A baitcasting rod is a fishing rod designed to be used in combination with a baitcasting reel. Best Baitcasting rods give the angler more control on the cast and on the fight with larger fish. The baitcasting reel is mounted to the top of the rod and the angler controls the line coming off the reel with the thumb or a forefinger trigger.
The line guides on a baitcasting rod face upward rather than downward like the guides on a spinning rod. With the line guides (or eyes) facing upward, the line is supported by the actual rod when you have a fish on, which results in fewer broken guides. Baitcasting rods and reels are used for larger lures and heavier line when fishing for big fish. Baitcasting reels allow you to cast further and with more accuracy when using thicker line.
The main drawback for baitcasting rod and reels is that it is extremely easy to tangle (or bird nest) the line when casting because you control the speed in which the line travels from the reel. It takes dedication and a lot of practice to learn to cast a baitcasting rod and reel.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Baitcasting Rods in 2020
- Top 10 Best Baitcasting Rods Review in 2020
- 1. Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Casting Rod
- 2. Entsport E Series — Camo Legend Casting Rod
- 3. Falcon HD Casting Rod
- 4. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Fishing Rod
- 5. Berkley Lightning Casting Rod
- 6. Cadence CR7B Super Lightweight Baitcasting Rods
- 7. St Croix Mojo Inshore Casting Rod
- 8. Akataka Spinning Casting Fishing Rod
- 9. Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Fishing Rod
- 10. Rippin Lips Super Cat Casting Rod
- Things to Consider Before Buying a Baitcasting Rod
- Fishing Safety
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Baitcasting Rods in 2020
|Ugly Stik GX2 Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Entsport E Series Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Falcon Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Rod||Check Price|
|Berkley Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Cadence CR7B Baitcasting Rods||Check Price|
|St Croix Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Akataka Spinning Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Rod||Check Price|
|Rippin Lips Super Cat Casting Rod||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Baitcasting Rods Review in 2020
1. Shakespeare Ugly Stik GX2 Casting Rod
UglyStik is know for durability and strength. The GX2 is designed to be durable as well as sensitive. The UglyStik by Shakespeare combines quality graphite and fiberglass to create a rod that is sensitive enough to detect the smallest strike and strong enough to get your catch into the boat, onto the pier, or onto the bank.
The GX2 is one of the best budget baitcasting rods on the market. For over 115 years, Shakespeare has been one of the go-to brands for affordable, high-quality fishing tackle and products. For a century, Shakespeare and the UglyStik brand have had one goal in mind – making fishing easy and fun.
UglyStik offers gear for the entire family across all levels of experience – from beginner fishing kits for the little ones to fishing gear for all types of fishing (salt-and-freshwater, small fish and large fish).
- Ugly Tech construction (combining fiberglass and graphite) provides a rod that has extreme balance and sensitivity
- Ugly Tuff line guides are constructed of stainless steel for durability and eliminates pop-outs of the inserts while fighting a fish
- Available as a 1-piece or 2 -piece breakdown rod
- The GX2 has an upgraded reel seat and sturdier line guides
- Easily pulls jigs across the top of the water and through cover
- EVA foam grips give the angler more gripping power while being comfortable
- Some anglers state the trigger has a peculiar shape and can irritate your finger after many casts
2. Entsport E Series — Camo Legend Casting Rod
One of the best baitcasting rods under $50 is the Entsport Legend Casting Rod. Carbon fiber construction gives the Legend extreme strength while remaining lightweight and sensitive – everything you need in a fishing rod.
The Legend is designed for durability, flexibility, and comfort for long days spent catching your favorite fish. Built specifically for the avid fisherman – providing quality, functionality, maneuverability, and comfort.
- Includes 2 tips for mega versatility – 1 medium action and 1 medium heavy action. (Eliminates the need of taking more than one fishing rod)
- Reel seat comes with corrosion-resistant hoods
- Line guides are corrosion-resistant and spaced for friction-free casting
- 2-piece design for portability
- Includes a protective bag for storage
- EVA foam handles for comfort
- Some anglers stated the tips on the lower end of the rod are not aligned which can make it a little unstable
3. Falcon HD Casting Rod
One of the best baitcasting rods for under $100 is the Falcon Rods HD Casting Rod. This casting rod is suitable for freshwater and saltwater fishing. This 6’6” fishing rod is designed to hold a fishing line between 8-17-pound test and works best with lures from ¼ to ½ ounces.
Based in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma, Falcon Rods has been providing innovation and functionality to anglers for over 25 years. Performance and quality through craftsmanship and a hands-on process results in fishing rods with fine-tuned action.
Falcon Rods uses the highest-quality products and takes into consideration the advice and input of professional fishermen to create fishing rods for anglers all around the world.
- 100% Graphite frame gives the rod durability and flexibility
- 100% Fuji line guides for the highest in quality guides
- Natural cork handle provides a comfortable grip
- Medium action
- Lightweight yet strong
- Available only in 1-piece
4. Piscifun Torrent Baitcasting Fishing Rod
A durable, light yet sensitive fishing road that is constructed from patented carbon fiber material and wrapped in stainless steel guides to ensure that you have the best possible experience fishing for all sorts of fish species.
