Are you looking for the best ice fishing line that is stiff, flexible and durable? If this is the case, that is why you are on this page. You will enjoy this post because I will be covering quality ice fishing reviews as well important tips that will help you pick the best line.
If you are into ice fishing, you might experience some particular problems. It is not easy to cast your line while the line has been in the freezing water for some time. Once the temperatures fall to low levels, the reel will freeze. It becomes very disappointing and that is why you should choose an ice fishing line that will help you get smooth and fast casts.
You want to avoid ruining your day and start enjoying fishing without any issues arising. That is why I’m going to take you through the best ice fishing line reviews. I guarantee that you will learn a thing or two to help you choose which ice fishing line you should acquire. Again, if you would love to know some of the best ice fishing destinations, check out here.
Table of Contents
- Comparison 10 of Best Ice Fishing Lines in 2020
- Top 10 Ice Fishing Line Reviews in 2020
- 1. KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line
- 2. Berkley FireLine Superline Fishing Line
- 3. Sougayilang Braided Fishing Line
- 4. Piscifun Lunker Braided Fishing Line
- 5. Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line
- 6. Berkley Fireline Micro Ice Fishing Line
- 7. Sufix 832 Ice Braid Fishing Lure
- 8. Celsius Tip Up Line
- 9. Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line
- 10. SAPLIZE Fluorocarbon Coated Fishing Line
- How to Choose the Best Ice Fishing Line
- Final Verdict
- Relevant Resources
Comparison 10 of Best Ice Fishing Lines in 2020
|KastKing SuperPower Fishing Line||Check Price|
|Berkley FireLine Fishing Line||Check Price|
|Sougayilang Braided Fishing Line||Check Price|
|Piscifun Lunker Braided Fishing Line||Check Price|
|Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line||Check Price|
|Berkley FireLine Micro Fishing Line||Check Price|
|Sufix 832 Ice Braid Fishing Lune||Check Price|
|Celsius Tip Up Line||Check Price|
|Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line||Check Price|
|SAPLIZE Fluorocarbon Fishing Line||Check Price|
Top 10 Ice Fishing Line Reviews in 2020
After performing various tests and comparing the different features of the ice fishing line, I have enlisted the top brands in this ice fishing line review. The different aspects of ice fishing lines will be the determiner while selecting any of these ice fishing lines caters your preferences.
1. KastKing SuperPower Braided Fishing Line
The KastKing Superpower Blue Braided Fishing Line comes in various thicknesses and strength making it the best line for ice fishing. The materials that make this best ice fishing line are of high quality which makes it able to stand on any fishing situation or weather conditions.
Tensile strength range from 10lb to 150lb with 4 high strength strands and others having 8 high strength strands. This ensures that you have got better knot strength and casting. This braided ice fishing line has a rounder and smoother surface ensuring that you increase the casting distance and reduce any backlash while fishing.
You are can gain much with this fishing line from handline fishing to using it in the main reel line. The fishing line is also cast further due to reduced friction, this makes it easier to reach your target. The fishing line is duly designed to be abrasion and UV resistant to enable fishing around submerged rocks, wood, and hardcovers.
The resistance also ensures durability, increasing the lifeline of this fishing line. Anglers are able to have better value with the KastKing Braided fishing line. KastKing ice fishing line is easy to cast and handle due to its extremely low memory. It has zero stretches and is ultra-sensitive with a greater hook setting which makes it easier to catch fish.
This particularly applies while you are fishing for wary and gentle fish species. As soon as fish touches the bait, you are able to feel its bite. The line does not absorb any water so it maintains the tensile and strength. This means it cannot wear out easily. Additionally, the line is super thin compared to its strength ratio. It is more suitable for anglers since it is able to go around the guides to reach to your target.
- Extremely low spool memory
- Tensile strength of 10lbs to 150 lbs
- Rounder and smoother surface
- It has Zero stretch
- It has high-quality Dyneema Fibers
- Easy to cast and handle due to extreme low memory
- Better knot strength and casting
- Increased strike detection
- Does not wear out easily
- Abrasion and UV resistant hence durable
- Great strength to LB ratio
- Comes in various colors and thickness
- Might be difficult to change lures
- A little bit expensive
2. Berkley FireLine Superline Fishing Line
The Berkley Fused Crystal Fireline Fishing Line is made from micro-fused Dyneema Fibers which is incredibly strong than mono. It provides incredible low visibility and lures action due to its thin diameter. That means you get a smooth handling and fast-casting action while using this fishing line.
