Rain gear is an essential part of the avid fisherman’s gear. Whether you are a professional fisherman or a sport fisherman, you will want to find the best rain gear for fishing that works well but doesn’t break your bank.
Rain gear is definitely a must on rainy days. However, it can be just as handy on windy days or any time you fish from a kayak boat. Rainy weather often improves the fish bite – so, you always want to be prepared by having adequate rain gear.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Rain Gears for Fishing in 2020
- Top 10 Best Rain Gear for Fishing Reviews in 2020
- 1. Frogg Toggs All Sport Rain Suit
- 2. Wantdo Men’s Mountain Windproof Rain Jacket
- 3. Grundéns Weather Watch Hooded Fishing Jacket
- 4. MICKYMIN Men’s Hiking Windproof Rain Jackets
- 5. Frogg Toggs Tekk Toad Breathable Rain Jacket
- 6. Frogg Toggs Pilot II Guide Rain Jacket
- 7. Navis Marine Fishing Rain Jacket
- 8. Grundéns Men’s Brigg 44 Fishing Parka
- 9. Helly Hansen Workwear Men’s Rain and Fishing Jacket
- 10. Stormr Strykr Neoprene Jacket
- What to Look for When Purchasing Rain Gear
- Caring for Your Rain Gear
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Rain Gears for Fishing in 2020
|Frogg Toggs Rain Suit||Check Price|
|Wantdo Men’s Rain Jacket||Check Price|
|Grundéns Fishing Jacket||Check Price|
|MICKYMIN Rain Jackets||Check Price|
|Frogg Toggs Tekk Toad Rain Jacket||Check Price|
|Frogg Toggs Pilot II Rain Jacket||Check Price|
|Navis Marine Rain Jacket||Check Price|
|Grundéns Brigg 44 Fishing Parka||Check Price|
|Helly Hansen Rain Jacket||Check Price|
|Stormr Strykr Neoprene Jacket||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Rain Gear for Fishing Reviews in 2020
1. Frogg Toggs All Sport Rain Suit
The jacket has a fully adjustable hood and elastic sleeve openings to give you a tight, comfortable fit. The pants have an adjustable cord at the waist and adjustable leg opening that keep your legs warm and dry when wading or standing on a wet bank.
- 4 colors to choose from – black, green/black, blue/black, stone/black, and camo
- Adjustable and detachable hood
- Jacket zipper is covered with a waterproof storm flap
- Pants have a four-panel cut making them flexible and comfortable
- Made from nonwoven polypropylene for durability and breathability
- No pockets
- Some customers felt the pants were too bulky
2. Wantdo Men’s Mountain Windproof Rain Jacket
Wantdo waterproof fishing gear is made from comfortable material with double layered thermos lining thus you can be sure that you will not feel cold even during rainy and stormy weather. Moreover, many customers have reported that these jackets are great for a number of activities including hunting, hiking and camping.
The outer layer is made from patented material that will keep you warm even in -5 Degrees Celsius. Plus, the outer layer is completely water repellent yet remains breathable thus you will not have to worry about sweating while doing active movements such as fishing or hunting.
Furthermore, customers have reported that the sizing chart is correct and that the manufacturer offers a year of warranty for major tears or fabric color fading out. Lastly, you can select matching pants and gloves as well as a tactical backpack with many pockets for carrying various small items.
- Size chart is accurate
- Matching pants, gloves and tactical backpack available straight from the manufacturer
- Durable yet breathable
- Available in many colors
- Manufactured in China
- Hood is not removable
3. Grundéns Weather Watch Hooded Fishing Jacket
The Grunden Men’s Gage Weather Watch is lightweight and fully seam taped to offer you the most comfortable and dry day on the water. Its breathability allows you to fight the largest fish without overheating.
The jacket is adjustable at the hem and sleeves with adjustable hat, giving you the tightest fit possible while remaining maneuverable enough to cast and catch. You have a variety of bright colors to choose from.
- Choice of colors includes: black, glacier blue, green, yellow, camo, navy blue, and red
- Has 2 large pockets for storage
- The hood is full-sized and adjustable to give you the right fit
- Fully taped seams make it 100% waterproof
- Durable and Lightweight
- Finding the correct size may be a problem – some customers say it runs small, others say it runs large
4. MICKYMIN Men’s Hiking Windproof Rain Jackets
Contrary to popular belief, fishing is not just a men’s sport. Women all over the world enjoy nothing more than a day on the water, searching for that big catch. Whether they fish professionally or recreationally, a little rain won’t keep them down.
The Charex Rain Coat is lightweight and breathable for a comfortable fit and plenty of maneuverability. Waterproof and windproof, this jacket can also be used for rock climbing, cycling, hiking, and camping.
