Anyone that has purchased a boat understands that a boat can be a huge investment. Boats can cost upwards of 30, 50, or 75 thousand dollars. Just as you would with any investment of this size, it is vital that you protect your investment by providing the proper care and service to get as many years of use as possible. Depending on the cost of your boat, a boat covers could be considered an accessory or a necessity.
The more expensive the boat is the more vital it is to protect your investment. A boat cover becomes a necessity. Finding the best boat covers for your boat is extremely important – a boat cover that fits properly provides more protection for your boat.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 11 Best Boat Covers in 2020
- Top 11 Best Boat Covers Review in 2020
- 1. Budge B-621-X7 Boat Cover
- 2. MSC Heavy Duty Trailerable Boat Cover
- 3. iCover Waterproof Boat Cover Best for Boats
- 4. Anglink Waterproof Boat Cover
- 5. Seamander Tri-hull Fishing Boat Cover
- 6. Classic Accessories DryGuard Heavy Duty Boat Cover
- 7. Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover
- 8. Komo V-hull Trailerable Boat Cover
- 9. Vortex Heavy Duty Console Boat Cover
- 10. Vortex Beige & Tan Vhull Fish Ski Runabout Cover
- 11. VORTEXTAN Beige Ultra 3 Pontoon
- Why You Need a Boat Cover
- Caring for Your Boat Cover
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 11 Best Boat Covers in 2020
|Budge B-621-X7 Boat Covers||Check Price|
|MSC Trailerable Boat Cover||Check Price|
|iCOVER Trailerable Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Anglink Waterproof Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Seamander Trailerable Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Classic DryGuard Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Classic Accessories Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Komo V-hull Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Vortex Console Boat Cover||Check Price|
|Vortex Brige/Ten Vhull Cover||Check Price|
|VORTEXTAN Beige Ultra 3 Pontoon||Check Price|
Top 11 Best Boat Covers Review in 2020
1. Budge B-621-X7 Boat Cover
One of the main features when you are searching for the best boat covers for trailering is extra tie-down straps to keep the cover securely in place as you drive. Komo Covers Super Duty Trailerable Boat Cover is for boats from 12-14 feet.
These covers are made with 1200D polyester with a PU coating for durability and providing the most protection for your boat on the road or in the driveway. Covering your boat while trailering protects your boat from the weather, debris flying off the highway, and bugs.
Before driving, check to be sure your boat is secure and balanced, your boat cover is secured in a manner that does not allow flapping in the wind, and the tires on your trailer have the proper amount of inflation.
- Includes carrying bag for storage when not in use
- Fits most V-Hull boats
- Available in six sizes ranging from 12-24 feet
- Double-stitched seams
- Includes tie-down straps featuring a buckle-and-loop locking system
- Reinforced fabric at the bow
- Elastic cord around the bottom to provide a secure fit
- Some consumers stated the colors on the cover may run when wet
2. MSC Heavy Duty Trailerable Boat Cover
Founded in 1940 and recognized as “the original car cover company”, Budge Industries provides a wide array of innovative products designed to protect cars, trucks, RVs, motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, snowmobiles, boats, and much more. Headquartered in Lansdale, Pennsylvania, one of their main goals is to provide innovative and affordable products to protect your investments.
To protect your hard top or T-top boat, the Budge 600 Denier Boat Cover has all the features you need to keep your boat protected from the rain, snow, sun, bugs, and small animals. Designed for long-term storage, mooring, and trailering, the Budge boat cover is equipped with a heavy shock cord hem and is one of the best custom boat covers.
- UV-treated for maximum heat and sun protection
- 100% waterproof to protect from heavy rain and/or snow
- Equipped with sewn-in straps for more durability
- Pocket vents make the material breathable to defend against mold and mildew
- Taped seams for additional moisture protection
- No hole for antennae
3. iCover Waterproof Boat Cover Best for Boats
A durable nylon boat cover, that comes with several straps that you can use in order to secure the cover on the boat. The material used in this boat cover is patented as it is a mix of nylon and marine grade polyester material.