Although it is not a conventional braided best ice fishing line its powerful performance is above the bar. This superfine is the most abrasion resistant in its class. It is able to slice through vegetation with ease since it is optimized for spinning reels.
This fishing line provides a telegraphic feel once the fish is caught in the bait. This shows how sensitive the line is in order for you to monitor your strike. It is also translucent so that fish cannot detect this line and are easily caught up in the hook.
You are able to maximize your catch with this line because of its great performance. This line is able to deliver stealth action when it comes to spooky fish and while fishing in clear waters. The diameter to LB ratios enables this stealth action.
With this line, you are able to acquire enhanced performance when it comes to fishing. This line is better at tying knots since it is not prone to slipping, unlike other lines that require glue to remain tight. The line is able to remain tight for proper fishing and casting experience.
- Made from micro-fused Dyneema fibers
- Translucent with very thin diameter
- No memory on the spool
- It offers smooth handling and better casting
- Easily slice through vegetation
- Optimized for spinning reels
- Stronger compared to monofilament
- Strike detection with telegraphic feel
- It has low visibility and incredible lure action
- It’s expensive compared to other high-quality mono
- It might become too stiff for casting
3. Sougayilang Braided Fishing Line
A multifilament and braided fishing line that comes in a roll of different colored fishing lines that you can use for different fishing types such as pier fishing or trolling fishing Moreover it comes with different circle line that a lot of customers have reported to be useful in certain conditions.
Plus, the manufacturer has reported this fishing line to lightweight and resistant to most abrasions that can take place under the water, for example, due to rocks or reefs.
Also the manufacturer has ensured that the fishing line is very thin in diameter so as to aid the fishermen to accurately cast it regardless of where you will be fishing.
Furthermore, fishermen can choose from several lengths varying from 100 feet to 500 feet of fishing line. However, keep in mind that some customers have reported that because the fishing line is colored certain fish species such as Cod and Tuna tend to avoid it because it scares them away.
- Superior abrasion resistance
- Exclusive long lasting color process
- Light and resistant to water absorption
- Thin diameter offers accurate casting
- Super strong Four strands of braided line
- Great for all types of fishing including trolling fishing
- Resistant to abrasions
- Available in different lengths
- Multifilament fishing line
- Capable of holding fish up to 72 pounds of weight
- Does not stretch
- Colored fishing line can scare away some fish species such as Cod and Tuna
- Can be difficult to cast
4. Piscifun Lunker Braided Fishing Line
Another great fishing line with thin diameter that has been made in braided manner that a lot of fishermen around the world have reported to be very durable plus this fishing line is made in the Netherlands. Moreover this fishing line is coated with a special material that makes it very resistant to tears and other abrasions that can occur underwater.
The monofilament fishing line has been reported to be virtually non stretch which is a good thing because you will be able to pull heavy fish out of the water without the fishing line tearing apart. Furthermore, customers have reported that the Lunker offers good customer support as well as a 30-day warranty period.
Lastly customers can choose from three different fishing lines that wearing their strength thus before you go ahead and purchase the fishing line make sure that you totally think about what kind of face you are planning on catching. For example, if you are going to go fishing for tuna you will need to purchase a fishing line that will be capable of withholding and least 30 pounds of weight.
On the contrary, if you intend on fishing for smaller fish species such as coat you good confidently go for the least strong fishing line. Overall, you can see why so many fishermen opt for this fishing line for all types of fishing including trolling as it is one of the best on the market in terms of price and quality especially for a Netherland made fishing line.
- Faster Cutting Water
- Netherlands PE Material
- Smooth as ever even after 500 cycle test
- Ultra strong power higher Abrasion Resistance
- Available in several length and weight capacity
- Good customer support
- Resistant to tears
- Coated in special material so as to make the fishing line more durable
- Available in 1 color only
- Monofilament fishing line
- Made in braided manner
5. Sufix Ice Magic Fishing Line
Are you looking for the best ice fishing line that is suitable for all weathers? The Suffix Ice Magic Fishing Line makes a good selection. You can easily fish with it even when the water becomes icy. This proves that you can easily manage it even in extreme ice conditions.
