully adjustable zoom allows you to see any part of the water column in full detail.
You’ll waste time on the open water that’s only full of structure or that’s too shallow for fish. That’s not all, with its selectable dual frequency beam sonar; you’ll be able to monitor the movement of fish graphically with 200ft depth capability. The fish finder also features a 526 segment 3-color fiber optic display with LCD center. You’ll never make a mistake with this fish finder
- Selectable dual frequency sonar
- 3-color fiber optic display
- LCD center
- 200ft depth capability
- Extreme temperature LCD technology perfect for any weather
- Automatically sets the flasher scale
- You can see water column in full detail
- You’ll be free to select the sonar frequency you prefer
- 3 color fiber optic display
7. Venterior VT-FF001 Portable Fish Finder
If you’re looking for a quick, lightweight yet efficient fish finder, you’re in the right place. This Venterior Portable Fish Finder will work well for you. This fish finder can detect and display water depth using TN/Anti-UV LCD. This allows you to see the approximate fish location, find short or tall weeds, sand and rocks on the seabed.
With the depth range from 3ft. to 328ft, you can use it in any environment. Whether you’re on the sea, lake or river, this fish finder will serve your needs. It comes with a round transducer with 25ft. cable and a removable transducer float. You can use it for fishing off the dock, on a boat and ice fishing.
For your convenience, this fish finder comes with a lot of feature settings. It has 5 user selectable sensitivity, battery save mode, backlight mode, fish alarm, and unit of measure. To see these settings, the fish finder is backlit with a green LED. It can operate in temperatures that range from -20o to 70oC
- TN/Anti-UV LCD display
- Depth range from 3ft. to 328ft
- Round transducer with 25ft. cable
- Operate in temperatures that range from -20o to 70oC
- Uses 4AAA batteries
- Allows you to see the contents of the lake/ocean
- It can be used in any environment
- It can be used off the dock, on a boat or ice fishing
- Has a variety of convenient settings
- Removable transducer float
- The transmitter is waterproof but the receiver isn’t
8. Humminbird ICE-55 Flasher
The only difference between this Humminbird ICE-55 and Humminbird ICE-45 is the number of fiber optic displays. If you’re looking for a little more substance you need this ice fishing finder. Say goodbye to guessing of what is at the bottom of the lake/ocean. With this ice fishing finder, it instantly finds and reports what’s in the water depth you’re which makes catching fish easy in the freezing temperatures.
Its extreme temperature LCD technology doesn’t inhibit its movement. Even in heavy rainfall, snow or the hot sun, the fish finder works like a charm. You don’t have to guess especially when setting up the flasher scale. The fish finder automatically sets it up for you.
Its fully adjustable zoom lets you see any part of the water column in full detail up to 200ft depth capability. It also comes with a selectable dual frequency sonar This fish finder comes with 6-color fiber optic display with an LCD center. With it, you’ll be able to view settings during the day or at night. It comes inclusive of a battery and a carrying case.
- Selectable dual frequency sonar
- 6-color fiber optic display
- LCD center
- depth capability
- Extreme temperature LCD technology
- Finds and reports contents of lake/ocean water
- Can be used in extreme temperature
- Automatically sets the flasher scale
- You’ll be able to see up to 200ft water depth
- Comes with a battery, a carrying case, and a charger
- The transducer cord is very flimsy
9. HawkEye Fishtrax 1C Fish Finder
Hawk-Eye is an intelligent fish finder that is widely used by professional fishermen around the world because it has proven to be durable yet affordable. Moreover, a lot of fishermen have reported that it is very accurate and comes in several models with different features such as an LED backlight display which will be great for use during the night.
Plus, this fish finder with LED display can be mounted on your boat using a specially designed mounting gear that can be purchased from the manufacturer for an additional cost. Furthermore, the manufacturer has stated that this fish finder sensor can be used on both boats as well; therefore, this model can be used for any type of fishing including trolling and spear gun fishing.
Sadly, it is only available in one screen size and color however considering that this is one of the best fish finders on the market lots of customers have reported that they don’t mind the limited options when it comes to size and color. Lastly, the manufacturer offers good customer support and a 2-year warranty period which you can use in an instance of manufacturing defect.
