Anyone that has purchased a boat understands that a boat can be a huge investment. Boats can cost upwards of 30, 50, or 75 thousand dollars. Just as you would with any investment of this size, it is vital that you protect your investment by providing the proper care and service to get as many years of use as possible.
Depending on the cost of your boat, a boat cover could be considered an accessory or a necessity. The more expensive the boat is the more vital it is to protect your investment. A boat cover becomes a necessity. Finding the best boat cover for your boat is extremely important – a boat cover that fits properly provides more protection for your boat.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 8 Best Boat Covers in 2019
- Why You Need a Boat Cover
- Top 8 Best Boat Cover Reviews in 2019
- #1 Budge Boat Cover for Trailering
- #2 Classic Accessories DryGuard Waterproof Boat Cover
- #3 Beige/tan Vortex Outdoor Boat Cover
- #4 Komo Covers Heavy Duty Trailerable Boat Cover
- #5 Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover
- #6 Vortex Heavy Duty Grey Mooring Boat Cover
- #7 MSC Heavy Duty 600D Marine Grade Boat Cover
- #8 Tan20ultra Pontoon Boat Cover
- Caring for Your Boat Cover
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 8 Best Boat Covers in 2019
|Image||Brand||Material||Water Resistant||UV Resistant||Latest Price|
|Budge||Denier polyester||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|Classic Accessories||Dryguard||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|Vortex||Denier polyester||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|Komo Covers||Denier polyester||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|Classic Accessories||Stellex polyester||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|Vortex||Denier polyester||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|MSC||Marine-grade polyester canvas||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
|Vortex||Denier polyester||Yes||Yes||Check Price|
Why You Need a Boat Cover
A properly fitted boat cover can increase the longevity of your boat by as much as 30%. A good boat cover has many advantages and protects your investment – especially if you must store your boat for the winter.
Some of the advantages of a boat cover include:
- Protects your boat from damage caused by dust and debris
- Repels water and keeps moisture away
- Helps prevent mold buildup
- Protects paint from damaging UV rays – prevents fading and cracking
- Keeps animals from climbing into the boat
- Discourages theft
- You will spend less time cleaning and preparing your boat for launch
For more expensive boats, an owner may consider purchasing a custom boat cover. The more you invest in your boat, the more you might invest in protecting your boat. However, if you purchase the right size universal boat cover, you can also adequately protect your investment.
Important Features of a Boat Cover:
Boat covers have many features. When reviewing this list of the best boat covers, we will point out some of the key features that will provide the most protection for your boat. Below of some of the features you should be aware of in your search for a boat cover.
- Reinforced seams and corners – these areas are stretched, pulled, and experience all sorts of abuse. Reinforced seams and corners resist rips, tears, and literally coming apart at the seams.
- Water Resistant – one of the most important features of a boat cover is water resistance – otherwise, what’s the point?
- UV resistance – this protects the paint from fading and cracking due to being exposed to the sun’s bright rays.
- Mildew resistance – this is important so that water that sits on the cover does not begin to produce mold that could get inside the cover
- Elastic bow strap – this makes the cover fit securely and ensures the rest of the cover fits properly.
- Tie-down straps – this holds your cover securely in place against wind so that your boat is protected.
- Trailerable – a trailerable cover has special straps that keep the cover on tightly while you are driving.
- Weight – a lightweight cover is easier to put on, take off, and fold for storage.
- Material – this is one of the key features of your boat cover. The three main fabrics are polyester, poly-cotton blend, and polyester canvas. The more polyester the cover has, the better it is.
- Colors – color is a personal preference and boat covers are available in many choices.
Fitting Your Boat for a Cover
If you choose a universal cover rather than the more expensive custom covers, the most important aspect is finding the cover that fits your boat snugly. To find the right boat cover, you need to know the measurements of your boat. You will need two measurements – length and width.
To get the length of your boat, you should measure from the bow tip to the farthest point aft. Measure in a flat, straight line. You won’t need to measure up and over the windshield. To get the width of your boat, you will measure across the widest part of the boat. On some boats, this is the windshield area. On others, the widest point is the transom. Again, measure in a flat, straight line.
The final consideration is the hull style. There are several different types of hulls, including V-hull, pro bass, center console, and johnboat. Your two measurements and the hull style should allow you to pick the perfect cover for your boat.
Top 8 Best Boat Cover Reviews in 2019
#1 Budge Boat Cover for Trailering
One of the main features when you are searching for the best boat cover for trailering is extra tie-down straps to keep the cover securely in place as you drive. Komo Covers Super Duty Trailerable Boat Cover is for boats from 12-14 feet. These covers are made with 1200D polyester with a PU coating for durability and providing the most protection for your boat on the road or in the driveway.
Covering your boat while trailering protects your boat from the weather, debris flying off the highway, and bugs. Before driving, check to be sure your boat is secure and balanced, your boat cover is secured in a manner that does not allow flapping in the wind, and the tires on your trailer have the proper amount of inflation.
Also Read: Best Fishing Pliers – Top 7 Models Reviewed!
#2 Classic Accessories DryGuard Waterproof Boat Cover
During the winter months, it is vital to protect your boat from harsh weather. One of the best boat covers for winter is the Vortex Heavy Duty Boat Cover. Made from 600D waterproof fabric, this cover will protect your boat from wind, rain, and snow in the coldest climates.