Moreover the outer layer is made from molded resin that can withstand high temperatures hence you can use this fishing rod for fishing under direct sun without worrying that the color will fade.
Furthermore, lots of fishermen have reported that this fishing rod is very easy to use as it is light however if you wish to have something heavier you can opt for one as the manufacturer offers this fishing rod in a number of models varying in weight and size.
Lastly keep in mind that the handles are padded with foam for extra comfort. Overall lots of customers have reported that the fishing rod is one of the best on the market because it is very durable and is available at an affordable price. The downside is that the manufacturer does not offer any warranty or customer service.
- Light yet durable fishing rod that can be used for a number of fishing styles
- Handles are padded with foam for extra comfort
- Available in several lengths
- Does not fade under direct sunlight
- Made from carbon fiber material
- Stainless steel guides
- Made in US
- Available in 1 color only
- Does not come with a carrying case
5. Berkley Lightning Casting Rod
As one of the best baitcasting rods for bass, the Berkley Lightning Casting Rod is designed to be lightweight, sensitive, and durable. The Berkley Lightning is a part of Berkley’s Shock Rod series and is specifically designed for braided line.
Braided fishing line is exactly what it sounds like – multiple strands of fibers braided together. One of the most prominent reasons for using braided line is casting distance – using braided line gives you a larger fishing zone.
- Carbon construction offers strength and flexibility
- Cork handles, including a fore-grip to protect your fingers
- Can handle 10-20-pound test fishing line
- Works well with ½ to 1-ounce lures/weights
- Stainless Steel line guides with aluminum oxide inserts
- Single piece – does not breakdown for storage
6. Cadence CR7B Super Lightweight Baitcasting Rods
Another great fishing rod that is also suitable for freshwater and saltwater fishing plus it is made from stainless steel guides as well as carbon material and graphite blanks so that you can be able to use this fishing rod for decades to come.
The manufacturer offers this fishing rod in number of lengths and weight capabilities therefore before you pick your preferred fishing rod make sure that you think about what kind of fish you usually catch and how heavy it weighs.
Sadly this fishing road is only available in 1 color however a lot of customers have reported that that is not a problem since they have loved this fishing rod plus the handles come padded with foam. The stainless steel guides have also been coated in an anti-rust and anti-corrosion layer but do make sure that you still rinse the fishing rod after each session of fishing in saltwater.
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Stainless steel guides that are coated in anti-rust layer
- Suitable for saltwater and freshwater fishing
- Available in different lengths
- Known brand around the world
- Reliable and loved me lots of fisherman
- Available in 1 colors only
- Will need to be raised after every fishing session
7. St Croix Mojo Inshore Casting Rod
The St. Croix Mojo Inshore Casting Rod is designed specifically for inshore saltwater fishing. The durable build and medium action provides hours of fun bringing in the redfish and speckled trout that are active inshore. A split-grip handle provides comfort and balance whether you are casting or retrieving.
Headquartered in Park Falls, Wisconsin, it all began in 1948 with the introduction of the first multi-section bamboo fishing pole. In 1955, St. Croix introduced the innovative, lightweight, and flexible fiberglass fishing rod to replace the bamboo fishing pole. The rest is history…and today, St. Croix boasts one of the most state-of-the-art manufacturing facilities.
- Built with premium graphite
- Handcrafted with only premium quality products
- Line guides are aluminum-oxide with black frames that are corrosion-resistant
- Split-grip cork handle for comfort and maneuverability
- Features 2 coats of Flex Coat slow-cure finish to protect your rod from the elements (saltwater, rain)
- Some anglers felt the rod was too flimsy for a medium-light action rod
8. Akataka Spinning Casting Fishing Rod
Another great fishing rod, that is made from durable, carbon fiber material and is suitable for saltwater and freshwater fishing alike. Moreover, customers can select from two different colors: white and red. Customers have reported and the red color looks much better in real life and resembles real wood.
However, keep in mind that regardless of what color you choose you will need to oil the fishing rod once in a while if you plan on fishing in saltwater because saltwater tends to speed up corrosion and rusting.
Furthermore, the manufacturer offers good customer support as well as a 30-day warranty period that you can use to address any issues that you might notice with your fishing rod after the purchase. Sadly the handles are not padded but they are made from cork wood which is comfortable to hold but is not resistant to mold that can occur if the rod is kept wet for a prolonged period of time.
- Available in 2 different colors
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Good customer support
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater fishing
- Made from carbon fiber material
- Handles are not padded with foam
- Will require frequent oiling so as to prevent corrosion and rusting
- Handles made from cork wood are prone to mold growth
9. Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Fishing Rod
The medium-action Abu Garcia Veritas Casting Rod is one of the best baitcasting rods for the money. Designed by one of the biggest names in fishing tackle, the Veritas Casting Rod is constructed for durability, balance, and sensitivity.
Built-tough and easy to cast, the Veritas casting rod is ready to get the job done. Abu Garcia was founded in 1921 in Sweden as a manufacturer of taxi meters, pocket watches, and telephone timers.