Customers who have purchased this boat cover reported dad it is very durable, tear-proof, does not fade and is resistant to strong stretching. Moreover the straps come with elastic cord around the hemline hence you can be confident and secure and snug fit. Plus customers have reported dad it is very easy to install and release thanks to the buckles.
Potential customers can choose from a great variety of colors as well as or six different sizes which is why you can be confident that you will find just right boat cover for your marine boat. Overall this boat cover will be great for trailing, storage and mooring.
- Great quality
- Made in the United States
- 30-day warranty
- Patented material
- Available in several sizes and colors
- Lack of customer support
Lastly we have the Anglink boat cover that is made for all kinds of motor boats including kayaks. This boat cover is one of the strongest currently on the market that you can purchase for an affordable price from a trusted manufacturer that offers good customer support as well as two year warranty period.
Sadly it is available only in dark black color that some of the customers who have purchased this boat cover before have reported that it tends to fade with you over time under the effect of direct sunlight however you could always drape it in additional layer of nylon cover that will also serve as a bonus protective layer from rain and snow.
Otherwise they seem to love it as it also comes with a storage case for when the boat cover will not be in use plus it is available in over 8 different sizes ranging from small for kayaks to XXL for motor boats.
- Trustable manufacturer
- Warranty period
- Customer support
- High quality
- Available in 1 color only
- Black color tend to fade under the direct sunlight
5. Seamander Tri-hull Fishing Boat Cover
Have a great boat cover that comes with a 2-year warranty period right from the manufacturer plus customers can choose from over 8 different colors as well as 11 sizes which is why you can be sure that you will find just the right marine cover for your boat, kayak or even small motor yacht.
Moreover the cover is made with a strong nylon material that has been made with interlocking double stitches thus lots of customers who have purchased this boat cover have reported that the boat cover is virtually indestructible as it is very strong and tear proof.
Apart from the boat cover, the packaging box also contains instruction booklet on how to properly use and clean the nylon cover as well as on how to correctly set up and use the integrated strapping system so as to ensure that your boat always stays covered and protected from rain, snow and strong winds. Sadly, the manufacturer does not offer a customer support or money back period.
- 2-year warranty from manufacturer
- Available in different sizes and colors
- Comes with strapping system and instruction booklet in the packaging box
- Easy to clean
- Made in China
- Available only in in small to medium sizes
6. Classic Accessories DryGuard Heavy Duty Boat Cover
Made from 600D waterproof fabric, this cover will protect your boat from wind, rain, and snow in the coldest climates. One of the most vital aspects of storing your boat for the winter is keeping moisture out and this heavy-duty boat cover is 100% waterproof.
When storing for long periods, such as winter, not only do you have inclement weather to worry about, but also bugs and other outdoor creatures that can crawl under the cover and cause damage to your boat. Be sure your boat covers fits tight enough to keep critters and weather out.
- Multi-use cover – can be used for mooring, storage, and trailering
- Coated with polyurethane for added water resistance
- Coated with a UV and mildew protectant
- Includes tie-down straps
- Includes a storage bag for easy storage
- Not ideal for light-duty boats
7. Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover
A bass boat is a boat designed primarily for bass fishing. These boats are most often used in freshwater and sometimes have two sources of power – an outboard motor with enough power to quickly move from place to place and a trolling motor for moving slowly while fishing. As with any boat, you want to protect your investment in between fishing trips.
One of the best bass boat covers on the market is the Classic Accessories DryGuard Heavy-Duty Waterproof best boat covers. Constructed from Marine-grade Dryguard fabric, this cover is waterproof and tear-resistant. Great for trailering, mooring, and boat storage.
