Canoe fishing can be fun and relaxing. However, it is important to choose the correct one. Before you begin searching for a canoe, there are a few things to consider. The first thing to consider before shopping for the best canoe for hunting and fishing is where you plan to use your canoe. Will you use your canoe on a lake, in a river, or for surf fishing?
The second thing to consider is how long each trip will be. Perhaps you plan to fish for a few hours or entire days. Comfort for extended periods of time in your canoe will play a role in deciding which canoe is best for you. The third thing to consider is the conditions of the water. Will the surface be flat like a lake? Will it be flowing like a river – slowly or swiftly? Or, will it be choppy like the surf at the beach?
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Fishing Canoes in 2021
- Top 10 Best Canoe Reviews in 2021
- 1. Old Town Sportsman Discovery Solo 119 Canoe
- 2. Sea Eagle 370 Pro Sport Kayak Canoe Boat
- 3. Lifetime Kodiak Canoe with 2 Paddles
- 4. Old Town Saranac 146 Family Canoe
- 5. Sailboats To Go Radisson Canoe Sponsons
- 6. Sevylor Ogden Combo Canoe
- 7. Grumman Double Ender Canoe
- 8. MYCANOE Origami Folding Canoe
- 9. Old Town Saranac Recreational Family Canoe
- 10. Mad River Journey 156 Canoe
- How to Choose Best Canoe for Hunting and Fishing
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Fishing Canoes in 2021
|Old Town Sportsman Canoe||Check Price|
|Sea Eagle Sport Kayak||Check Price|
|Lifetime Kodiak Canoe||Check Price|
|Old Town Saranac 146 Family Canoe||Check Price|
|Sailboats to Go Radisson Canoe||Check Price|
|Sevylor Ogden Canoes Combo||Check Price|
|Grumman Double Ender||Check Price|
|Coovy MYCANOE Origami Canoe||Check price|
|Old Town Canoes & Kayaks||Check Price|
|Mad River Canoes||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Canoe Reviews in 2021
1. Old Town Sportsman Discovery Solo 119 Canoe
The Old Town Solo 119 has always been a long-time favorite canoe for many. Its popularity is mainly attributed to the canoe’s compact nature, and how fun it is to paddle it, so it takes the lead position as the best canoe. Combining the best of both worlds, you get both simplicity and utility from this solo 119 fishing canoe.
The canoe has sleek handling and agility. It is lightweight and ideal for carrying during a solo trip. Also, it is stable and easy to control while in the waters. This solo 119 fishing canoe is agile, stable, and effortless to handle. It is suitable for a double-bladed paddle. Besides, its construction material ensures the canoe is challenging and not too heavy. Thus, you get to enjoy both durability and easy portability.
- Durable though lightweight
- Well-suited for solo paddling
- Designed also for the use of double-bladed paddle
- Impressive stability
- Comfortable, durable nylon-web seats that are water-resistant
- Some may find the canoe too wide and hence hard to paddle
- Relatively expensive compared to other models in the market
2. Sea Eagle 370 Pro Sport Kayak Canoe Boat
This 3-person canoe is one of my favorites. Lightweight and supporting plenty of fun adventures with friends, its ready to tackle even the most remote areas. I see these types of boats all the time. They are hard to match. I also love the Sea Eagle Kayak already comes with paddles.
That’s one investment less to worry about for fishermen and outdoor enthusiasts. Inside, you will find 2 comfortable seats. These seats can be moved to accommodate your preferences. Being seen among the best inflatable canoes, I already like it as it carries more than 2 friends on the water.
Drainage holes are also included in the boat. I remember making the mistake of not looking for drainage on my fist boat. Needless to say, it wasn’t a year before I started seeing mold growing on it. With a length of 12 feet, this boat is not small by any means. You may also want to take extra care when it comes to punctures. These long canoes are unforgiving when it comes to hitting sharp rocks.