During World War II, when the need was taxi meters decreased, the founder used his engineering skills and craftsmanship to focus on the development of precision fishing reels. The first Abu Garcia reel was introduced in 1941 – and the company has been providing high-quality fishing tackle for anglers all over the world since.
- Features ROCS (Robotically Optimized Casting System) for maximized casting distance
- Line guides are built from titanium alloy with Zirconium inserts for durability and balance
- EVA foam grips for comfort and stability
- Features spiral carbon core construction strengthens the rod and decreases the risk of the rod breaking under pressure
- Rod tip flexes, making it sensitive while offering a bit of cushion to keep the line tight while bringing in a fish
- The Veritas is a bit heavier than comparable rods
10. Rippin Lips Super Cat Casting Rod
Based in Iowa, Rippin Lips is dedicated to providing fishermen with the finest catfishing products at competitive prices. Rippin Lips products are designed by avid catfishermen who understand what you need to catch and retrieve that big catfish you have been after.
The Rippin Lips SuperCat is one of the best all-around baitcasting rods on the market. Whether you are after channel catfish, blue catfish, or flatheads; fishing from the bank or kayak boat, the SuperCat Medium action rod is sensitive enough to detect the smallest bite while strong enough to fight that big catfish until the end.
- Glow in the dark tip for night fishing
- S-glass fiberglass offers the ultimate in strength
- Chrome-plated stainless-steel rod guides
- Designed by master cat fisherman, John Jamison, specifically for catching catfish
- EVA foam split-grip handle for balance, strength, and comfort
- 1 piece – does not break apart for storage
Things to Consider Before Buying a Baitcasting Rod
As with much of your fishing equipment, the ultimate determination for choosing a certain product is its intended use. Baitcasting rods are longer, with smaller line guides, and are more suited for situations that require accurate casting of large lures and are better at fighting larger fish. Once you have determined that a baitcasting rod and reel are what you need, here are a few things to consider.
Baitcasting frames are generally available in 2 materials – fiberglass and graphite. Graphite is lightweight, sensitive, and flexible. Fiberglass is sturdier and is often used when casting is not a requirement – for instance, when trolling for large fish.
The power rating indicates the strength of the rod. Power ratings go from ultra-light to heavy. The power you need is determined by the type of fishing you use the rod for. For instance, a light power ranking is better for light lines and fast action, such as working a lure across the top of the water. Heavy power rods are better used with heavier line and when you are fishing in thick cover grass, trees, etc.
The grip, or handle, is the part of the rod that the angler holds while casting and fighting a fish. Grips can be made of foam or cork. The grip helps to protect the anglers hand, provide comfort while fishing, and prevent the rod from slipping out of the angler’s hands when wet.
In addition to fishing equipment, tackle, and bait, here is a list of items that you need for your fishing trip:
- First Aid kit
- Insect Repellent
- Packable rain gear
- Prescription medications that need to be taken while fishing as well as pain medication, such as aspirin, Tylenol, or ibuprofen
- Insect bite treatment
Here Are a Few Safety Tips:
- Wear safe footwear – close-toed shoes are the best for protecting your feet from rocks, glass, or hooks. Close-toed shoes are also a must when fishing for fish that have sharp teeth (King Mackerel, Spanish Mackerel, etc.)
- Wear a hat to protect your face, ears, and neck from the sun.
- Always wear appropriate safety gear – flotation devices approved by the Coast Guard.
- Always keep small children within reach when around water.
- Apply sunscreen and reapply as directed
- Be weather aware at all times
- Always be aware of your surroundings to prevent falls, slips down a slippery bank, etc.
- Before casting, look around to be sure no one is in your casting range.
- Never fish alone in case of emergency
- Keep knives, hooks, and other sharp objects secure
- Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes from the sun and stray hooks
As with many hobbies, some people choose brand-specific equipment. One fisherman may be an avid Abu Garcia fan while another may be an avid Berkley fan. Some fishermen feel they cannot be successful unless they use high-end, expensive fishing rods and reels. As an avid fisherman myself, I can understand the point of view from each side. If you know how to play a large fish until it tires, you can catch it on a $40 rod or a $400 rod.
In selecting the best baitcasting rods from the above reviews, I considered some key factors – durability, flexibility, and functionality. Each of the above rods have many good attributes. Some are versatile and can be used for many types of fish, can be used in fresh or saltwater, can be used from shore or from a boat – they simply make good baitcasting rods for overall use.
From this group of fishing rods, the overall best baitcasting rods is the UglyStik GX2 by Shakespeare. The combination of fiberglass and graphite material makes the rod extremely durable – yet flexible and sensitive enough to catch any fish. The quality of the UglyStik has been proven over and over in the past 115 years. The GX2 is the next generation baitcasting rod with many improvements that enhance durability and flexibility.
They cater to fishermen of every level – from beginner to professional. I, myself, have been on the fighting end of an UglyStik. While I am not brand specific, the UglyStik is one of my favorite brands. The improvements made to the GX2 are sure to please many fishermen – and help you get more fish into the bucket. These are all great choices, so whichever you choose from this list, here’s to that next big catch! Fish On!