- DryGuard fabric is 100% waterproof
- Coated from UV protection and mildew resistance
- Stitched seams are reinforced with tape to block water from seeping through stitches
- Features dual rear air vents with built-in stiffeners to reduce wind pressure
- Adjustable tie-down straps with quick-release buckles
- Long exposure to extreme sun decreases the life of the product
8. Komo V-hull Trailerable Boat Cover
The Classic Accessories Stellex Boat Cover for 12-14’ boats is one of the best boat covers for small boats available. The tough polyester Stellex fabric is specifically designed for durability, weather protection, and does not shrink when used for long-term storage.
Founded in 1983 in a small basement in Seattle, Classic Accessories began by providing seat belt covers, steering wheel covers, and fuzzy dice. They soon ventured to larger covers, such as frill covers, car covers, and boat covers.
For over 30 years, Classic Accessories has continued to add to their line of quality covers designed to protect your investments as well as show your style. Today, they are one of the leading companies in the protective cover industry, offering products that are durable, convenient, and practical for your busy lifestyle.
- Stellex fabric offers protection from water, UV rays, and mildew
- Lightweight but tough so it is easy to put on and easy to take off
- Includes convenient storage bag to protect the cover from the elements when not in use
- Includes tie-down straps for trailering
- Features quick-release buckles for convenience
- Some consumers state the covers fit small
9. Vortex Heavy Duty Console Boat Cover
There are different types of mooring stations. Though some may have a roof, it is important to use a boat cover in addition to the roof to protect your boat from wind, rain, and other elements.
The Vortex Heavy Duty Console Boat Cover is one of the best-rated boat covers available. Suitable for mooring and light trailering, this Vortex boat cover is designed to keep moisture out while allowing moisture caused by water vapors to escape to prevent buildup of mold or mildew.
- Includes a drawstring around the bottom for a custom, snug fit
- Compatible with center console V-hull boats
- Marine-grade polyester canvas protects your boat from water, wind, bugs, and keep animals out
- Polyurethane coating on the bottom and UV coating on the top
- Includes tie-down straps and storage bag
- Not designed for long trips on a trailer
10. Vortex Beige & Tan Vhull Fish Ski Runabout Cover
If you store your boat outdoors, finding the best outdoor boat cover is vital to the protection of your boat. Constructed of tough, Marine-grade polyester, the MSC Heavy Duty Polyester Canvas Boat Cover offers the protection you need – protecting your boat from water, sun, and wind.
A Few Tips for Storing Your Boat Outdoors
- Position boat and trailer with the bow slightly higher so water will drain off the cover
- Remove drain plug
- Place boat cover on properly so that it fits tightly
- Spray lubricants on trailer that repel water and dirt
- Place your boat in the driveway with the tongue facing your house to help prevent theft
- Remove tires and store inside to protect them from the sun – if the tires cannot be removed, cover with tire covers
- Do not park underneath trees to protect your boat from sap and falling limbs
- Marine-grade polyester with a double coat of Polyurethane for additional protection
- Coated for UV and mildew resistance
- Designed for use for mooring, travel, and long-term storage
- Elastic cord sewn into bottom for snug, custom fit
- Includes storage bag for cover and straps
- Includes adjustable straps featuring quick-release buckles for a secure fit
- The most common tip from consumers is to buy one size larger than the sizing chart recommends for the best fit
11. VORTEXTAN Beige Ultra 3 Pontoon
If you own or are considering purchasing a pontoon boat, one of the most important accessories is the cover. Not only will you need to protect the pontoon boat itself when it is in storage, but the furniture and other accessories should be protected. Thus, the best pontoon boat cover should be strong, durable, and waterproof.
One of the best choices is the Vortex Ultra 3 Pontoon/Deck Boat Cover. The Ultra 3 is designed for mooring, long-term storage, and trailering to provide the ultimate in utility and protection for your pontoon boat. It is also durable and fits snugly enough to withstand heavy wind, rain and snow.