- Made with a 12 ft length
- Accommodates up to 3 people
- Designed with removable seats
- Not the most maneuverable in rapid waters
3. Lifetime Kodiak Canoe with 2 Paddles
This 13-inch canoe from Lifetime Kodiak weighs 600 lbs. and can accommodate as many as three people. It comes with three seats, and each center has a backrest for additional comfort during the canoeing trip.
You don’t have to worry about holding your water bottles since the seats have cup holders, ditty trays, and luggage handles. You can carry any necessary equipment with you for the trip. Its hull goes centrally to the tippy canoe stereotype by retaining dependable water performance through its tracking channels.
It has a skeg-wheel design patented for exclusive use by the company, which helps in portability. Constructed with HDPE (High-Density Polyethylene), the canoe is durable even with rigorous use. Besides, it is impact-resistant and UV-protected. The canoe boasts excellent stability and tracking when in use. This is the perfect canoe for an unforgettable water adventure.
- Stable and well-balanced
- Durable construction HDPE material
- Comfortable luggage handles
- UV protection
- Patented skeg-well design that makes it portable
- Some find the canoe heavy
- Easily scratches
4. Old Town Saranac 146 Family Canoe
Are you looking for the best canoes for a beginner? How about the Old Town Saranac 146? It has a single-layer thermoformed body that makes it light and easy to handle when getting into or out of the water.
It has a flat hull which gives the canoe excellent stability. Its seats are fitted with backrests for enhanced comfort. There is a center bench with storage compartments where you can store your rowing equipment and other personal staff.
This Saranac 146 can be paddled either solo or tandem. Despite having the third center seat, the canoe has ample space for dry bags full of camping gear and additional gear for the trip. This canoe offers endless pleasant possibilities for your canoe touring.
- Center seat with additional storage compartments
- Comfortable countered seats
- Light and easy to carry around
- Comfortable in-carrying handles
- Its rod holders are molded in
- Anyone riding solo may find the canoe a little bulky to carry on their own
- Easily scratches
5. Sailboats To Go Radisson Canoe Sponsons
How would you like a bit of addition to your canoe that makes it not only aesthetically pleasing but safer too? Get a pair of these sponsons made by Sails to Go. Sponsons help canoes become more stable. They offer higher floatation besides being nice looking.
Sponsons also act as oat bumpers anytime you are near another canoes or the dock. These sponsons come with 14 bolts, 28 large washers, and nuts. The nuts are pretty small at a size 10, making it easy to drill tiny holes and attach them. You don’t need to worry about sealing the punches since they will be above the water time. However, you can silicone caulk them.
- Protect your canoe against scrapes and bumps
- Enhance the stability of your canoe
- Easy to bolt and don’t need to be sealed
- Provide floatation, which enhances safety
- There are different types of hardware to choose from
- Relatively expensive
- The sponsons are relatively thin
6. Sevylor Ogden Combo Canoe
The Sevylor Ogden canoe is an inflatable canoe with a rugged PVC construction. It has multiple air chambers which allows you to return to shore if one chamber is punctured. The Sevylor Ogden also incorporates an Airtight System that is guaranteed not to leak.
There is plenty of storage area equipped with bungee cords for securing your equipment. Adjustable, elevated seats make it more comfortable for you and easier to paddle for long days on the water. This lightweight best canoe wears only 26.9 pounds and is easy to transport and easy to inflate. Just a few minutes and you are up and canoeing.
- Packaging includes 2 paddles, a hand pump, pressure gauge, and carry bag, making it easier for you on the water.
- The adjustable, elevated seats make the canoe easier to paddle and more comfortable for longer days on the water.
- The large storage area allows you to carry all your equipment secured by bungee straps, decreasing the risk of losing your gear.
- Multiple air chambers give you the security of knowing you can get back to shore if a chamber is punctured.
- With a weight capacity of 355 pounds, this one is great for lake fishing with a friend or family member.
- This inflatable raft may not be suitable for maneuvering through rapids.
7. Grumman Double Ender Canoe
This Grumman canoe is versatile and suitable for a calm lake, a rushing stream, or a flowing river. It is double-ended so that it can be paddled from either end. It is spacious and is designed to hold up to six people comfortably.