- Fully seam taped to make it 100% waterproof
- Lightweight and breathable for a comfortable fit
- 2 side pockets and 1 hidden chest pocket offers plenty of room for storing gear
- Available in a blue, dark blue, green, and red
- Hood is detachable
- The jacket fits small, so you will need to order a size larger than you normally wear
5. Frogg Toggs Tekk Toad Breathable Rain Jacket
Breathability is one of the key factors for comfortable best rain gear. Think of the hard-plastic rain gear of the past that did keep the rain out but also kept the moisture and heat in. That often made for a very uncomfortable fishing trip.
As a fisherman, you want to keep the rain out while at the same time letting the heat created by your body out. Frogg Toggs Tekk Toad Wading Jacket is made from Dripore breathable material and is 100% seam sealed for comfort and protection.
- This jacket is equipped with an expandable box pocket located on the chest as well as handwarmer or storage pockets – keep your gear and your hands warm and dry.
- The front zipper is fully covered complete with storm flap and rain gutter to ensure your front stays warm and dry as you move around.
- Has an adjustable storm hood that is large enough to wear over a cap.
- This jacket was designed with the fly fisherman in mind, so it gives you plenty of maneuverability and breathability – keeping you dry and comfortable while you fish
- Pants must be purchased separately
- The hood does not detach nor roll up into a pocket
6. Frogg Toggs Pilot II Guide Rain Jacket
Another sleek waterproof jacket for young men that is made from high quality material plus these jackets are made in Canada thus you can be sure of its quality. Moreover, you can choose from several modern prints that will not wash away even after tents of cycles in the washing machine.
Plus, this rain jacket comes with a breathable yet warm hood that can be removed whenever it is not needed. Furthermore, many customers have reported that these Frogg jackets come with a useful waterproof zipper that goes all the way from the chin right to the bottom of this waterproof jacket.
Also, this jacket has an internal system of various sized pockets that you can use in order to store items such as mobile, cigarettes, sunglasses, wipes and other small but necessary items.
Lastly, the manufacturer of these rain jackets offer matching accessories such as bibs, gloves and pants for an additional price thus you can always purchase similar items in order to create a matching suit that your family and friends will definitely approve.
Sadly, keep in mind that lots of individuals who have purchased these jackets have stated that the sizing chart offered by the manufacturer is incorrect thus be careful when picking your size.
- Beautiful jackets for young men as well as middle-aged individuals
- Pattern will not wash out even in the washing machine
- Comes with many pockets
- Matching items can be found for an additional price
- Sizing chart is incorrect
- Not dryer safe
- Available in limited colors only
Navis Marine Fishing Gear is made from durable yet comfortable to the skin material plus customers can find this particular waterproof suit in various colors and over 6 different sizes. Moreover, it is made from a 2-layered material with the top layer made from completely waterproof yet breathable fabric that has been patented by the manufacturer.
Furthermore, this waterproof 2 piece suit is made with many different sized pockets for you convenience thus meaning you can carry many small things with you such as bait, weights and hooks without worrying to have to carry a fishing bag with yourself every step of your fishing trip.
The pockets are made with YKK zippers that have also been specially made for use in fishing and hunting gears thus they are waterproof as well. Plus, this Navis Marine Fishing Gear comes with a 2 point adjustable storm hood that many customers have reported to be comfortable to wear and said that it does not obstruct views during use.
Also, the chin part of the fishing gear jacket is made with padded material so as to ensure that you do not chaff your chin and neck during use plus the bottom hem can be adjusted as per your needs with the help of cord-drawstrings.
- Available in many different colors
- Available in several pretty and bright colors
- Made from 100% nylon material that is waterproof
- Many pockets for carrying small items with you
- The pants were reported to be uncomfortable
- Size chart has been reported to be inaccurate by the customers
8. Grundéns Men’s Brigg 44 Fishing Parka
There is nothing like riding on a boat with a couple of buddies at the lake searching for that huge largemouth bass. There is also nothing like getting soaked by a sudden downpour while on that boat in the middle of the lake.
For your next bass fishing adventure, try the Grunden Brigg 44 Parka. The PVC-coated cotton provides a relaxed fit and mobility, while the neoprene cuffs seal out water at the sleeve and make this jacket 100% waterproof.
- The adjustable hood adjusts with a drawstring and features a hidden button closure along with a double-buttoned storm flap to keep you protected from the elements
- Neoprene cuffs effectively seal off moisture at your wrists
- Available in sizes XS – 5XL
- This is a heavy-duty rain jacket that can be used by professional fishermen, construction workers, and recreational fisherman in cold and warm temperatures
- No pockets
- Made large, so be sure to look carefully at the sizing chart
9. Helly Hansen Workwear Men’s Rain and Fishing Jacket
The Helly Hansen Workwear Men’s Impertech Deluxe Rain and Fishing Jacket is a terrific addition to your fishing gear. This jacket is designed for work or play and provides an adjustable fit that allows you to move easily and keeps you dry and warm while you work or fish.
