Kayaking is a fun and exciting water sport. A kayak offers lots of opportunities for family adventures. Kayaks have a long history. Eskimos used them 2000 years ago for fishing, hunting, and transportation. Kayaks can be used for fishing, camping, relaxation, adventure, exercise, and exploring nature. As with any adventure, it is important to have the right equipment. One of the most important pieces of equipment for kayaking is the paddle. Budget-wise, it is just as important to find the best kayak paddle for the money.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Kayak Paddles in 2020
- Top 10 Best Kayak Paddle Reviews in 2020
- 1. Overmont Heavy Duty Kayak Paddle
- 2. SeaSense X -TREME Kayak Paddle
- 3. Leader Accessories Kayak Paddle
- 4. Bending Branches Angler Kayak Paddle
- 5. Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle
- 6. Werner Camano Premium Kayak Paddle
- 7. Shoreline Marine Kayak Paddle
- 8. Cannon Escape E Kayak Paddle
- 9. Advanced Elements Compact Touring Paddle
- 10. WDAM Kayak Paddle
- How to Choose Best Fishing Kayak Paddle for Money
- The Process I Used to Pick the Best Kayak Paddle for the Money
- Wrapping It Up
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Kayak Paddles in 2020
|Overmont Kayak Paddle||Check Price|
|SeaSense X -TREME Kayak Paddle||Check Price|
|Leader Accessories Kayak Paddle||Check Price|
|Bending Branches Angler||Check Price|
|Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle||Check Price|
|Werner Camano Premium||Check Price|
|Shoreline Marine Kayak Paddle||Check Price|
|Cannon Escape E||Check Price|
|Advanced Elements Touring Paddle||Check Price|
|WDAM Kayak Paddle||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Kayak Paddle Reviews in 2020
1. Overmont Heavy Duty Kayak Paddle
Often seen among the best rated kayak paddles, Overmont’s design is one which goes a bit further. We like these products which are as close to perfection as possible and which also raise the bar in terms of offering the user a bit more than the average alternative. The double serrated teeth edge is one such example.
It offers a better diversion effect. Made with an aluminum shaft, the paddles are easy to grip. The blades are made from fiberglass and they should last long as long as you don’t hit them over hard objects. The curved blades also work in favor of the user. The small curvature helps reduce resistance.
It is a principle seen in any type of water activity, such as swimming. The shape of the blade remains important and hard to change over time based on its results. Another convenient aspect is given by the detachable construction of the blades from the shaft. Rivets are used to connect the blades to the shaft in various angles.
Depending on what you feel is comfortable for you, there are a few angles to choose from. Form the most upright position to a slightly angled paddle blade positioning, there are a few options to consider. A creative water-resistant ring is also added where the blade meets the shaft. This prevents most water from entering the kayak. What a problem that is on chilly days.
- Only weighs 920 grams
- Made with a water-resistant ring
- Features double serrated teeth edges
- No rubber padding
2. SeaSense X -TREME Kayak Paddle
The SeaSense X-TREME Kayak Paddles is a great recreational paddle for all skill levels, including beginners. The paddle is 84 inches in length and the shape of the blades gives you more maneuverability. It comes apart (2 pieces) to make it easier to carry and store.
The foam rubber grips make it comfortable for long days on the water and the drip guards minimize the amount of water splashing into the boat while you paddle. This paddle also has three position adjustments to accommodate the arm lengths of almost anyone in your family.
- The paddle floats, making it easier to recover if dropped into the water.
- The adjustable positions make it more comfortable for people of varied sizes to use – eliminating the need for one person to do all the work on a full-day excursion.
- Two-piece construction makes it easier to carry and store – some customers have successfully used it as two paddles rather than one.
- Available in 3 sizes, making it easy to get the correct paddle for your build and your kayak.
- The paddle design makes it possible to move a greater amount of water with each stroke – making it easier to cruise at a higher speed when on long trips.
- This paddle does not have a hook retriever or measuring tape that the avid fisherman may be looking for.
- Some consumers state that the paddle bounces when hitting the water.
