Do you want to catch fish as a source of income or as a hobby, you need to have the best spinning reels in your tackle box. Spinning reels work incredibly fine in helping you catch both small and large fish. Long gone are the days when we used a hook, line, and bait to catch fish.
Just as the world is advancing technologically, there have been improvements to make fishing more fun and unforgettable. Spinning reels are slowly becoming popular among anglers because of their simplicity and ease of use. So if you consider yourself an expert angler, a spinning reel is a must have. Not only are they efficient but also affordable.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Spinning Reels in 2020
- Top 10 Best Spinning Reel Reviews in 2020
- 1. Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel
- 2. Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
- 3. KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels
- 4. Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
- 5. Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel
- 6. Okuma Trio High-Speed Spinning Reel
- 7. Shimano Spirex RG Spinning Reels
- 8. Pflueger President Spinning Reel
- 9. Shimano Sienna Spinning Reel
- 10. Penn Wrath Spinning Fishing Reel
- How to Choose the Best Spinning Reels in 2020
- Final Verdict
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Spinning Reels in 2020
|Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel||Check Price|
|Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|KastKing Summer and Centron||Check Price|
|Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Okuma Avenger ABF||Check Price|
|Okuma Trio High Speed||Check Price|
|Shimano Spirex RG||Check Price|
|Pflueger President||Check Price|
|Shimano Sienna||Check Price|
|PENN Wrath Spinning Fishing Reel||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Spinning Reel Reviews in 2020
If you are looking for the best fishing spinning reels, you can find it tough to know which one suits your fishing requirement. As an expert, I made the reviews and guide to help anglers get only the most suitable spinning reel that will make fishing easier and fun.
1. Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel
If you’re looking for the best saltwater spinning reel, you’re in the right place. Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel is an incredible reel that will help you battle with big game fish in saltwater without compromising the durability and performance.
This reel is durable full metal body, side plate, rotor, and heavy-duty aluminum bail wire. All these offer durability making it the best saltwater spinning reel for the money. With the HT-100 carbon fiber drag system, you can achieve smooth casting all the time.
It provides a powerful drag while maintaining is effortlessness. It has fluid cranking with 5 sealed Stainless Steel ball bearings and anti-reverse bearing. The best spinning reels has a superline spool that requires no backing. It’s also braided ready and has line capacity rings marked at 1/3, 2/3 and full capacity.
- Full metal body
- Ht-100 carbon fiber drag system
- Fluid cranking
- 5sealed Stainless Steel ball bearings
- Superline spool
- Made from heavy duty Aluminum making it durable
- Provides for a powerful drag maintaining smoothness
- Sufficient ball bearings to make reeling easy
- Spool doesn’t require backing
- The line capacity allows you to see how much line is remaining
- The drag system isn’t too responsive as you adjust
2. Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
Available in 5000 and 8000 versions, the Daiwa Bg Spinning reel is practical. It can be seen as the best budget spinning reel with an infinite anti-reverse system. Made with anodized aluminum housing, it is designed to last. Of course, it is also smaller than many of its alternatives.
Those who need something lightweight can also consider it as well. But fathers looking for a gift for the sons may also consider it due to its affordability and lightweight construction as well. Made with a waterproof drag system, the spinning reel offers a durable choice in its affordable class.
Fisherman note it works well with intense use with weekly fishing sessions. Inside, the spinning reel is made with reliable oversized gears. They’re known for adding a bit more durability due to their larger contact area. With extra power and more torque, the large gear is inspired by a few of the more expensive alternatives.
With an ABS spool with an extra diameter size, the line is also truly available in its entire length. It even enjoys less casting friction which improves its durability but which also works to improve smoother cast. This is why the spinning reel is also recommended on shallow rivers in mountainous areas where the smoothness and precision of the cast need to be better.
- Hard body and side cover increase strength
- Air Rotor weighs 15% less than ordinary rotors
- 6+1 bearing drive with instant anti-reverse
- Carbon ATD is waterproof for reliable performance
- The oversized gear offers better torque
- Made with an ABS spool core
- Designed with a screw-in handle
- Not as lightweight as similar spinning reels
3. KastKing Summer and Centron Spinning Reels
If you’re looking for the best spinning reels to add to your tackle collection, look no further. This KastKing Summer and Centron Reel has exceptional features. If you have an excellent spinning rod, together with this reel, you’ll have the best spinning rod and reel combo.
