Kayaking is not a sport for everyone. So, when your furry pal really does share the same passion as yours, then you really need to start looking for best kayak for dogs, to take him with you. Why should you have all the fun, right?
Kayaks have been around since the times of the Inuit and Aleut tribes living in Arctic North America. They were made to carry their families and provisions and also for hunting. It was in 1936 when kayaking was included in The Olympics and people really started to love it and practice it as a sport.
It seems dogs also love it. Or at least, they just love the water and the adventure of it all. That is why there are a lot of dog friendly kayak options out there and I’m going to look into the top rated kayak for dogs right now.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Kayak For Dogs in 2020
- Top 10 Best Kayak For Dogs Review in 2020
- 1. Intex Explorer K2 Inflatable Kayak Set
- 2. Sea Eagle Inflatable Sport Kayak
- 3. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
- 4. SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Sit-on Top Kayak
- 5. Lifetime Tandem Fishing Kayak
- 6. Lifetime Tandem Sit-on Kayak
- 7. Sevylor Coleman Colorado Fishing Kayak
- 8. Lifetime Lotus Sit-On-Top Kayak
- 9. Perception Pescador Pro Sit on Top Fishing Kayak
- 10. Aquaglide Chinook XP Tandem Chinook Kayak
- The Best Kayak for Dogs Buying Guide
- Have a lovely time!
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Kayak For Dogs in 2020
|Intex Explorer K2 Kayak||Check Price|
|Sea Eagle SE370 Inflatable Sport Kayak||Check Price|
|Intex Excursion Pro Kayak||Check Price|
|SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Kayak||Check Price|
|Lifetime Tandem Fishing Kayak||Check Price|
|Lifetime Tandem Sit-on Kayak||Check Price|
|Sevylor Colorado Fishing Kayak||Check Price|
|Lifetime Lotus Sit-On-Top Kayak||Check Price|
|Perception Pescador Pro Fishing Kayak||Check Price|
|Aquaglide Chinook XP Tandem||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Kayak For Dogs Review in 2020
These are the best dog friendly kayak options out there right now. Let’s see their pros and cons and why they might suit you right now or why they might not.
1. Intex Explorer K2 Inflatable Kayak Set
If you are looking for the best inflatable kayak for dogs, this might be one option to consider. It comes equipped with aluminum oars and an air pump to inflate it whenever you want to go kayaking. It might look quite flimsy to you, but that might be because it is built for lakes and mild rivers.
If you’re also looking for a little bit of comfort and peace while kayaking, then this inflatable kayak for dogs might just be that. Its adjustable inflatable seats are quite comfortable and spacious for two persons and a dog.
One major feature of this kayak is its removable seats which can create more room for your little furry friend in case you need it. This looks like a good, sturdy boat to go exploring on mild rivers, doesn’t it. Let’s see what I actually like about this and what I don’t.
- It is comfortable and you really need that when you go exploring for hours along a river
- It comes with a high output air pump in the package which means you don’t have to waste time figuring out what to inflate it with
- The seats are adjustable and removable; this might come in handy if you want to take another person with you or just your adorable furry pal
- The skeg is removable as well and this increases stability and control in certain situations
- You also get a carry bag in the package and two 2.18m paddles, so no need to think about those before going kayaking
- It’s got an inflated size of10’3″ X 3′ X 1’8″ and it can get uncomfortable if you’re over 6ft tall and want to share the room with another over 5.5 ft tall person
- The oars seem quite short and might make you put in a little extra effort; if you plan to go kayaking for hours, it would ask for a muscle’s pain sacrifice
2. Sea Eagle Inflatable Sport Kayak
From a first glance, this might be the lifetime best kayak for dogs or at least one of the best. It can hold up to 3 people or you and your two furry pals. The seats are movable and provide back support for longer exploring trips down the river.
It looks a good kayak to begin with in the first place. The 2 skegs on the bottom of the kayak make for better tracking and speed while the PolyKrylar hull can very well accommodate your dog’s paws and claws.
Although it says “3 person” it can be maneuvered by one person alone if you just want to take your furry best friend with you for a good session of paddling or even fishing. The kayak seems quite portable and much on the lightweight side so carrying to the river alone might not be too hard either. To sum it up, this is why we liked and didn’t like this kayak for dogs.
