As a professional or competitive fisherman you need expensive budget for fishing equipment. When fishing is just a hobby than no need to break your bank. The old saying, “keeping up with the Joneses” can be applied to this sport as it can to many aspects of life. you have plenty of options with best spinning reels under 100 USD as well as cheap price spinning rod, fish finder under $200 etc.
If you have fished more than one time, you will understand how expensive the Fishing can be. There is an entire list of “necessities” – from fishing rods, fishing reels, fishing tackle, fishing clothes – you get the picture. Then, there are the fees associated with fishing – licenses, fees for fishing in certain areas (piers, state parks, private lakes).
As an avid fisherman, I can relate with wanting to have the best equipment. I mean, that big fish is going to look so much better if you catch it on a $500 rod and reel combo, right? Wait – what did I just say? Don’t worry – that fish will look just as good if you catch it on a $100 rod and reel.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Spinning Reels Under 100
- Top 10 Best Spinning Reels Under 100 Review in 2021
- 1. KastKing Summer Spinning Reel
- 2. Penn Battle II Spinning Reel
- 3. Piscinfun Flame Spinning Reel
- 4. Pflueger President Fishing Spinning Reel
- 5. Sougayilang Fishing Reel
- 6. Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
- 7. Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
- 8. Magreel Spinning Reel
- 9. Akataka Lightweight Spinning Reel
- 10. One Bass Fishing Reel
- Basic Fishing Supplies – You Need to Know Before Start Fishing
- Things To Consider Before Buying A Fishing Reels
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Spinning Reels Under 100
|KastKing Spinning Reels||Check Price|
|Penn Battle II Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Piscifun Flame Spinning Reels||Check Price|
|Pflueger President Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Sougayilang Fishing Reel||Check Price|
|Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Magreel Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|Akataka Spinning Reel||Check Price|
|One Bass Fishing Reel||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Spinning Reels Under 100 Review in 2021
1. KastKing Summer Spinning Reel
One of the best freshwater spinning reels, the KastKing Summer Spinning Reel is constructed of graphite frame and metal shaft. The combination is durable but remains lightweight. The Summer spinning real features 9 ball bearings that provides a smooth performance when retrieving your catch.
Top-notch performance at an affordable price. KastKing has only been around since 2011, but they are quickly making a name for themselves in the fishing world. Fishing provided relaxation for the founders as they attended college.
As they fished, they discussed their dreams of manufacturing innovation and affordable fishing reels. They also take education seriously and promote sustainable fishing practices as well as love and respect for our environment.
- Lightweight graphite frame
- Superior Drag System with stopping power up to 20 pounds
- Power launch lip allows you to cast farther
- Reel is corrosion-resistant for durability and a longer life
- Interchangeable handle allows you to easily switch from right-handed to left-handed
- Some fishermen state the reel becomes stiff quickly in saltwater
2. Penn Battle II Spinning Reel
Another reel from one of the top names in fishing is the Penn Battle II spinning reel. As one of the best spinning reels under 100, the Battle II has all the bells and whistles an avid angler wants – and needs. Introduced around 5 years ago, the Battle II is an upgraded and improved version of the Penn Battle.
One of the main improvements is the paint that makes the reel resistant to water and chemicals, protecting your reel from corrosion and rust. The sealed stainless-steel ball bearings are designed to withstand the spray of fresh and salt water.
Whether you are after that record-breaking large mouth bass or a record-breaking Spanish Mackerel, the Battle II spinning reel from Penn provides strength and a smooth retrieval.
- Full metal body and side plates for durability
- Carbon fiber drag system for smooth retrieval
- Anti-reverse feature keeps the handle from moving backwards when the drag is being pulled
- Superline spool allows you to load the reel with braid without monofilament backing
- Capacity rings tell you when the spool is 1/3, 2/3, and full
- The most common complaint is the heaviness of the reel, but that is to be expected from an all-metal construction
3. Piscinfun Flame Spinning Reel
A beautiful and exquisite fishing spinning reel, that is made with matte padded handle as well as an aluminum spool and stainless steel bearing system. Moreover this model is available in 4 different sizes ranging from 2000 to 5000 depending on what fish species you plan on fishing for.
Plus you can choose either from red colored spinning reel or green colored spinning reel. Customers have reported loving this model as it is durable, reliable and is made in the United States from American steel. Lastly it is lightweight therefore it will not be weigh down your fishing rod or lead you to feel tired even during long time fishing.
- Lightweight and durable
- Made from aluminum spool and stainless steel bearing system
- Available in several sizes and colors
- Coated anti-rust material
- Depending on the handle was reported to chip off after some time
- No warranty
- No carrying case
4. Pflueger President Fishing Spinning Reel
Another great spinning fishing reel that has been designed to be used in freshwater plus it comes with a distinctive nine bearing system hence you can use this fishing reel comfortably for large fish species such as tuna or swordfish. However keep in mind that it is also available in smaller models in case you wish to fish for smaller fishing species such as cod or salmon.