3. Leader Accessories Kayak Paddle
I’m always looking for the best kayak paddles as I use many designs according to what I need. Sometimes I prefer something inexpensive. Other times, I go for the high tech choice, especially when I need to cover larger distances to get closer to my fish. Leader Accessories is one of those brands offering affordable kayak paddles. Their release is certainly one a best kayak paddle for the money design.
It features simple 2-piece construction which is more than enough for the average user. Somewhere along the line, manufacturers kept increasing prices to the point when even considering a kayak is something left to the right. But this wasn’t always like this in the early days of kayaking. This is why the paddle from Leader Accessories is one of the suitable options for all types of uses.
It comes in 5 sizes ranging from the shortest 85” to the longest 96” adjustable paddles. Even such a simple paddle still comes with various materials. Leader Accessories used aluminum, carbon, and fiberglass for this lightweight release. The paddles are also easily installed. A simple push-button connects and disconnects the paddles.
This system has also been made so that it doesn’t get damaged by water. It even prevents the water from getting from the shaft inside the kayak. As one of the best affordable kayak paddles, it offers plenty interesting strengths. Furthermore, with molded plastic blades, the paddles can also be transported without too much hustle. If you’ve made up your mind, there are extra benefits to consider. Various colors are also available to match your specific kayak.
- Made with aluminum, fiberglass and carbon
- Easy one-button paddle attachment
- Available in various colors
- The shaft is big and heavy for small hands
4. Bending Branches Angler Kayak Paddle
The Bending Branches Angler Classic is designed with the avid angler in mind. With a fiberglass shaft and fiberglass blades, this paddle is durable and easy to use. The shaft is also adjustable to make it easier to change rowers or kayaks.
There is one available that adjusts between 230 centimeters to 245 centimeters. The second option adjusts between 240 centimeters to 255 centimeters. Designed for the fisherman, this kayak paddle comes with hook retrieval system incorporated into the blade.
This can be used for recovering lures hung in trees, untangling line, and retrieving your hook from that big catch. The shaft is equipped with a tape measure (Inches and centimeters) that allows you to instantly measure your catch.
- Fiberglass construction makes this paddle durable and lightweight
- The hook retrieval system allows you to retrieve your hook from a large fish and recover lost lures
- Dual measuring tape allows you to measure your fish to be sure you are within creel limits and/or to give you bragging rights for the largest fish caught
- The fact that the paddle breaks down into two pieces make it easier to carry, transport, and store
- Being adjustable allows you to change paddlers if one gets tired on a long paddle out or to use it with kayaks of varied sizes
- May not be the best whitewater kayak paddle
5. Carlisle Magic Plus Kayak Paddle
The Carlisle Magic Plus kayak paddle is constructed with high-impact glass filled polypropylene. The shaft is constructed of fiberglass, making the weight of the paddle approximately 35.6 ounces.
This paddle offers a lot of maneuverability because of the slightly curved blade and flexible fiberglass shaft. The flexibility of the shaft allows to paddle longer with less stress on your joints – giving you plenty of opportunity to find where the fish are hiding.
- Construction of blades make this paddle durable and lightweight for easier paddling
- Slightly spooned blade and flexible shaft ensure a day filled with fun without stress on your joints and muscles
- You have the option to choose from three lengths – 220cm, 230cm, and 240cm – allowing you to choose the correct paddle for you
- The paddle comes in three bright colors – Cloud, Sunrise, and Blue
- This kayak blade is not adjustable
6. Werner Camano Premium Kayak Paddle
The Werner Camano 2-piece straight paddle comes in a variety of bright colors. The mid-size paddle and variety of sizes make it possible for a wide range of paddlers to use comfortably. With a combination of light weight and sturdiness, the Camano can withstand long days on the water.
The Camano breaks down into two pieces for easier transport and storage. It also has a number system that allows you to feather the paddle at different angles to find the right fit for you.
- The Smart View Adjustable ferrule allows the two pieces of the paddle to connect with no outside pieces to snag your gear.
- The Smart View Adjustable ferrule also allows you to feather the paddle at several angles to find the angle that works best for you. The ranges include 0, 15, 30, 45, or 60-degree angles.