- Easy to inflate and carry around with you if you want to be just you and your dog exploring the peaceful lakes and rivers of the countryside
- It seems like it offers a lot of room for comfortable quality time
- The overall build seems pretty solid
- By the look of it, you can say that the seats are quite comfortable
- It might be a little slow for passionate kayakers who want to have adventurous time on rough rivers
- If you’re not a kayak beginner, you might find it doesn’t track as good as you’re used to.
3. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
If best sit on top kayak for dogs is what you’re looking for, this might just be it. Or at least, a very good one for that matter. It’s got a very tough built, with a polyester core. The floor looks quite rigid so it will be good for your dog’s little rough paws.
The high pressure valves promise forvery quick inflation/deflation so you will not lose much time to get it on the move. It comes with footrests and more than that, they’re adjustable.
Moreover, if you’re a fishing enthusiasts, you can mount the special fishing road holders for a better fishing experience. If you want to have some adventure time alone or with your dog, you can remove the seat booster and take it “on a ride”.To sum it up…
- It is quite portable; it will fit in almost any car’s trunk
- Easy to set up and inflate; you won’t have to wait around for long until it is fully-ready for water
- It is quite comfortable both for you and your fun-loving pet
- It offers lots of storage space and D rings for quality time
- Overall it is good fun and if you do not want to go too crazy, it is also quite stable on the water
- By the look of it, you’ll need some patience to fold it back together and get it in the bag
- If you’re not a beginner aspiring to get in the water and learn kayaking, then, again, this might not be for you; if you just want quality time with your furry pet, then this is just for you.
4. SUNDOLPHIN Sun Dolphin Sit-on Top Kayak
This kayak might be a good fit for your next adventure and you might want to rank it quite high on the best recreational kayak for dogs options out there on the market. It looks like it really does things done; it is lightweight, easy to carry around, and it’s got an interesting design.
The kayak comes equipped with a storage space where you can store important items for your little adventures. The foot braces are adjustable and the seating area seems large enough to offer a comfortable trip for you and your little furry friend.
- It’s got adjustments for your feet and back so you can make your stay comfortable especially if you’re planning to go out on the lake or river for longer periods of time
- The storage area looks like it would keep your items dry
- At 42 lbs, it is quite on the light side of things
- Looks like it would keep you stable on calm water without much effort
- It’s got an open cockpit form that will allow for you and your dog to easily step inside and go on a little adventure
- I’m not sure how you’re supposed to pick it up and carry it around
- The nylon cords attach to the kayak through some little eyelets and by the look of them, the kayak might take in some water
5. Lifetime Tandem Fishing Kayak
If you’re looking for the best ocean kayak for dogs, then maybe you should start with this one here. The High Density Polyethylene should give this kayak good resistance. It can fit up to 3 people or two rowing in tandem and a little furry friend enjoying the adventure. As long as you don’t weight more than 500 lbs in total, then you should be fine.
It also comes with 2 paddles that are double-sided. Also, it’s got paddle clips, fishing pole holders and a storage hatch. Moreover, the footrests’ position can be adjusted to fit your needs. Let’s see what we liked and didn’t like about this kayak now!
- Yes, it is made of high-density polyethylene which should give it a very good stability and rigidity
- It’s got multiple footrest positions which means it can adjust to almost anyone’s needs
- It comes with a rear storage hatch which should keep your personal belongings dry
- The fishing pole holders are a nice touch especially if you are a fishing enthusiast
- It seems quite heavy to carry around
- It only comes with one handle to lift it up on the side which makes it rather difficult to take it to the water and back
6. Lifetime Tandem Sit-on Kayak
This one here could be considered one of the best kayak for dogs out there, on the market right now. Can be used both in tandem or just by one person. The backrests look soft and they might be comfortable, while the 2 double sided paddles look sturdy and long enough.
It’s got a 3rd little center seat where you could have your dog. You can carry another person and your dog as well. Good news is, the kayak can hold up to 500 lbs. This means it can accommodate a 100lb extremely-active rottweiler without much fuss.
- It allows for both solo or tandem paddling
- By the design of it, it looks pretty steady and might even track well.