It’s made using a narrow graphite frame design with a computer balancing system. This ensures for a lightweight and high-performance fishing experience. This spinning reel’s superior drag system offers incredible stopping power up to 20 lbs.
The hardened metal shaft, mesh drive gear, and precision machined pinion gear gives it more power. The reel comes complete with nine quality ball bearings and one instant stop one-way anti-reverse bearing.
This ensures for ultra-smooth performance. Other than its high performance, the reel looks good. It has an attractive brilliant finish and high strength. This is from the two colors anodized Aluminum spool with a power launch lip for further casting. This makes it the best freshwater spinning reel.
- Narrow graphite frame with a computer balancing system
- Stopping power of up to 20 lbs
- Superior gears
- Nine quality ball bearings
- Looks good and has high strength
- Its lightweight offering exceptional fishing experiences
- Has superior drag system with internal gears that gives the reel more power
- Anti-reverse bearing gives ultra-smooth performance
- Has an attractive and brilliant finish
- Made from durable Aluminum
- It uses a different handle compared to other reels
4. Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
On rare occasions, I just sit and look at a product mesmerized by what it can offer. Don’t get me wrong, the Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel is not revolutionizing fishing as we know it, but it offers much more than anyone could expect for its low price.
Some have already categorized it as one of the best ultralight spinning reel options to choose for any skill level. I’d also include it in a category of affordable durability if such a category would even exist. Nobody is going to take extra care of something which is very affordable such as the Okuma spinning reel.
But I’m glad to see fishermen don’t even need to be extra careful with it. Durability is enhanced by the Cyclonic Flow Rotor. This design allows air to circulate around the rotor better. In case there’s humidity inside, the flow of air reduces corrosion risks inside the reel. Other elements inside the reel are also a bit better than expected for such an affordable rate.
For example, the machine-cut gear is also made from brass, as seen on the best spinning reel alternatives. Furthermore, there are 8 bearings which offer a smooth experience. But its body also looks more expensive than it really is. This can be due to graphite construction. With a rigid forged zinc handle design, this spinning reel is a great step up from the classic entry-level alternatives.
- Quick-Set anti-reverse roller bearing
- Corrosion-resistant Blade Body Design
- Powerful, multi-disc drag system
- Machined aluminum spool
- Made with a graphite body
- Allows better air circulation next to the rotor
- Machine-cut brass pinion gear
- Slow 5-to-1 gear ration
5. Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel
If you’re looking for the best bass spinning reel, the Okuma Avenger ABF Graphite Bait Feeder Reel is one of the best in the market. This fishing reel is designed with corrosion resistant materials which makes it applicable in saltwater bodies.
These spinning reels are the first reels with a bait feeding system put in place. With it, you can disengage the spool and allow the line to run freely without opening the bail. This can be very convenient with sneaky fish. It comes with a multi-disk drag system with Japanese oiled felt drag washers.
This allows for an easy dragging once the fish have been solidly hooked. For a quick and smooth retrieval, the reel comes with six ball bearings and one quick-set-anti-reverse roller bearing. It has also been made with a patented S-Curve Oscillation system allowing for easy swinging back and forth.
The best spinning reels has been made from corrosion-resistant materials. The Aluminum handle design, Stainless Steel ball wire, ported Graphite spool and hydro block water tight drag seal makes the reel super durable.
- Bait feeding system
- Multi-task drag system with Japanese oiled felt drag washers
- Six ball bearings and quick-set-anti-reverse roller bearing
- Patented S-Curve Oscillation system
- Made from corrosion-resistant materials
- Allows for fish run away with the bait to prevent them from slipping away
- The reels allow you to drag the fish easily because of the oiled drag washers
- Gives a smooth retrieval with anti-reverse roller bearing
- It has been made from high-quality corrosion-resistant materials for durability
- An oscillation system allows for easy swinging back and forth
- It’s heavy on the hands. You may need to consider placing it somewhere as you spool or drag
6. Okuma Trio High-Speed Spinning Reel
This Okuma Trio High-Speed Spinning Reel is uniquely constructed to be the best trout spinning reel or for use when fishing other species as well. At its price, you won’t hesitate to get it as it’s the best spinning reel under 100.
It’s made with a hybrid spool design with a graphite arbor, rotor design, and Aluminum lip. This makes the reel appealing to the eyes as well as exceptionally durable. The reel has also incorporated the Precision Dual Force Drag System (DFD). It incorporates both surfaces of the spool in order to maximize high-end drag pressure.