This would make a best canoe for family camping trips or simple sight-seeing trips with the entire family. It has storage space that allows you to travel with all the supplies you need for camping or the equipment you need for fishing.
- Floatation devices at each end ensures this canoe will not sink
- Rugged and strong enough for all types of water conditions
- Roomy enough for the entire family plus equipment
- This canoe is easy to maneuver and can be used by beginners and professionals
- This roomy canoe has the capacity to hold up to six people, making it the perfect canoe for adventurous families
- The price may be a bit steep for the recreational canoer
- Does not have built-in fishing rod holders
8. MYCANOE Origami Folding Canoe
The MYCANOE portable paddle boat collapses for easy transport and storage. It takes only 10 minutes to assemble and 5 minutes to fold it. When folded, the canoe forms a 37 x 8 x 25-inch case and weighs 52 pounds. It has a maximum load capacity of 390 pounds, but the recommended load capacity is 280 pounds.
The MYCANOE folding canoe is equipped with two seats that can be detached and reattached to create eight seating patterns. It is ideal for two passengers and roomy enough for fishing, photography, paddling to your favorite camping spot.
- The ten-minute assembly times allows you the opportunity to get on the water quicker
- The five-minute folding time allows you to get ready to leave in a brief period. This is especially important if you get caught out during a sudden storm.
- Detachable seats allow you to create a seating pattern that is specific to what you wish to use the canoe for and creates plenty of room for two to fish
- The fact that it is lightweight makes it easier to load and transport
- The 37 x 8 x 25-inch case allows for convenient storing
- May not be suitable for long trips on the water
9. Old Town Saranac Recreational Family Canoe
The Saranac 146 canoe comes in red or green and features contoured seats with backs for a comfortable ride. This is the best canoe for family fun on the water or for the avid fisherman. It has a great fishing canoe setup, complete with molded-in rod holders and storage compartments under the center bench seat.
This is an ideal canoe for your fishing gear. To make your day of fishing more comfortable and fun, this canoe also comes equipped with storage trays, cup holders, and paddle rests – all molded to keep your hands free for catching that big one!
- Built-in fishing rod, cup, and storage trays make this the ideal canoe for the avid fisherman
- Outfitting a canoe for fishing is made easier with the storage capacity this canoe has
- The durable thermoplastic hull offers abrasion and impact resistance
- Molded-in paddle rests on the bow and stern make paddling and sitting still easier. You won’t have to worry about losing your paddle while fishing.
- Cup holders in all three seats makes it easier to have your drink handy without the worry of spilling
- This canoe is heavier than the inflatable and folding canoes.
10. Mad River Journey 156 Canoe
The Mad River Journey canoe has a triple-layer polyethylene construction that makes it rugged and suitable for any type of water. This river canoe allows you to handle rocky rapids without worry.
The journey canoe has comfortable woven bench seating for two and a storage capacity that is great for traveling to a private campsite for hunting, fishing, or family fun.
- High-density polyethylene construction makes this an ideal choice for rough waters
- The rugged design provides less worry and scratches or dings while navigating swift, rocky waters
- The triple-layer polyethylene also makes this canoe almost maintenance free
- It has a weight capacity that makes it easier to travel to distant locations with all necessary equipment in tow – great for camping, hunting, or fishing
- It is not equipped with built-in rod holders
- The seats are woven but not contoured for maximum comfort
How to Choose Best Canoe for Hunting and Fishing
Whether you are choosing the best canoe for river fishing or the best canoe for fly fishing, there are several factors that should be considered. It is also beneficial to consider the differences between canoe vs. kayak fishing to find the best fit for your fishing needs. Below are some of the things to consider when choosing the best fishing canoes.
Type of Canoe
There are several types of canoes to choose from. The type that is best for you is determined by how and where you will use the canoe. River canoes have the maneuverability and are impact resistant. These canoes are great for riding the rapids or traveling swift streams and rivers.