- At 27.5 ounces, with mid-size paddles, the Camano is an appropriate fit for a wide range of paddlers.
- The Dihedral design directs the flow of water over the blade surface to the outer edge allowing for smooth and stable paddling.
- The light-weight design would be suitable for the beginning paddler as well as younger paddlers.
- The Camano is among the higher-priced range of paddles.
- Some paddlers prefer a more ergonomic bent paddle design rather than a straight design.
7. Shoreline Marine Kayak Paddle
The aluminum build of the Shoreline Marine Kayak Paddle makes it lightweight and durable. The contour molded blades allow you to paddle through the water without overexerting yourself when you spend long days on the water.
You can disassemble the paddle into two pieces, making it easier to transport and store. Foam grips make paddling more comfortable on long trips while the drip guards keep you drier as you paddle. The Shoreline Marine kayak paddle is very light-weight and adjusts to fit your stroke and is a smart choice for paddlers of all ages and skills.
- The three-position adjusting system allows you to adjust the paddle to fit your personalized stroke preference.
- Durable and light-weight aluminum build makes this paddle corrosion-resistant and sturdy enough for long trips.
- The contoured blades decrease the amount of splash when paddling.
- Foam grips make paddling more comfortable, allowing you to take longer trips without the worry of blisters.
- Drip guards protect you from large amounts of water flowing down the pole onto you and the boat, keeping you drier and more comfortable.
- The shaft is not filled with foam, so the paddle will sink if not retrieved quickly.
- Some customer state the paddles are not strong enough for rough, weed or stump-filled waters.
8. Cannon Escape E Kayak Paddle
This paddle weighs 39 ounces, with a sturdy aluminum shaft make this paddle easier to control and pull through the water. One of the most important considerations when choosing a whitewater best kayak paddle is choosing one that fits you in a way that the paddle becomes an extension of your upper body.
- The Escape is equipped with three blade angle settings which allows you to adjust the paddle to best suit your paddling style.
- The blades are constructed of fiberglass-reinforced nylon to enhance stability while making it easier to pull the blades through the water.
- The shaft is constructed of heat-treated, anodized aluminum that enhances your control as you paddle through rough waters.
- Oval hand grips make it easier to grip and control the paddle.
- Lightweight and durable construction makes this paddle easy to use in any type of water.
- The Escape paddle does not float.
9. Advanced Elements Compact Touring Paddle
Like choosing other types of paddles, choosing a touring paddle usually comes down to fit and comfort. Paddlers can paddle up to one thousand strokes each mile. This makes it vital to have a paddle that fits your size as well as the size of your kayak boat. The Advanced Elements Compact Touring best Kayak Paddle is lightweight and portable.
It disassembles into 4 pieces, giving you a storage length of only 25 inches. It will allow you to feather left and right up to 60 degrees, enabling you to find the best position for a comfortable stroke. The asymmetrical blades make it easier for you to paddle on long trips on open water.
- This Advanced Elements kayak paddle breaks down into 4 pieces which makes it very easy to carry to your vehicle as well as transporting and storing with minimal space needed.
- Even though the paddle collapses into 4 pieces, when put together, it is very sturdy and easy to use.
- The asymmetrical dihedral paddles give you a more efficient paddling experience
- Paddle adjustment feature gives you a more ergonomic and comfortable paddling experience.
- This paddle works well for the beginner and the experienced paddler.
- The paddle is heavier than some at 2.7 pounds.
- Some customers say the paddle floats only a short while, so you must retrieve it quickly to avoid losing it.
10. WDAM Kayak Paddle
This lightweight performer is suitable for most kayaks. As one of the best paddles for kayak fishing, it features a lightweight shaft. The curved paddles also help gain speed a lot faster. Those who don’t have the muscle strength to go with flatter paddles will find this design satisfying.
At a length of just over 90”, the kayak paddle is just the right size. It works on rapid waters as it works on lakes as well. One of the best options for those who’re not professional kayak users is to simply sit straight and to let the paddle to the work if it’s a lightweight design. This is certainly the case with the WDAM paddle.