The line remains intact for the whole fishing period and other fishing activity you might undertake in other days. When the temperature falls below the freezing point, the fishing line can repel water and remain strong even in such conditions. The line will not freeze or accumulate ice due to special additives added to prevent absorption of water.
This implies that you will have a comfortable fishing experience since this fishing line stands up to the conditions and prevents the reel from freezing. The line is light and of low density while in water. This allows water penetration and enables the line sink faster in order to make the ultimate catch. That is why it is highly recommended for ice fishing.
- Light and of low density
- Contains special additives for water repulsion
- An all temperature line
- Manageable in frigid weather conditions
- Prevent water absorption and ice build-up on the line
- Remains strong and intact when temperature drops below freezing point
- It’s not overly sensitive
6. Berkley Fireline Micro Ice Fishing Line
The Berkley Fireline Micro Ice fishing line is thinner and stronger compared to monofilament. The fishing line is thin enough to perform smaller jigs better, flexible enough to stand the coldest weather conditions and strong enough to catch bigger fish such as lake trout.
This line is translucent white while on ice or snow and it becomes nearly invisible while underwater. This line relies on its translucent nature since it provides low visibility and fish won’t notice when it has been spooked.
It becomes easier, therefore, to catch more fish while fishing in clear waters or ice. The line remains strong and durable with its ability to repel water and it does not carry any stench which might be in the fishing waters.
It also has an improved clinch knot for tying baits. This ensures your bait remains intact during fishing. With its low memory, the line does not get tangled up easily while on a spool. You are able to comfortably cast the line when you are removing it from the spool. This makes your fishing quality not to be affected at all.
- Slender and strong
- Translucent white on ice and invisible in clear water
- Low memory
- Perform well while doing smaller jigs
- It is supple enough to stand cold weather conditions
- It is strong enough for catching bigger fish species
- Improved clinch knot
- Suitable for going micro fly fishing
- Extra sensitivity and low-visibility for enhanced fishing experience
- The line doesn’t tangle up or snarl
- It’s not abrasion resistant
- Not good for all situations since it sinks faster
7. Sufix 832 Ice Braid Fishing Lure
The Sufix 832 Ice Braid Fishing Lure is a small diameter braid which is the strongest and most durable ice fishing line. It is made using 8- fiber construction,7 strands of Dyneema and with Gore performance fiber which consists of 1 strand. In order to have high sensitivity and strength for fishing, the HMPE is constructed in a way that they sustain this trait.
This fishing line has a water-repellent protection to ensure that there is no freezing while fishing in ice conditions or snow. With no absorption of water or ice build-up, your fishing goes on even in extreme conditions. To sustain the line’s durability, the Gore performance Fibre increases abrasion and fray resistance.
- Made out of HMPE fibers,1 Gore Performance fiber
- Hydrophobic water-repellent protection
- Abrasion-resistant Gore performance fiber
- 32 weaves per inch
- Strongest and most durable small diameter ice braid
- Fiber technology enhances line consistency and high sensitivity
- The water-repellent resists freezing of the reel
- It has incredible fray and abrasion resistance
- Strength is not lost even in long periods of immersion in water
- The 4 lb is a bit stiff for light ice jigs
- Not suitable for fishing in deep lakes
8. Celsius Tip Up Line
The Celsius Tip-Up Line is made from braided nylon. Its main attribute is that it does not kink or freeze in extreme icy conditions. With that in mind, you are able to cast this line easily and catch fish. The ultra-high-molecular braided strands weight polyethylene is of high quality which makes this line to be more durable and the right choice for fishing in the ice.
The spool length is at 50 yards which is preferential while doing fishing on small species of fish. It has a tensile strength of 15lbs to increase casting and knot strength. This means it is able to withstand the struggle by fish caught in the bait. The length makes it easier to rewind since it is shorter while fishing in shallow waters.
The fishing line is woven together proving its strength for its minimal diameter. Hence it does not break or deteriorate easily compared to other fishing lines. You are able to feel every nibble when fish is caught up by the bait. This is due to the fact that it doesn’t have much stretch hence very sensitive. This applies while fishing for fish species such as sea bass and walleye.