Coupled with the Helly Hansen Workwear Men’s Impertech Waist Fishing and Rain Pant or the Helly Hansen Workwear Men’s Impertech Rain and Fishing Bib Pant, you are protected all over from the elements as your work or play.
- Waterproof and stretchable fabric give you protection while allowing you to move freely
- Microweld seam construction makes this jacket 100% waterproof
- Attached hood rolls up and tucks into the collar so it is not in the way when you don’t need it
- Has two waterproof pockets for gear
- Adjustable sleeves allow you to find the right fit for you
- Some customers state the jacket fits big, so you may need to purchase a smaller size than you normally wear.
10. Stormr Strykr Neoprene Jacket
For wading, a fishing bib along with your rain jacket can keep your legs and lower body dry and comfortable. Bibs are your go-to if you like to wade out to fish on a warm, summer day and do not need the protection of your jacket but want your legs and waist area to remain dry.
The Stormr Strykr Bib has adjustable should straps, adjustable waistband, and adjustable ankle cuffs so that you can get a waterproof fit. It has two pockets for your hands and two cargo pockets for your gear. You’ll have everything you need for that next big catch.
- This bib is fully seam taped making it 100% waterproof.
- Vented back panel ensures breathability so that you remain dry and comfortable while wading
- Features a full-length interior storm flap to avoid leaks around the zippers
- Adjustable waistband, ankles, and shoulder straps allow your to fit for the most protection and maneuverability
- Jacket must be purchased separately
- Some customers state the bib fits small, so you may need a size up from your normal size
What to Look for When Purchasing Rain Gear
While having rain gear is important, it is even more important to have the right rain gear. Staying dry and warm allows you to focus on the task at hand – and that is catching the big one. Here are a few things to consider:
- The hood is an essential part of the rain gear. Adjustable hoods are best because you can adjust the hood to fit your properly to keep more water out.
- Features to look for on jackets include adjustable wrist closures and a draw cord on the waist. The tighter the fit, the less chance of water seeping through.
- Seam taping is another area that should be focused on. If you are searching for waterproof rather than water resistant, it is vital that all seams have seam tape.
These are just a few of the features that you should consider when searching for the best fishing rain gear for the money. Be sure to check out our fishing rain gear reviews below to check out some of the best rain gear for fishing.
Caring for Your Rain Gear
When you find the best rain gear for you, you want to make it last as long as possible. It is important to keep your gear clean, but also to protect the coating that makes your gear waterproof. Each product may have different care instructions, so be sure to read the instructions on the label or research care instructions for your specific brand.
Things to Do
After each use, especially in salt water, you should undo all zippers, buttons, or snaps – then rinse your jacket or pants using fresh water only. Allow to drip dry away from any direct heating source.
When you are ready to wash your rain gear, you can choose to hand wash using soap flakes or machine wash using a small amount of liquid detergent. If washing in a washing machine, use warm water on the delicate cycle. Allow to drip dry away from a heating source.
Things Not to Do
- No bleach
- No dry cleaning – unless specified by the manufacturer
- Avoid wringing out to avoid breaking down the composition of the fabric
- No ironing
- Don’t put away garments while they are wet – allow them to dry completely before storing
Durable Water Repellent
Most rain gear is coated with a durable water repellent (DWR). This repellent is what causes water to bead up and roll off your garment. However, with regular use and laundering, this substance can begin to wear off.
There are products on the market that allow you to restore the DWR on your fishing rain gear. Be sure to check with the manufacturer of your gear for the best product to use for your specific brand and follow their instructions for the best result.
As with any fishing gear, how long it lasts can depend on the care you give it. Even if you do not wash after each use, be sure to rinse with fresh water to remove salt or dirt, then let drip dry. With proper care, today’s rain gear can keep your warm and dry for years to come.
When choosing the best fishing rain gear, I wanted to find the best rain gear for the money. Money can often be a deciding factor when choosing fishing gear because if you want all the right gear to be successful, it can become quite expensive. Keeping that in mind, my favorite of these best rain gear products is the Frogg Toggs All Sport Rain Suit.
One of the main reasons is that you get an entire suit without having to purchase jackets and pants or bibs separately, making this the best budget-conscious choice. Another key factor in my decision is the full adjustability of the suit – the hood is adjustable as well as the waist, sleeves, and ankles.
This allows you to create a water-tight and comfortable fit that allows lots of maneuverability while fishing. This product has everything you need for the money – waterproof, breathable, lightweight, durable, and comfortable. The only thing you will need to worry about is what you came to do – catch that next trophy fish.