The aluminum shaft is combined with the carbon fiber materials for a balanced feel and construction. But users also get a rubberized shaft which adds to the grip strength. There’s no need to deal with a cold kayak paddle early in the morning either as a result. With a 2-piece construction, the paddle should also fit the trunk without moving around too much fishing gear.
- Made with a rubberized shaft
- Curved paddles for extra power
- One paddle blade weighs only 38.8oz
- Only available on black
How to Choose Best Fishing Kayak Paddle for Money
Before beginning your search for a kayak, it is important to decide how you will be using it. There are many activities that can be done from a kayak, including fishing, hunting, and whitewater kayaking. Knowing the purpose of the kayak will help you choose the best kayak paddle.
Other things to consider are choosing the kayak paddle for women and/or children. For children, you want to find the best lightweight paddle until they develop paddling skills. Let’s look at the most notable features for choosing the best recreational paddle.
Length of Paddle
Two things factor into choosing the correct length for your paddle. The width of your kayak and your height. A wide kayak needs a longer paddle. If you are tall, you need a longer paddle. Most companies have a comparison chart to determine the length of the paddle needed. The most prevalent numbers used are your torso height and kayak width. The chart below is an example from Werner Paddles.
|Your Height||Boat Width Below 23”||Boat Width 23 – 28“||Boat Width 28 – 32“||Boat Width More than 32”|
|Below 5 feet tall||210 centimeters||220 centimeters||230 centimeters||240 centimeters|
|5’ – 5’6”||215 centimeters||220 centimeters||230 centimeters||240 centimeters|
|5’6” – 6’||220 centimeters||220 centimeters||230 centimeters||250 centimeters|
|Taller than 6’||220 centimeters||230 centimeters||240 centimeters||250 centimeters|
The two most common materials used to make the shaft of kayak paddle are carbon/fiberglass and aluminum. Carbon/fiberglass shafts are lightweight yet durable. Lightweight paddles work more efficiently and are best if speed is your goal.
Aluminum shafts make the best inexpensive kayak paddle. These shafts are durable and work well for recreational activities such as fishing. However, an aluminum shaft is affected by the weather. The shaft gets cold in chilly weather and hot to the touch in warm weather. It may be wise to have a pair of gloves handy for handling your paddle.
The most common types of material for blades are carbon-fiber, fiberglass, and plastic. The type of kayak blade you choose will be determined mostly by cost. Carbon-fiber blades are the most expensive and the most lightweight. The best carbon fiber kayak paddle will be more durable than fiberglass or plastic, and the price reflects it. Best fiberglass kayak paddle will be more durable than plastic and less expensive than carbon fiber.
The drawback to fiberglass paddles is that, though they usually will not crack, they do tend to chip. The best cheap kayak paddle is one made of plastic. However, durability is often sacrificed when you choose a plastic paddle. Plastic kayak paddles can crack, and the material can deteriorate if exposed to the hot sun for extended periods of time.
The Process I Used to Pick the Best Kayak Paddle for the Money
The first step of the process in choosing the best kayak paddle for the money is to determine how you will be using the paddle. Will you be using it for a leisurely day on the water, to fish, or to ride the rapids? The second step is to consider your size as well as the size of your kayak. A paddle should be as personalized to your dimensions as possible to make your experience on the waterless taxing to your body and overall more relaxing.
The length chart above may help in general terms, but each manufacturer may have their own charts to determine length. The third step is determining extra features that you may need for your purpose. If you are searching for the best kayak paddle for fishing, there are certain features that will make your fishing experience more enjoyable.
Wrapping It Up
With the above process in mind, I feel the best kayak paddle for the avid fisherman is the Bending Branches Angler Classic. The major features that won me over are the hook retrieval system and the built-in measuring system. What is more important to an angler than being able to retrieve lost hooks and measure that big catch without having to search for extra tools?
The Angler Classic is lightweight and durable. The infinite feathering angles allows you get the absolute best positioning for your stroke style. The telescoping ferrule also allows you to easily change the length to fit another person if you have the gigantic fish on. Whether you are fishing with a friend or with your son/daughter, the quick adjustability of the Angler Classic makes it one of the best kayak paddles for the money. So, relax and fish on.