This, in turn, offers optimal efficiency and overall smoothness. It comes complete with 10 BB+1 RB Stainless Steel bearings. These will ensure you get smooth retrieves and they will never rust or corrode. With its quick-set anti-reverse roller bearing, this spinning reel will give you value for your money.
- Hybrid spool design
- Graphite arbor, rotor design, and Aluminum lip
- Precision Dual Force Drag System
- 10BB+1RB Stainless Steel bearings
- Quick anti-reverse roller bearing
- Designed for a fishing variety of species
- Made from high-quality corrosion-resistant and durable materials
- Offers optimal efficiency and overall smoothness
- Gives smooth retrieves and drags
- It can’t handle heavy drags as it may bend easily
7. Shimano Spirex RG Spinning Reels
Nobody wants a spinning that is heavy making it difficult and tiring to use. Shimano Spirex RG Spinning Reels is one of the best ultralight spinning reel on the market today. This spinning reels has an A-RB bearings and shielded Stainless Steel ball bearings.
This allows for smooth retrieves when you are fishing. For those who are looking for best Shimano spinning reel, consider this as a great purchase. The reel features a strong and durable graphite construction making it durable. The cold forged Aluminum spool also makes it durable.
Comfort is very crucial when you are using a spinning reel. You want a reel that is easy to use so that you can spend more time on the waters. With the rubber handle grips, your hand will feel comfortable and offer a firm grip when you are fishing.
This reel allows for one-handed casting system with varispeed oscillation. It also features a propulsion line management system, this allows for easy dragging of the fish.
- A-RB bearings and shielded Stainless Steel ball bearings
- Lightweight graphite frame
- Forged Aluminum spool
- Rubber handle grips
- Propulsion line management
- Gives you smooth-as-silk retrieves
- Lightweight for easy dragging and transportation
- Allows for a firm comfortable grip
- Allows for one-handed casts
- The line capacity allows for a maximum 6pounds drag
- This reel has no reverse drag
8. Pflueger President Spinning Reel
While other spinning reels have at least 6 ball bearing, this Pflueger stands out. It comes with a total of 9 Stainless Steel ball bearings. This allows for an even smoother retrieval. With the on/off instant anti-reverse bearing, you can choose depending on your need the best application.
These spinning reels has been made with a lightweight graphite body and rotor. This allows for an easy time dragging, spooling or retrieving. It also has a machine ported and double anodized braid ready Aluminum spool making it the spinning reel for use with the best line for a spinning reel.
It also makes the spinning reel corrosion-resistant and therefore durable. The reel has been made with a smooth multi-disc drag system. It has been made from Stainless Steel and oiled felt washer. This allows for an easy time dragging since there won’t be any friction.
- Comes with 9 Stainless Steel ball bearings
- On/off instant anti-reverse bearing
- Lightweight graphite body and rotor
- Machine ported and double anodized braid ready Aluminum spool
- Smooth multi-disc drag system
- Gives an even smoother retrieval
- Has both on and off anti-reverse bearing for versatility
- Lightweight to allow for an easy time reeling
- Made from corrosion-resistant, durable materials
- Allows for an easy time dragging and spooling
- Complaints of the reel tangling lines
9. Shimano Sienna Spinning Reel
If you don’t want to spend more than $50 on a spinning reel, don’t worry there’s one for you. This Shimano Sienna Spinning Reel is the best cheap spinning reel. It may seem really cheap but it’s very functional.
It has been made with the propulsion line management system. This allows for longer casts and reduced backlash. It also comes with a super stopper II. It’s responsible for providing instant anti-reverse with no back play. This can be very convenient as you drag.
In addition to all that, it comes with varispeed oscillation controls spool-speed for even line lay. The oscillation controls allow for a back and forth rhythmic spooling and dragging. The reel has Dyna balance in the rotor and power roller II.
They’re responsible for eliminating wobble during retrieves and reducing twist from casting and receiving respectively. It has a graphite frame, side plate, and rotor instead of a metal. This makes it rust-resistant. It also has forged Aluminum spool that’s guaranteed to last for a long time.
- Propulsion line management system
- Super stopper II
- Varispeed oscillation controls
- Dynabalance in the rotor and power roller II
- Graphite frame with forged Aluminum spool
- Allows for longer casts and reduced backlash
- Provides instant anti-reverse with no back play
- Oscillation controls allows for a back and forth rhythmic spooling and dragging
- Dynabalance eliminates wobble during retrieves
- Made from high-quality graphite and Aluminum corrosion-resistant and durable material
- It has very short handles that can be difficult to use when reeling
10. Penn Wrath Spinning Fishing Reel
Seen as one of the best cheap spinning reels, Penn’s release is mainly recommended if you like simplicity. I remember the summer days were all I wanted was to quickly pack the basics and get out of the house as soon as possible.
