There are many reasons to wear a best waterproof watches while participating in water sports. Perhaps you need a timer, or simply need to know the time while on your boat fishing. As more people participate in water activities such as fishing, skiing, swimming, and boating, watch companies compete more to provide the most water-resistant watches available.
What is the difference between waterproof and water resistant? Waterproof indicates that the item can be immersed in water with no chance of water penetrating the outside core. A diving watch would need to be waterproof. Water resistant indicates that the item can be used around, or even submerged, for a specific amount of time with a specific amount of pressure. If you are active in activities that involve water, you will want to be sure you have the best waterproof watches.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Waterproof Watches in 2020
- Top 10 Best Waterproof Watches Review in 2020
- 1. Garmin Fenix Sapphire Watch
- 2. Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch
- 3. Citizen Men’s Eco-Drive Watch
- 4. Casio Men’s G-Shock Solar Atomic Watch
- 5. Garmin vívoactive 3 Smartwatch
- 6. Orient Men’s Japanese Automatic Watch
- 7. Timex Expedition Field Chrono Watch
- 8. Seiko Men’s Automatic Analogue Watch
- 9. Nixon Men’s Analog Quartz Watch
- 10. TAG Heuer Men’s Watch
- What to Look for When Choosing a Waterproof Watches
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Waterproof Watches in 2020
|Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire||Check Price|
|Fitbit Ionic Watch||Check Price|
|Citizen Eco-Drive||Check Price|
|Casio G-Shock||Check Price|
|Garmin vívoactive 3||Check Price|
|Orient Japanese Watch||Check Price|
|Timex Men’s Chronograph Watch||Check Price|
|Seiko Automatic Watch||Check Price|
|Nixon Chrono Watch||Check Price|
|TAG Heuer Watch||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Waterproof Watches Review in 2020
1. Garmin Fenix Sapphire Watch
The Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire is a stylish multi-sport watch. Its ruggedness and elegance make this a great watch for work, dress, and play. The Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire watch feature a sapphire lens that is scratch-resistant, and the watch is water-resistant to 100 meters.
10 ATM (100 meters) indicates that a watch can be worn safely for swimming, fishing, snorkeling, poolside diving, and while participating in sports – though not recommended for scuba diving or jet skiing.
The Fenix 5X smart watch provides many features that allow you to track your activities and navigate the world around you. Some consumers consider this one of the best waterproof fitness watches on the market.
- The Fenix 5X is equipped with several navigation features.
- This watch has a long battery life.
- Built-in monitoring systems include.
- Sports profiles allow you to track your success.
- The Fenix 5X is WI-FI capable and free, customized watch.
- Some customers stated some of the apps can be a little on the expensive side.
2. Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch
As with most Fitbit products, the Fitbit Ionic Smartwatch is geared toward health and fitness. This smartwatch is water-resistant up to 50 meters (5 ATM) and tracks swimming stats such as duration, number of laps, and calories burned.
The Fitbit Ionic is also equipped with contactless payment technology that allows you to use your debit or credit card at any location that accepts contactless payments. The Ionic is one of the best waterproof watches for men on the go.
The Ionic has multiple sports modes and many apps that can be downloaded. This watch will track your activity 24 hours a day, including sleeping time. It tracks such things as heart rate, steps taken per day, and how many calories you burn each day. Filled with features that allow you to become the healthiest you possible.
- This watch stores up to 300 songs for your listening pleasure.
- Equipped with built-in GPS and heart rate monitor.
- Gives you insight into your sleeping patterns by displaying how long you remain in each sleep stage – light, deep, and REM.
- The Ionic has a quick release button that allows you to change bands at a moment’s notice – you can choose from a variety of Fitbit accessory bands in different styles and colors.
- An ongoing problem with the Ionic seems to be “waking” the watch up by flicking your wrist – it is not consistent with this step.
3. Citizen Men’s Eco-Drive Watch
The Citizen Eco-Drive Promaster Diver Watch is another watch the never needs a battery. Though not powered by movement, it is powered by light and fully charged has a power reserve of around 180 days. Never worry about recharging, even in total darkness.
A 20 ATM ranking (200 meters) makes this an ideal watch to wear while participating in all water sports, even diving in depths that do not require a tank.
The Promaster Diver watch is super luminous, and it is easy to read underwater or in the dark. It is stylish enough to wear in casual settings and rugged enough for all your hardcore outdoor activities.
- Oversized hands and markers along with powerful illumination makes this an ideal watch for divers.
- The case is stainless steel with a tough, water-resistant polyurethane strap and can withstand a lot of punishment.
- Solar power and 180-day power reserve keeps your watch running smoothly in all conditions – and if stored when you aren’t diving, there is no worry about recharging before use.
- The Promaster Dive watch is suitable for all water sports, though it does not have tracking or GPS capabilities.
4. Casio Men’s G-Shock Solar Atomic Watch
The Casio Men’s G-Shock Solar Watch is shock-resistant and water-resistant. This watch was built with the outdoors man in mind and is rugged enough to stand up to most any situation you find yourself in.