- Made from Braided Nylon
- Spool length of 50 yards
- Tensile strength of 15 lbs
- Thin diameter to strength ratio
- Able to withstand extreme conditions
- Does not cut off easily
- Strong and Durable
- Has better casting
- Made out of high-quality material
- Zero stretches for rock solid hooking sets
- The hook will snap if you set the drag tightly
9. Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line
The Berkley Trilene Micro Ice Fishing Line is the best line for ice fishing particularly when it comes to catching finicky fish in clear waters. This model is specifically designed to work well in ultra-clear waters where fish become wary when the sun comes out.
The fishing line has a low-stretch design which makes the line to be tight while you are setting the hook into your catch. With better jig control from the line, you are able to catch most of the fish in the clear waters.
This fishing line has superb strength per diameter that shows that it withstands any force exerted while setting your hook. Casting becomes easier and control of your lure is much better for making faster hooksets. This fishing line is able to resist coiling and kinks in low-temperature fishing conditions. You can comfortably cast your line with ease without worrying about the freezing of the reel.
- Low-stretch design
- Great strength per diameter
- Tensile strength of 2lb to 8lb
- Perfect for catching finicky fish in ultra-clear waters
- Solid hook sets provided by the low-stretch design
- Better control of your jig
- You can choose your preferred tensile strength
- Resists coiling and kinks under cold conditions
- Better sensitivity compared to other fishing lines
- Can break while winding knots
- It can easily tangle up
10. SAPLIZE Fluorocarbon Coated Fishing Line
Moreover it comes wait monofilament makes material that is known around the world to be durable and reliable plus this fishing line comes with low memory and low stretch properties.
Also it is very lightweight and nearly invisible hence the fish will not see it and get frightened. Lastly it comes in over 8 different lengths and weight capability ranging from 6 to 22 pounds.
Customers are also reporting that the Suplize brand offers good customer support and quick shipping. However, some customers have reported that this fishing line is not suitable for large fish species such as Tuna because it tends to stretch under the weight and could potentially snap in the process of pulling out the fish.
- Higher abrasion resistance
- Bite resistance and knot strength than monofilament fishing line
- More shock strength than pure fluorocarbon fishing line
- Strong fishing line made from fluorocarbon and monofilament
- Almost invisible and high resistant to abrasions
- Available in different sizes and lengths
- Good customer support
- Can be hard to cast
- Low memory and low stretch fishing line
How to Choose the Best Ice Fishing Line
Now that you have evaluated the various features and benefits you can get from these ice fishing lines. Here are a few more tips to help you when acquiring any of these fishing lines.
Types of Ice Fishing Lines
There are 3 types of fishing lines from which you can choose the model that you want. These are monofilament line, braided line, fluorocarbon line. All these lines have their advantages and disadvantages. In order to know which brand to acquire from these lines let’s look at the main attributes.
The fluorocarbon ice fishing line is pretty good when it comes to floating lures and baits. The braided line has no memory and zero stretch while the monofilament line is flexible making it easier to cast and difficult for fish to see.
Fishing Line Strength
When considering on acquiring the best ice fishing line check the diameter to strength ratio. The strongest fishing lines are able to stand extreme weather conditions. These lines cannot also easily snap when you have caught bigger species of fish like walleye. Some of these lines have hydrophobic water repellent to repel water and resist freezing.
You don’t want to keep buying new lines each time just because the line you have bought deteriorates easily. You have to check whether the lifeline of the line you have bought is long. This applies when it comes to abrasion resistance and UV resistance. Always buy a fishing line that is resistant to wear and tear.
Don’t sacrifice sensitivity when it comes to ice fishing. You don’t want to lose most of the fish since your line is less sensitive. With a highly sensitive line, you are able to feel every bite that fish makes on the bait and catch most of the fish.
When it comes to choosing the best ice fishing line for panfish or sports fishing, these are the best brands. These best ice fishing lines I have covered above all have features that are suitable for ice fishing. All you have to do is to choose the one that suits your needs most efficiently.
After testing the above ice fishing lines, I would recommend the Suffix Ice Magic Fishing Line because of its incredible features. Not only is it thin for low visibility but also 3 times stronger as compared to monofilament. You can also get the fishing line in different sizes up to 14/6 lb, 1600 yards. With this fishing line, you can enjoy ice fishing because its smooth finish gives fast casting.