A synonym for fishing is relaxation and escape from stress. It is known that just staying by the water relaxes people and reduces stress levels. So I want to help you and ease the somewhat more tedious processes in this activity. I will describe in detail below how to set up a fishing reel so you save as much time as possible and get ready to enjoy fishing very quickly.
The time required to set up a fishing reel depends on your experience. If this is your first time doing this, it may take you even half an hour, but don’t worry, with exercise you will get better and faster. I’ll also try to show you the easiest way to set up a fishing reel.
At the very beginning, I would like to give you some tips on how to prepare and make this process easier for yourself. Prepare everything you need to set up a fishing reel, and by that, I mean a rod, scissors, a reel, et cetera.
Table of Contents
- What Are the Basic Types of Reels?
- How to Set Up a Fly Fishing Reel?
- What is the Easiest Way to Set Up a Fishing Reel (a Spinning One)?
- How to Set Up a Fishing Rod and Reel (a Baitcasting One)?
- How to Set Up a New Fishing Reel (a Spin-casting One)?
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
What Are the Basic Types of Reels?
If you don’t already know, let’s find out what type of fishing reel you own and find out more about their features. First of all, I will go ahead and list the four basic types. Those are the spin-cast fishing reel, the spinning reel, the bait casting fishing reel, and the fly fishing reel.
The Spin-Cast Fishing Reel
We will start with the oldest version of the fishing reel. This version is ideal for beginners. Also, surprisingly, it is cheaper than the others. Since it is very easy to use, if you are a beginner it would be best to get this type. If there are some tangles, it is very easy to untangle it.
The Spinning Reel
The position of this reel is mostly below the rod, which makes it easier to hold the rod and does not create much pressure on the wrists. The disadvantage of this type is that it can lead to line jamming or tangling, but this has become less common in recent times because manufacturers are introducing oscillating spool mechanisms to solve this problem.
The Baitcasting Reel
Just the opposite of the previous type, with this type of reel, the bait reel is placed above the rod. They are usually made of aluminum or stainless steel and have a good mechanism that prevents the wind from tangling the line when rewinding.
The Fly Fishing Reel
Perhaps, not the most practical and easiest to use is the fly fishing reel. Although there is both a manual and an automatic version of this reel it can be said that both versions are not as great due to their high weight.
More modern versions of this reel are adapted to everyone, in the sense that it can be placed on the left or right side of the rod as well, depending on the user’s preferences. Also, somewhat more modern versions are made of composite materials that are extremely resistant to the heat generated by friction during line drawing.
In case you haven’t noticed so far, all these reels have the same purpose, but they differ greatly in the material they are made of, efficiency, their position, and of course the price, so I will explain their placement for each of them on a rod.
How to Set Up a Fly Fishing Reel?
Before we start with the explanation, I would like to point out that there are several methods for setting up this reel. But this one is perhaps the most useful because it is used for a typical rod.
- Connect the backing to the reel. Take care of how much backing you will put on the reel because you do not want to have too much. Because there will be rubbing of the line on the reel.
- After completing this step, wrap the end around the middle of the reel and tie a knot. Once you secure the knot, start winding the backing.
- When you have finished winding to a length you’re happy with, snip it.
- Next, it is time to set up a flying line. If you have one with a welded loop at both ends of the line, the process will be much easier for you. Fasten a clinch knot through the loop with the backing and trim the end of the mark.
- Make sure your knot is clean and streamlined. Repeat the same winding process with the fly line. The line mustn’t touch the line guard at the very end. If it still hits the metal, you can solve the mistake by taking a step back and removing part of the backing.
- Connect the leader to the flying line. That would be the end of this procedure, which I think is good and will serve you well if you follow the steps nicely.
What is the Easiest Way to Set Up a Fishing Reel (a Spinning One)?
This type of reel is very well known to both beginners and experts. There are different sizes and shapes on the market, and you choose the one that is suitable for the type and size of fish you plan to fish. I suggest, from personal experience, to use this reel with a spinning rod.
- Place the line on the reel and through the rod guides all the way to the top of the rod.
- Flip the bail upward so it would open.
- After doing this, wrap the wire around the spool twice. Don’t forget to tie the rope afterward and close the bale.
- The next step is to turn the handle clockwise until the line reaches eight inches to the edge of the coil. Then you need to stop winding and cut all the superfluous lines that are placed after the end of the stick.
- Then tie the bait with some of the efficient fishing knots and adjust the drag on the reel. Finished!
How to Set Up a Fishing Rod and Reel (a Baitcasting One)?
Here is one reel model that is extremely popular among anglers, especially in the case of freshwater fishing. Very light, but strong, they stand out from other types of reels. If you want to set up a fishing boiler like this, follow the steps below. It is necessary to coil the wire only ten centimeters from the top and make sure that the magnet that slows down the spool is set to the maximum.
You must tighten the tension knob in the next step. Keep in mind that when you cast a fishing rod, you need to utilize your shoulders and wrist while doing so. While throwing the line, press the button on the spool, and don’t forget to choose the best lure for the best catch.
How to Set Up a New Fishing Reel (a Spin-casting One)?
The process of assembling a rod, reel, and fishing line can seem complicated and reduce people’s desire to fish. For this type of recreation and entertainment, it is necessary to be very patient and concentrated. To have a good catch, you have to use a bit of elbow grease and some brain power to put the rod together properly.
Maintain and clean your fishing gear regularly after each fishing trip. This will make the assembly process easier and extend the life of your equipment. Each of us has some favorite ways to handle a rod. Some like to hold it in their hand, and some like to attach it to a boat or the ground.
However, it is very important that you assemble that rod correctly and that you fasten the reel nicely to the rod. When winding the fishing line for the rod, it is very important to be meticulous and take care not to overlap the line. Drag a line through the cone of your reel. After doing this, carefully tie one of the knots and thread the main cable. So that the second knot tightens the first one.
Once you have completed all these processes, turn the cone forward. This type of reel is ideal if you are aiming to catch salmon. And if you set up fishing reel the right way, be sure that you will be able to serve the whole family delicious and fresh fish.
I hope that the instructions I have given you in this text are really useful and understandable. That you will be able to quickly and easily master the technique of assembling a reel. Keep the fishing reel setting tips in mind and you’ll have an easier time. Knowing how to set up a fishing reel and actually getting down and doing it are two different things.
Don’t be scared if you don’t succeed at first. It takes time and patience to learn this technique like any other. If with the product you buy & get some instructions on how to assemble this reel. It would be best to follow it because it is assembled specifically for that type. Otherwise, follow some of the tips given in this text.