- great cargo capacity
- It features rod wholes
- Maneuvers pretty well overall
- About 1-2 cups of water can enter inside the kayak and if your dog does not like to have his feet wet at all times, he might make a fuss about it; not to mention you
- It might feel bulky and heavy to paddle in small lakes or swamps
7. Sevylor Coleman Colorado Fishing Kayak
This one is a good fit for a budget kayak for dogs list. It is NMMA certified, which means the National Marine Manufacturers Association has confirmed that this boat meets all the safety, design and construction standards of the day.
It does look safe and heavy-duty, I’ll give you that. It’s got multiple air chambers which allows the kayak to stay inflated in case of a minor puncture. The bottom is thick and made of tarpaulin, which is a heavy-duty waterproof type of cloth.
The whole boat is covered in nylon. It’s also got adjustable seats and paddles, but it can also be propelled by a motor. So, to sum it up:
- The overall design is nice and the kayak is easy to inflate and can give you a nice dose of fun
- Durable materials
- It comes with a gauge to measure inflation
- A lot of storage places; it’s even got seatback pockets
- Pretty good stability
- Easy to carry around alone
- It’s got NMMA certification
- Poor positioning of the rod holders or the seats; you might find they get in the way of paddling
- Generic documentation and instructions
8. Lifetime Lotus Sit-On-Top Kayak
If you’re looking for the best tandem kayaks for dogs, then maybe you should put this one on the list as well. It comes equipped with adjustable eat backs. It’s got a bungee cord which can help you secure items in the storage compartment.
By the look of it, it’s got four footrest positions, so with a little bit of luck, you’ll find your comfort in it while exploring lakes and rivers alongside your furry companion. I doesn’t say the weight limit, but it looks to me that it could fit one adult and a child or one adult and a furry pal. So, what’s to like and not like?
- Adjustable seat backs offer a well-needed comfort and support
- The multitude of footrests are a nice touch
- Carry handle in the center for easy transport
- Easy to handle in the water
- Easy to get in and out of it
- Might be a little slow in the water and create a drug because of its square rear
- It might seem a little heavier than you’d expect
9. Perception Pescador Pro Sit on Top Fishing Kayak
This product can be both a dog friendly kayak and a fishing enthusiast’s perfect fishing boat. The seats can be adjusted on 2 levels, depending on whether you want to go fishing of paddling with your dog.
The overall build seems solid and leak-proof, at a first glance. It also comes equipped with large front and rear storages, rod holders and other accessories that might come in handy when going fishing.
The chair is completely removable and it is made from breathable. This means sitting for hours trying to catch fish could get more comfortable and enjoying. This dog friendly kayak is designed mostly for lakes and ponds that move rather slow and for rivers that are calm.
- Integrated accessories for fishing
- Good storage space
- 2-level seat adjustments
- It looks like it’s been made from one piece, which also means more chances of a leak-proof kayak activity
- The seat straps and buckles might break a lot by the look of it
- You need a little bit of practice to learn to stand up in this kayak; stability issues might occur
10. Aquaglide Chinook XP Tandem Chinook Kayak
This is another pretty best kayak for dogs. It’s got a good maximum capacity of 550lbs which means it can carry up to 3 people, or one person and two dogs, right? It comes with a 1 year warranty if that might interest you.
It’s quite light; it only weighs 31Lbs, so carrying it around might not be a problem, taking into consideration that this is a kayak for 3 persons. It is mostly designed for recreational purposes and you could give it a chance that it would offer you and your furry pal quite a good time and adventure.
The sturdy molded handles make it easy to carry around and the ample amount of storage space inside makes the ride even more comfortable; or at least so it looks.To sum it up, here’s what we liked and didn’t like.
- The kayak is great fun and looks matched for lakes and rivers that are more on the gentle sides of things.
- It has a fin in the back for better and easier steering
- Can be setup in approximately 10 minutes and then you and your little furry pal can have all the fun
- The chairs are adjustable
- Enough room for two people and a medium-sized dog.
- If you want to try it on rivers with mild rapids, you need to be quite experienced in kayaking.
- It doesn’t include paddles or a pump
The Best Kayak for Dogs Buying Guide
We know that wanting the best for your little furry pal makes it even hard to choose the best kayak for dogs. Moreover, there are a lot of things to take into consideration, from size to materials and safety, from design to durability, from storage spaces to comfort, from tracking to stability. So, let’s get through it a little and see which is which and why we have chosen to review these 10 products in the first place. And you might find the best one for you.