It has a water-resistance rating of 20 ATM (200 meters) and can be safely used for all water sports, including recreational diving. It is also an accurate tool to have for forest rangers and rescue crews.
- World time capable with 31 time zones
- Features include a digital compass, thermometer, altimeter, and barometer – giving you all the information you need when you are in the great outdoors.
- It is equipped with 5 daily alarms as well as a stop watch and countdown timer.
- This G-Shock Solar Watch has a built-in solar battery that never has to be replaced.
- Some consumers feel your body heat makes the thermometer less than accurate.
5. Garmin vívoactive 3 Smartwatch
Color choices and style of the Garmin vivoactive Smartwatch make this one of the best waterproof watches for women. This watch features Garmin Pay, which allows you to pay for purchases using your watch.
5 ATM (50 meters) allows this watch to be worn during athletic sports, around shallow water, and can withstand splashes when you are around the sink, fishing, or recreational swimming.
From the Garmin store, you can download many free apps, widgets, and watch faces so that your vivoactive watch is personalized to your needs.
- The vivoactive comes preloaded with over 15 apps, including GPS, sports apps, and more.
- No phone connection is required for GPS and sports apps to work properly and track your workouts.
- Equipped with wrist-based heart rate technology from Elevate, your vivoactive watch allows you to track your heart rate during exercise as well as alerts you if your stress level is rising.
- With the built-in GPS and sports apps available.
- Some consumers believe the GPS feature takes too long to engage.
6. Orient Men’s Japanese Automatic Watch
The Ray II dive watch is one of the budget-friendly dive watches. It’s now become a legend and given Orient’s reliability, it’s certainly going to remain appealing into the future. As one of the best budget waterproof watches, it has very good dive durability. With water-resistance to 200 meters, it is hard to match at this price.
Made with a 41 mm case size, the dive watch is rather compact. This is why I like it on my small wrist more than others. But the most appealing part to me is its mechanical mechanism. There’s no need to worry about batteries. At the same time, Orient doesn’t have the mechanical issues affordable Seiko divers are known for.
Made with a 120-click bezel, the dive watch is reliable in any conditions. I take it swimming and into the shower with me. Furthermore, unlike other affordable dive watches, it comes with a good bracelet that doesn’t need an upgrade anytime soon.
Since it is one of the best waterproof watches, it has wide applications. Some use it while fishing, diving or spearfishing. Others use it for hiking and similar activities. But if you look closely around the city streets, you’ll see it often as a casual watch for normal outfits. Its versatility for the price is impressive. Given its smaller case size, it may as well be a comfortable choice for women.
- Made with an Orient movement
- Practical at a 41 mm diameter
- Water-resistance to 660 feet
- The chapter ring is misaligned
7. Timex Expedition Field Chrono Watch
I’ve always loved Timex. It’s one of those brands which I’m sure is part of an enthusiast collection while also being affordable. The Expedition Field Chronographs have a certain charm inspired by the 1940 s. It represents a watch mainly considered for its design.
With an added military charm, it has printed numerals in increments of 5, up to 60. Measuring up to 1/20th of a second, the 30-minute chronograph is a nice touch for any outdoor activities. As one of the best cheap waterproof watches, it’s water-resistant to 100 meters or 330 feet.
For such an affordable watch to have 100 m water-resistance is still uncommon. I know a few dive watches which have a similar resistance. Made with a 43 mm case, the watch is large and easy to read on the wrist. It looks fantastic paired with a 20 mm strap that works with all types of camouflage gear.
But there are so many rubber or leather straps to choose from that it’s rare to see it on its original strap. If you don’t want to use a stopwatch and you want to measure the time it takes for your line to submerge while fishing, the watch is worth the purchase. Even with its mineral crystal glass, it is a must-have given its affordability.
- The design is timeless
- Water-resistant to 100 meters
- Comes with an elegant leather strap
- Chronograph hands don’t line up precisely
8. Seiko Men’s Automatic Analogue Watch
The Seiko Men’s Diver’s Automatic Watch is one of the best men’s waterproof watches on the market. This watch functions without a battery – it is automatically powered by the movement of your arm. This eliminates the necessity of charging a battery and the worry of losing a charge while enjoying the great outdoors.
With an ATM of 20 (200 meters), this watch is suitable for all high-impact water sports as well as scuba diving. (Not suitable for deep-sea diving). If you are searching for the best boy’s waterproof watch, this watch might be one to consider. It fits most wrists and is made from stainless steel to guarantee durability.
- The Seiko Diver’s watch is powered automatically by your movements – and has a power reserve of approximately 41 hours.
- High luminosity allows you to see the time while diving.
- Display windows show the day of the week and the date – can be set to English or Spanish.
- The watch comes with a rubber diver’s band, but additional bands are available in leather and stainless-steel links.
- Some customers stated the time does not remain accurate and the watch can lose or gain minutes throughout the day.
9. Nixon Men’s Analog Quartz Watch
With a water-resistance rating of 30 ATM (300 meters), this watch could be one of the best waterproof watches for surfing. This watch is suitable for all water sports, including scuba diving and deep-sea diving.