- Includes 12 straps to securely fasten your pontoon boat for travel
- 2 coats of polyurethane on the downside
- UV and mildew resistant
- 100% waterproof
- Elastic band around the bottom for a semi-custom fit
- The cover fades after exposure to the sun
Why You Need a Boat Cover
A properly fitted boat cover can increase the longevity of your boat by as much as 30%. A good boat cover has many advantages and protects your investment – especially if you must store your boat for the winter.
Some of the Advantages of a Boat Cover Include
- Protects your boat from damage caused by dust and debris
- Repels water and keeps moisture away
- Helps prevent mold buildup
- Protects paint from damaging UV rays – prevents fading and cracking
- Keeps animals from climbing into the boat
- Discourages theft
- You will spend less time cleaning and preparing your boat for launch
For more expensive boats, an owner may consider purchasing a custom boat cover. The more you invest in your boat, the more you might invest in protecting your boat. However, if you purchase the right size universal best boat covers, you can also adequately protect your investment.
Important Features of a Boat Cover
Boat covers have many features. When reviewing this list of the best boat covers, we will point out some of the key features that will provide the most protection for your boat. Below of some of the features you should be aware of in your search for a boat cover.
- Reinforced seams and corners – these areas are stretched, pulled, and experience all sorts of abuse. Reinforced seams and corners resist rips, tears, and literally coming apart at the seams.
- Water Resistant – one of the most important features of a boat cover is water resistance – otherwise, what’s the point?
- UV resistance – this protects the paint from fading and cracking due to being exposed to the sun’s bright rays.
- Mildew resistance – this is important so that water that sits on the cover does not begin to produce mold that could get inside the cover
- Elastic bow strap – this makes the cover fit securely and ensures the rest of the cover fits properly.
- Tie-down straps – this holds your cover securely in place against wind so that your boat is protected.
- Trailerable – a trailerable cover has special straps that keep the cover on tightly while you are driving.
- Weight – a lightweight cover is easier to put on, take off, and fold for storage.
- Material – this is one of the key features of your boat cover. The three main fabrics are polyester, poly-cotton blend, and polyester canvas. The more polyester the cover has, the better it is.
- Colors – color is a personal preference and boat covers are available in many choices.
Fitting Your Boat for a Cover
If you choose a universal cover rather than the more expensive custom covers, the most important aspect is finding the cover that fits your boat snugly. To find the right boat cover, you need to know the measurements of your boat. You will need two measurements – length and width.
To get the length of your boat, you should measure from the bow tip to the farthest point aft. Measure in a flat, straight line. You won’t need to measure up and over the windshield. To get the width of your boat, you will measure across the widest part of the boat. On some boats, this is the windshield area. On others, the widest point is the transom. Again, measure in a flat, straight line.
The final consideration is the hull style. There are several different types of hulls, including V-hull, pro bass, center console, and johnboat. Your two measurements and the hull style should allow you to pick the perfect cover for your boat.
Caring for Your Boat Cover
Once you have purchased and used your boat cover, it is just as vital to care for it. It goes with saying – the better you care for your boat cover, the longer it lasts. Below are some tips to help you make your boat cover last longer.
- While in long-term storage, use a support system to allow rain and melted snow to run off the cover rather than pooling on the cover
- If your boat is stored near you, periodically check for leaves or sticks that may cling to the material
- Do not use bungee cords to strap down your cover
- Always use heavy-duty tie-down straps
- Add padding to trolling motors, depth finders, and windshields to avoid accidental tears
- Wash boat cover with lukewarm water and a mild, natural soap after use. Rinse thoroughly.
- Allow cover to air dry completely before folding and placing in storage bag.
No matter the cost of your boat – whether it’s a few hundred dollars or a few thousand – you want to protect your investment, if for no other reason than it being ready when you are ready to fish. Fishing is not simply a sport – fishing is a lifestyle. One of the best ways to protect this investment is to purchase the best boat cover available. Hopefully, you will find the perfect fit for your boat and your lifestyle from the above covers. Happy Boating!