Always go for the simplest gear in these situations and the Penn Wrath is one you choose in a heartbeat during the next summer as well. I once asked a friend to give me 2 reasons why I needed anything more than the Wrath. He went on about the number of bearings and the durability of the body.
But as it rivals the price of a few refreshments, can we honestly ask more from the Wrath spin fishing reel? I’ll, admit, it only comes with 2 steel bearings. But it has a responsive anti-reverse bearing which means it’s all that’s truly needed to go fishing.
Given I often wonder in hard to reach areas, it makes sense not to overcomplicate things. I won’t be carrying expensive gear up steep mountain paths, that’s for sure. This is why Penn’s release with its small graphite body is all I’m taking with me on spontaneous fishing adventures. I’m also borrowing it from friends without any worries.
- Line capacity rings
- 2 shielded stainless steel ball bearings
- Available in sizes 2500 to 8000
- One of the best rated spinning reel designs for beginners
- Based on a durable graphite body
- Includes an aluminum spool
- Not the smoothest option from Penn’s line
How to Choose the Best Spinning Reels in 2020
Best Spinning reels are a must have in every tackle box. The efficiency of one is that thin line between success and failure. This is the reason you need to know a few of the issues below before you settle on the best fishing spinning reels.
Where Will You Be Fishing?
It’s common knowledge to all fishing enthusiasts that you can fish in either saltwater or freshwater. When it comes to choosing the best fishing spinning reels, the water body is the number one consideration. If you plan on going fishing in saltwater bodies, you may need to choose the best saltwater spinning reel.
They have been designed to withstand that environment compared to freshwater spinning reels. They have rust-resistant bodies, ball bearings, and lines. The best freshwater spinning reels, on the other hand, are gentler since freshwater bodies aren’t too harsh.
Although the species of fish will determine the size of spinning reels you get, you can’t overlook the ball bearings. Even if you plan on catching the smallest species of fish, you’ll still need ball bearings, You need to get a best spinning reels that is smooth to use. This means no noise or vibrations when you reel. The ball bearings determine the quality of the spinning reels, in terms of number and the material used to make them.
The more the ball bearings the smoother your retrieves and reels are going to be. Take note that a spinning reel with 5 high quality ball bearings will perform exceptionally well compared to one with 12 poor quality ball bearings. When you go saltwater fishing, you may need to consider getting ball bearings made from Stainless Steel or other high-quality corrosion-resistant materials.
The best spinning reels come with either front or rear adjustments. The size and species of fish you fish will determine the adjustment you choose. Big heavy fish will require the front drag because the reel will be bigger for a larger drag area.
They are however very difficult to adjust when you’re trying to drag a big fish. Rear drags are easier to operate. You can make changes on them as you drag. They’re mostly lightweight so you can use one hand to cast and your other hand to tweak as you drag your catch. All in all, look for a drag that’s easy to adjust as you drag.
How Comfortable are You?
If you spend a lot of time fishing, you may need to consider how comfort the reel will feel in your hand. There are reels that can be interchanged from the left-hand to the right-hand. You need to consider getting these kinds of reels to relieve pressure, especially during prolonged expeditions.
You also need to consider the grip of the reel. Spinning reels with rubber handle grips are more firm and comfortable compared to those with metal handles. Your comfort should be important. If you’re not comfortable while dragging, you may end up hurting your hands or losing your catch.
Spinning reels are fairly cheap. You can get a very functional one if you have less than $50 and there are those that go up to $100 or more. So depending on your needs, preferences and how much money you want to spend on one, you can choose the expensive or cheapest spinning reels.
You should, however, know that the cheaper the spinning reel, the cheaper the materials and it will, therefore, serve you for a short time. Also different sized spinning reels cost differently. You may decide to have the different ones for more convenience.
So there you have it, complete reviews and a buying guide for the best spinning reels. If you’re planning on going fishing soon, I’d recommend any of the above spinning reels. The Penn Battle II Spinning Fishing Reel stood out for me because of the rubber handle grips.
With it, your hand will feel comfortable and you will have a firm grip. Alternatively, if you want a spinning reel that you can use in both freshwater and saltwater, get the Pflueger President Spinning Reel which also comes at an affordable price.