Recreational canoes work great on flat water. These are very stable and great for fishing on lakes or ponds. Multi-purpose canoes are extremely versatile and can be used for flat and rough water surfaces. Multi-purpose ones also offer more capacity, making these a desirable choice for the fisherman.
Hull Materials and Shape
There are several reasons to consider the hull materials used to construct a canoe. The type of materials used to make one can affect how heavy the canoe is. If you are searching for lightweight fishing canoes, it is important to choose one with light but durable hull material.
The type of hull material can also affect how expensive the canoe is and/or how tough and durable it will be. You want to get the most durable vessel for your money. Another consideration is the shape of the hull. Flat-bottomed canoes offer excellent stability but may be difficult to maneuver when loaded with fishing gear.
Rounded bottoms are designed to be fast and are typically found on specialized canoes. Shallow-arch bottoms have great stability and are designed to be more efficient and stay on course when paddling. V-bottom hulls also have great stability and are more efficient and stay on course better than shallow-arch boats.
The size of your canoe will also be determined by how you plan to use it. Length, width, and depth should all be considered before purchasing a canoe. Some of the most popular canoes average 16 to 17 feet. Depending on your plans, you may prefer a shorter or longer canoe. Longer canoes hold more fishing gear while shorter canoes can easily travel in narrow streams and inlets.
The width is also important. Wider canoes tend to be more stable which is perfect for fishing while narrow ones tend to be easier to maneuver. Depth also plays a vital role in the stability of the canoe. Though taller sides aid in keeping water out of your vessel, they are also more susceptible to changing winds. Shallow ones can allow more water in but are not affected by the wind as much as ones with taller sides.
Another consideration is number and type of seats. The number of seats is simply choice. Do you want a canoe the entire family can paddle or fish from? Or, do you want single or double seats. However, the type of seat can be an important decision. While solid seats are often more durable, woven seats help to keep you dry on the water by allowing water to drain from the seat. You will also want to determine comfort level – flat benches offer less comfort than molded seats.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: Should I Get a Canoe or a Kayak for Fishing?
A: There is no specific answer for this because it depends on different factors. Some people think kayaks are better, while others believe it is the other way around. It is recommended to get a kayak if you fish alone. On the other hand, you can get a canoe if you plan to fish with your family and friends.
Q: How Is a Canoe for Fishing and a Traditional Canoe Different?
A: Generally, canoes for fishing have a flatter hull compared to standard canoes. That is because balance is crucial to catch fish. Therefore, a flatter hull secures the canoe so that it will not flip over in the water. Moreover, a canoe for fishing has a storage area for your fishing gear found in the hull. Even if it rains, your fishing gear is safe and well-kept.
Q: Is the Structure of the Hull Vital?
A: Yes, this is something you should check carefully. The design of the hull plays a vital role in the performance of the canoe. You can know its durability, how it easily tracks, how much weight capacity it has, and how quick it is. It is suggested to go for canoes with a flat hull or hollow arch.
Q: Should I Buy a Longer Canoe?
A: Longer canoes are great for long rides along with several passengers and a lot of fishing gear. That is because this type of canoe has better weight capacity and tracking ability. On the other hand, shorter canoes can be maneuvered and carried more easily. Therefore, these are ideal if you fish alone or plan to fish in narrow bodies of water.
In comparing these ten canoes, I have tried to keep in mind the features that will work best for the avid fisherman. Storage capacity and comfortable seating are two principal factors in choosing the best canoes for long fishing trips. Maneuverability and ruggedness also play a vital role in choosing the right one for your needs.
With these things in mind, I feel the best fishing canoes from this group of review is the Old Town Canoes & Kayaks Saranac Recreational Family Canoe. Already equipped with molded fishing rod holders and under the seat storage space, this canoe is easily outfitted for fishing, hunting, or camping.
The molded storage trays and cup holders make it easier to keep your bait or lures within reach while you fish and to have your drink handy on the hottest days. It is durable and can carry a maximum load of 700-750 pounds, making it the perfect choice for fishing with a friend.