- Fish depth scale
- Audible fish & depth alarms
- Dual beam sonar (200 & 83 kHz)
- VHD color Virtuview display with LED Backlight
- 200 kHz fish Trax intelligent sonar (14° Beam Angle)
- Hog fish finder is manufactured in Canada
- HD screen
- Can be mounted in different ways including on floatable boat
- Good customer support
- Comes with manufacturer warranty period
- Available in 1 color and screen size only
- Battery has been reported to be charging for very long time
- Maximum distance for accurate readings is only 220 ft.
- Can be difficult to set up at first
10. Lowrance HOOK² Ice Fishing Fishfinder
Another great fish finder from trusted manufacturer called Lowrance, this hook2 best ice fishing fish finder comes with a carrying bag and mash side pockets that you can use to store small items such as your keys or hooks for fishing. Moreover, the carrying bag contains a lower section for storage boxes that you can use to place your baits, fishing lines, hooks or other small items needed for successful fishing.
Furthermore, customers can choose from 6 different sizes of screen ranging from 4 to 12 inches plus customers can also choose between a high resolution and a solarmax display. Also, this fish finder comes with an auto-tuning thus you will not have to worry about setting it correctly up, however, if you do get any questions the manufacture has ensured that a clear instruction booklet is included in every packaging box of Lowrance Hook2 ice fishing fish finder.
Lastly, customers have reported loving this fish finder because it comes with broadband imaging sonar system that provides clear and accurate picture on the screen down to any landscape such as rocks, reefs or other objects that could be mistaken for fish on the screen.
- Autotuning sonar
- High-resolution, solarmax display
- Available in five screen sizes: 4″, 5″, 7″, 9″ and 12″
- Double the CHIRP sonar coverage of most fish finders
- Known and trusted brand
- Affordable compared to other models
- Mesh pockets on the side of the bag
- Comes with storage section
- Available in one color only
- Charger was reported to be taking too long to charge the fish finder
- Assembled in Thailand
How to Choose the Best Ice Fishing Fish Finder
In my previous article, I have covered a comprehensive guide on how to choose the best fish finder for ice fishing. If you’re in the market for ice fishing finders, there are questions you need to ask yourself. Like, have I read enough ice fishing finder reviews? What are some of the things I need to have in mind as I pick the best for me? Below are some of the major considerations to think about when purchasing a fish finder for ice fishing.
What Type of Frequency?
Majority of the ice fishing fish finders’ reviews have frequencies as a feature. There are single, dual and multiple frequency fish finders. All you need to choose is one that will work well for you. High frequencies work extremely well in shallow water. The higher the frequency, the more detail you get because the sonar waves sent are higher. If you fish in shallow waters, this is the frequency to go for. Vice versa is true for low frequencies.
What’s the Power Source?
This can be in terms of the wattage, the charging time and the longevity of the batteries. Generally, the best fish finders have a higher source of power/wattage. This ensures that you get a fast translation of what’s underwater. The lesser power the slower it will translate sonar.
The Number of Pixels
These will determine how visible the sonar translations will be on your screen. This means that if you have a fish finder with a higher number of pixels, the clearer it will be when the details are translated. It’s best to go for a higher resolution screen. This will ensure that every single detail will be clearly displayed on the screen. The higher the resolution the more expensive it will be but also the more accurate it will turn out to be.
Colored Screen? Yes or No?
Compared to a black and white screen, a colored screen will make it easier to read the sonar translations. A colored screen will also allow for the fish to stand out from debris or stones. The colored screen also makes reading easier in dark, cloudy or poorly lit conditions. Backlit LED lights also make it easier to distinguish between objects underwater. There are black and white screens though. So depending on your needs choose either of those.
The Material of the Transducer
Transducers come in a variety of materials. All you need to do is choose one that fits into your type of boat. Most transducers are made from plastic which can’t retain water and are weatherproof. They’re perfect for casual fishing trips. But if you do an intense fishing, you may need to consider transducers made from Stainless Steel, Bronze, wood or fiberglass.
Ice fishing is a great way to enjoy with family on the frigid winter waters. The experience gets better when you have the best ice fishing fish finder. Ice fishing also has a high risk of getting injuries. According to a research by new study, almost 8,200 people have suffered either ice fishing or traditional related injuries.
So there you have it. A rundown of the best ice fishing fish finders reviews. If you’re looking for an entry level ice fish finder with basic features, the Deeper Smart Sonar will be a great. You will enjoy some great features at a pocket friendly price. But if you want to enjoy some high end features and don’t mind spending more, go for the Marcum LX-7 Ice Fishing Sonar System and finding fish in the ice will no longer be a chore.