- This watch has three subdials that include a date window, a 24-hour interface, and a seconds subdial.
- It is powered by a Miyota Japanese quartz 6-hand chronograph.
- The Nixon’s Men’s Quartz watch is made of solid stainless steel for durability.
- It is equipped with a countdown timer.
- Though this watch is equipped with a countdown timer, it is not a smartwatch that can track activities and is not equipped with sports apps that assist you with your workouts.
10. TAG Heuer Men’s Watch
Often called the best waterproof sports watch, this quartz movement TAG Heuer has its appeal with many fans. It is a quartz movement watch, but it is made to a high standard. Take its sapphire glass, for example, you’ll find it very hard to scratch.
So who is the watch for? I’d say it’s for everybody. While mechanical purists will find it a hard pill to swallow, you need to try it on your own. Everything lines up properly and the watch is going to be more precise than a mechanical waterproof watch losing about 5-20 seconds every day.
Made with only two Arabic numerals, the watch is water-resistant to 200 meters. It also comes with a standard rubber band so it’s made for action. Alternative, you can purchase it with a metal bracelet if you want to dress it up a bit. This Swiss watch needs no further detailing. You either like it or you don’t.
If you’re not afraid to use a quartz movement watch, it may be the right option for you. Unlike many of the best water resistant watches, it also alerts the user when the battery is about to die. The second’s hand jumps every few seconds so that you’ll know it’s time for a new battery. What an interesting feature this is and I wonder why we don’t see it on other quartz watches as well.
- TAG Heuer quality control
- Water-resistant to 200 meters
- Includes low battery warnings
- The rubber band feels cheap
What to Look for When Choosing a Waterproof Watches
People often have specific characteristics they want in products. If you are choosing a watch that is water resistant, chances are that you will be using it for outdoor activities – including water sports. Construction and design are important to consider. You want a watch with solid construction that will hold up to the activities you plan to participate in – camping, hiking, surfing, swimming, fishing. You will also want a sturdy wristband that will decrease the risk of your losing the watch. A few more notable features are listed below.
There are various levels of water resistance when it comes to watches. The water resistant mark is most often stated in meters. The water resistant mark refers to the static water pressure – not the depth in which the watch can be immersed.
Here is a Breakdown of the Marks
- Waterproof (no number) – splash-proof only and can withstand small splashes and/or rain – do not immerse
- Waterproof 30m – splash-proof, waterproof in tiny amounts of water (puddle, cup)
- 50m Waterproof – Can be worn for swimming
- Waterproof 100m – Can be worn for shallow diving and swimming
- Waterproof 200m – Can be worn for fresh-water diving
- 300m Waterproof – Can be worn for fresh-water and deep-sea diving
Another Measurement of Water Resistance is a Water Rating
- 1 ATM = 10m
- 3 ATM = 30m
- 5 ATM = 50m
- 10 ATM = 100m
- 20 ATM – = 200m
- 30 ATM = 300m
Shock resistant is defined as “strong or resilient enough to sustain minor impacts without damage to the internal mechanism”. A shock resistant watch is one that can withstand the impacts of a moving body without harming the internal mechanisms that make the watch work.
For instance, a shock resistant watch would be able to withstand the arm movements of a tennis player or swimmer without messing up the internal mechanisms. Or, it would be able to withstand a drop from a specific height without damaging the inside. Shock resistance can play a vital role in protecting your watch from damage during outdoor activities.
Battery life is another vital component of choosing a watch – especially when worn for outdoor activities such as camping, hiking, or fishing. Your choices can include battery-operated, mechanical, or solar-powered watches.
For battery-powered watches, it is extremely important to note the battery life duration. Mechanical watches present less of a problem if you remember to wind your watch. Solar-powered watches are great for outdoor activities and usually have a long battery life with access to no light.
With so many options available, it can be a daunting task. Whether you are looking for the best women’s waterproof watch, the best waterproof watch for nurses, or the best waterproof watch under $50, there is something for everyone. When selecting the best waterproof watch from the ten I reviewed, I applied several criteria. First, what is the water-resistance number? Second, is it a smartphone with technology to help you train and monitor your progress? Third, since we are reviewing waterproof watches, is it the best waterproof watches for swimming?
Though the dive watches have a higher water-resistance number, the Fenix 5X is the best waterproof watches because it is submersible, and it allows you to track your activity throughout the day and night. The multisport GPS capability allows you to record and create a customized workout routine that suits you best. Another notable feature is the battery life. The battery can last up to 12 days in smartwatch mode and up to 20 hours in GPS mode. This can be extremely important if you lose your way while hiking or walking in unfamiliar terrain.
The Garmin Fenix 5X Sapphire is classy enough to wear all the time and rugged enough to withstand the most strenuous workout. GPS with maps gives you the confidence you need to step out of your safe zone and explore the world around you. The built-in features plus the free downloadable apps and watch faces allow you to personalize you entire experience – from showing off your sense of style to creating the most efficient and healthy workouts so that you are always in top shape.