The Pflueger fishing spinning reel is available in two different colors but the manufacturer recommends using these models only for freshwater fishing as some parts might rust and corrode in saltwater. Some customers have reported that by coating the spinning reel in a lubricant you can even use it in saltwater provided that you will rinse it under running water immediately after fishing.
- Comes with a carrying case
- 30-day money back guarantee
- Good customer support
- Available in 2 different colors and sizes
- Made in the United States
- Heavy compared to other similar
5. Sougayilang Fishing Reel
If you are after a durable, smooth, strong, and attractive spinning reel but you can’t part with more than $100, then this model is worth considering. Designed with 13+ 1 ball bearings, this spinning reel will make your fishing expedition smooth and fun without compromising performance.
It is robust and designed with an anti-reverse bearing to give you a smooth performance. It also comes with a CNC aluminum spool that features more line capacity and includes a free spare graphite spool.
The Sougayilang has excellent construction, and the graphite frame is corrosion-resistant. Its compact and lightweight design will give you an easy time casting, and you can use it interchangeably with your right or left hand. Other great specs include a superior drag system, mesh drive gear, and main metal shaft.
- Lightweight and compact design
- The smooth and powerful drag system
- Great appearance
- Strong and durable
- The spare spool is prone to breakage
6. Okuma Ceymar Spinning Reel
Although this spinning reel is lightweight and small in size, it can get the job done. It is one of the spinning reels that will let you enjoy your fishing expedition without worrying much about the weight or storage space.
This spinning reel features a powerful multi-disc drag system and a heavy-duty aluminum spool that delivers strength and powerful performance. It is also constructed with a rotor system designed with Okuma RESII computer balancing to ensure that the reel spins at high speed without wobbling. Besides, the open rotor design allows it to dry quickly to prevent corrosion.
Another impressive feature of this spinning reel is that it comes with a wide range of models for different species. For instance, there is the Ceymar spinning reel for small freshwater fishing, inshore saltwater fishing, and big freshwater fishing.
- Open rotor design
- Compact and lightweight
- Aluminum handle for control
- Available in a plethora of models
- Well-built and strong
- Great value for money
- Line capacity is lower
- The line can get caught behind the spool
7. Daiwa Bg Spinning Reel
Another best spinning reels under 100 USD is the Daiwa BG spinning reel. The BG spinning reel works well for freshwater and saltwater fishing. The ABS swept spool is designed for greater casting distance with fewer loops or wind knots.
In 1955, Daiwa’s first reel rolled of the assembly line. Bases in Cypress, California, Daiwa has been a household name in fishing supplies since. Daiwa places an emphasis on innovation and quality and are committed to provide affordable fishing supplies for the casual fisherman as well as the professional fisherman.
- Aluminum ABS spool works well with monofilament and braided line – no mono backing needed for braided line
- Waterproof Drag System provides a strong drag without allowing water in
- Anodized Aluminum housing for durability
- Heavy duty paddle on the handle provides comfort for long days of casting
- Easily adjustable drag system
- Some fishermen stated the retrieval is not as smooth as other comparable reels
8. Magreel Spinning Reel
This is another reel below $100 that comes with 9 ball bearings and a one-way bearing for a smooth performance. It has a CNC aluminum spool and an aluminum handle that is foldable and can be used interchangeably with the left and right hand.
Additionally, it features high-efficiency triple drag washers and a zinc alloy gear, making it an excellent spinning reel. The drag system incorporated in the Magreel spinning reel will give you an exceptionally smooth performance whether you want to fish on the beach or you want to take a long shot.
For the easy casting of larger fish, this reel is available in 4 models and a wide range of colors. Anglers will also be pleased to know that it is corrosion-resistant. Hence, you can be assured that it will continue to operate powerfully for a long time.
- Highly anti-corrosion construction
- Ultra-smooth performance
- Foldable and interchangeable aluminum handle
- Available in 4 models
- It may not be lightweight for some anglers
- Clutch may stop working
9. Akataka Lightweight Spinning Reel
Premium Japanese spinning reel made from durable aluminum and stainless steel for the spool and bearing system. Moreover it is made with highly efficient triple disc drug that includes a carbon fiber layer hence you can use this fishing spinning reel for saltwater and freshwater fishing alike as it is very unlikely to corrode or rust.
Furthermore customers who have purchased this Akataka spinning reel have reported it to be very comfortable to hold and very good as well as precise in casting regardless of what fishing line you will be using.
- Japanese quality
- Beautiful design
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Good casting
- Comes without a carrying case
10. One Bass Fishing Reel
Anglers who want an affordable freshwater and saltwater spinning reel will not go wrong with this unit. This reel offers a smooth performance thanks to its 12 ball bearings and 1 anti-reverse bearing. Hence, you can fish with confidence that you won’t lose balance.