What Makes a Kayak Suitable for Dogs?
There are a lot of kayaks on the market right now, some for beginners, some for the more advanced, some for people who like the taste of adrenaline, some for people who like to fish and relax on calm waters. Nevertheless, not all of these are suitable for dogs. So, what exactly does a kayak need to have in order to be good for a dog?
First of all, there are some kayaks that are sold specifically for playing time with your dog. However, you shouldn’t limit your search to those, because you might lose out on some really great choices like the one we’ve discussed above. So, first of all, dog-friendly kayaks need to be stable. Of course, it might seem hard to know which one is stable.
There are a few things to look for. Usually, wider kayaks are more stable than others. If they also have a good sturdy-looking hall, then chances are it will float easily on the water and help you avoid unfortunate situations like being flipped out. Yes, dogs are pretty energetic and if they decide to jump from one side of the kayak to another that might not look good for the both of you.
Secondly, a kayak for dogs needs to be spacious and maybe have two seats. Dogs usually love to sit in the seat while looking out at the river in front of him. If he is not that type of dog, then most certainly he’d love to sit next to your legs, so you might also consider kayaks with plenty of leg room or adjustable footrests for that matter.
Third, but not last, a kayak for dogs needs to be made of very durable material. You probably remember what happened to your favorite new couch when your dog put his paws on it? You must have had one tiny unfortunate episode like that. Almost all dog owners do.
Which Types of Kayaks Are Best for Dogs?
In terms of kayaks, there are two main categories: kayaks for flat water and kayaks for white water. The first category, we’ve got 5 main types: sit-on-top kayaks, recreational kayaks, touring kayaks, inflatable kayaks and pedaling kayaks. In the white water category, we’ve got 5 main types: playboats, river runners, creek boats, old school, and inflatable. The most suitable category for dogs is the flat-water one.
And the most suitable types of kayaks are the recreational ones, alongside the sit-on kayaks and why not, some inflatable kayaks which, if they’re made from durable materials, could also be a good choice. These types of kayaks suitable for dogs are usually of a generous size, allow for some important storage space and are usually quite easy to get into or out of.
They are not really made for adrenaline, but for a much laid-back, exploring experience and that it’s just fine and what your dog might love. The whitewater kayaks are usually smaller in size and usually made for one person; that person would have to steer the entire boat with his/her own body. These white water kayaks are made mostly for the joy of speed, tracking and adrenaline and there’s definitely no room in there for a dog who wants to have just a little fun.
So, if there’s one thing to avoid, then there’s white water best kayak for dogs. It’s useful for you to know this information about kayaks because usually they are marketed just like that, for these categories and it would be easier for you to know which is which and which kayak deserves your attention.
How to Keep Safe When Kayaking with Your Dog
Taking your dog for the first time in a kayak might be quite frightening. I get that. While you should only look forward to the fun of it all, it won’t hurt to also take some safety precautions.
First of all, you should make sure that your dog has no medical issues whatsoever. Maybe a little talk with the veterinarian will help. Rule out any signs of heart disease or diabetes. Also, if the place you plan on going to is known for mosquitos, you might also check with your doctor if a bite could in any way hurt your dog and how to minimize the risks.
Secondly, if it is the first time you’re kayaking, you might want to go out on calm waters. Also, try to paddle slowly and watch your dog’s reaction; some dogs might get nervous in these cases. The more you two spend on water, the better and more fun your trips will be in the future.
Third, ask your veterinarian about what sun-screen you can buy for your dog and use it. You see, dogs might also get sun-burs if you spend a whole day in the kayak, and under the clean sky, with no shade to hide.
Fourth and one of the most important – use life vests. It’s true, chances are your dog might be a better swimmer than you. However, in unfortunate cases, he might get so scared of the water that he would hurt himself in some way.
By unfortunate cases I mean your kayak being flipped over and your dog caught underneath it. Anyways, let’s shake off these bad thoughts. Everything will be fine and you’ll have the time of your lives.
Have a lovely time!
Yes, I’d like to wrap this up by wishing you a lovely time with your little furry pal. Although shopping for the best kayak for dogs might have looked like quite a nuisance, I hope this information cleared things out for you. Usually, things seem complicated at the beginning, but then they start to look oh, so simple and fun to do and such should also be looking for the best kayak for dogs.