One of the most vital aspects of storing your boat for the winter is keeping moisture out and this heavy-duty boat cover is 100% waterproof. When storing for long periods, such as winter, not only do you have inclement weather to worry about, but also bugs and other outdoor creatures that can crawl under the cover and cause damage to your boat. Be sure your boat covers fits tight enough to keep critters and weather out.
#3 Beige/tan Vortex Outdoor Boat Cover
If you store your boat outdoors, finding the best outdoor boat cover is vital to the protection of your boat. Constructed of tough, Marine-grade polyester, the MSC Heavy Duty Polyester Canvas Boat Cover offers the protection you need – protecting your boat from water, sun, and wind.
A few tips for storing your boat outdoors:
- Position boat and trailer with the bow slightly higher so water will drain off the cover
- Remove drain plug
- Place boat cover on properly so that it fits tightly
- Spray lubricants on trailer that repel water and dirt
- Place your boat in the driveway with the tongue facing your house to help prevent theft
- Remove tires and store inside to protect them from the sun – if the tires cannot be removed, cover with tire covers
- Do not park underneath trees to protect your boat from sap and falling limbs
#4 Komo Covers Heavy Duty Trailerable Boat Cover
The Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover for 12-14’ boats is one of the best boat covers for small boats available. The tough polyester Stellex fabric is specifically designed for durability, weather protection, and does not shrink when used for long-term storage.
Founded in 1983 in a small basement in Seattle, Classic Accessories began by providing seat belt covers, steering wheel covers, and fuzzy dice. They soon ventured to larger covers, such as frill covers, car covers, and boat covers.
For over 30 years, Classic Accessories has continued to add to their line of quality covers designed to protect your investments as well as show your style. Today, they are one of the leading companies in the protective cover industry, offering products that are durable, convenient, and practical for your busy lifestyle.
#5 Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover
A bass boat is a boat designed primarily for bass fishing. These boats are most often used in freshwater and sometimes have two sources of power – an outboard motor with enough power to quickly move from place to place and a trolling motor for moving slowly while fishing. As with any boat, you want to protect your investment in between fishing trips.
One of the best bass boat covers on the market is the Classic Accessories DryGuard Heavy-Duty Waterproof Boat Cover. Constructed from Marine-grade Dryguard fabric, this cover is waterproof and tear-resistant. Great for trailering, mooring, and boat storage.
#6 Vortex Heavy Duty Grey Mooring Boat Cover
A boat/ship mooring is a permanent structure – such as wharfs, jetties, quays, anchor buoys, mooring buoys, and piers – used for securing boats for long periods of time. There are different types of mooring stations. Though some may have a roof, it is important to use a boat cover in addition to the roof to protect your boat from wind, rain, and other elements.
The Vortex Heavy Duty Console Boat Cover is one of the best-rated boat covers available. Suitable for mooring and light trailering, this Vortex boat cover is designed to keep moisture out while allowing moisture caused by water vapors to escape to prevent buildup of mold or mildew.
#7 MSC Heavy Duty 600D Marine Grade Boat Cover
Founded in 1940 and recognized as “the original car cover company”, Budge Industries provides a wide array of innovative products designed to protect cars, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, boats, and much more. Headquartered in Lansdale, Pennsylvania, one of their main goals is to provide innovative and affordable products to protect your investments.
To protect your hard top or T-top boat, the Budge 600 Denier Boat Cover has all the features you need to keep your boat protected from the rain, snow, sun, bugs, and small animals. Designed for long-term storage, mooring, and trailering, the Budge boat cover is equipped with a heavy shock cord hem and is one of the best custom boat covers.
#8 Tan20ultra Pontoon Boat Cover
If you own or are considering purchasing a pontoon boat, one of the most important accessories is the cover. Not only will you need to protect the pontoon boat itself when it is in storage, but the furniture and other accessories should be protected. Thus, the best pontoon boat cover should be strong, durable, and waterproof.
One of the best choices is the Vortex Ultra 3 Pontoon/Deck Boat Cover. The Ultra 3 is designed for mooring, long-term storage, and trailering to provide the ultimate in utility and protection for your pontoon boat. It is also durable and fits snugly enough to withstand heavy wind, rain and snow.
Caring for Your Boat Cover
Once you have purchased and used your boat cover, it is just as vital to care for it. It goes with saying – the better you care for your boat cover, the longer it lasts. Below are some tips to help you make your boat cover last longer.
- While in long-term storage, use a support system to allow rain and melted snow to run off the cover rather than pooling on the cover
- If your boat is stored near you, periodically check for leaves or sticks that may cling to the material
- Do not use bungee cords to strap down your cover
- Always use heavy-duty tie-down straps
- Add padding to trolling motors, depth finders, and windshields to avoid accidental tears
- Wash boat cover with lukewarm water and a mild, natural soap after use. Rinse thoroughly.
- Allow cover to air dry completely before folding and placing in storage bag.
No matter the cost of your boat – whether it’s a few hundred dollars or a few thousand – you want to protect your investment, if for no other reason than it being ready when you are ready to fish. Fishing is not simply a sport – fishing is a lifestyle. One of the best ways to protect this investment is to purchase the best boat cover available. Hopefully, you will find the perfect fit for your boat and your lifestyle from the above covers. Happy Boating!