This fishing reel from One Bass is also designed with durability in mind. It features an aluminum spool, super hard PT gears, and a C4LF carbon-fiber rotor. Something else that stands out is the strong yet lightweight magnesium frame.
The drag system of this model is crafted from lightweight and strong carbon fiber that ensures smooth and powerful performance. There is also a carbon rotor and side plate and a lightweight aluminum handle to make things easier.
To ensure perfect line lay, this spinning reel comes with a smooth oscillation system. This also helps to increase the casting distance. It offers exceptional performance in both saltwater and freshwater.
- Great versatility
- Smooth and long-lasting performance
- Great line lay
- Increased casting distance
- Line clip may fall off
- Line snaps when pressure is applied
Basic Fishing Supplies – You Need to Know Before Start Fishing
If you are a beginner fisherman, it is not necessary to sink thousands of dollars into equipment to get started. You can start by purchasing the basics and build from there. Here is a list of basic supplies:
- Fishing License – be sure to purchase a license before your first fishing trip. It can be purchased from the state, from the state-operated fishing sites, big box stores such as Walmart, bait and tackle stores, or online.
- Fishing rod and reel – can be purchased as a combo or can be purchased separately.
- Tackle Box – Choose a tackle box that will hold the gear you need but will be easy to transport and easy to access when you need to replace tackle.
- Fishing line – size depends on type of fishing you will be doing. Larger line for larger fish.
- Hooks – purchase a variety of sizes and types.
- Sinkers/Weights – purchase a variety of sizes and types.
- Swivels – swivels are often necessary for putting your fishing rig together.
- Soft plastic, such as plastic worms
- Spinner baits
- Hard lures
- Filet Knife
Things To Consider Before Buying A Fishing Reels
It would be a little difficult to catch a fish without a rod and reel. As I stated above, you can purchase a combo that is already put together (rod and reel) or you can purchase each item separately. The first thing you need to do is to decide what type of reel you need. There are basically three types of reels.
- Spincast – Most people have heard of this type of reel as a closed-face reel. With a Spincast reel, everything is inside the reel cover. A hole allows the line to be cast. This type of reel works well for children and some beginner fishermen.
- Baitcasting – The baitcasting reel is one of the most difficult to learn how to use. Because you must control the spinning spool with your thumb, this type is most often used by more experienced fishermen. It takes a lot of practice to master the baitcasting reel.
- Spinning – The spinning reel is the most common type of reel. It does not require a long learning curve and can be used successfully by beginning fishermen. My 5-year-old niece and nephew learned to cast using a spinning reel. The spinning reel is more accurate than a closed-faced, easier to learn than the baitcasting reel, and offers a wider variety of options as far as line size is concerned.
We are going to look at spinning reels, so you have a few comparisons if you choose to use a spinning reel.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: How Full Should a Spinning Reel Be?
A: Filling a spool incorrectly could result in a lot of problems down the road. Hence, take care not to fill the spool too much. Fill to within about a 1/8th of an inch from the outer edge of the spool’s lip.
Q: Is the Fluorocarbon Line Suitable for Spinning Reels?
A: As long as the fluorocarbon line is under 8 lbs, you can use it on a spinning reel. Heavier lines will end up tangling on the reel and will cause problems with the casting. If you cannot trust the strength of a line lighter than 8lbs, then pick a braided line to attach to a fluorocarbon leader.
The most important aspects of fishing are enjoying the sport and feeding the family. Professional and/or competitive fishermen will most often use more expensive gear. However, having the most expensive gear is not necessary for the casual fisherman. From the best spinning reels reviewed above, my choice for the best spinning reels under 100 USD is the Penn Fierce Spinning Reel.
Not only is it manufactured by one of the best-known companies for fishing supplies, it is built out of the highest quality material and built to last through many days of fishing. Whether freshwater or saltwater, the Fierce is designed to withstand all the punishment an avid angler doles out. With paint that protects the reel from salt spray and chemicals, there is no need to worry about corrosion or rust that can occur after long days on the water. Fish without worry.
Another plus is the Superline spool that allows you to place braided lines directly on the spool. On many reels, it is necessary to begin with the monofilament line until the reel is covered, then splice in the braid. This can create an opportunity for losing a big fish if it takes a lot of line off and your splice fails. Not only do you lose the fish, you lose all the braided line (which is more expensive than mono).
Everything about the Penn Fierce is heavy-duty and designed with the angler in mind. Designed for durability, smooth retrieval, long casts, and the angler’s comfort, the Penn Fierce is one of the best spinning reels under 100 that you will find on the market today – from a company that has been tried and tested and continues to provide innovative fishing supplies.