Simply put, a spinning rod is a rod that holds a spinning reel. If the type of fishing you do requires constant casting, the spinning reel may be the best option for you. The spinning reel allows you to get a consistently well-placed cast. The best spinning rod is the great option to combine with your spinning reel. Your reel will attach to a casting rod; however, your casting distance will not be as great.
The same applies for using a casting reel on a spinning rod. If you choose to purchase a combination rod – one that comes already assembled – the guess work is taken out of the equation. But if you choose to purchase rod and reel separately, it is vital to understand the different types of rods and which reel works best.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Spinning Rods in 2021
- Top 10 Best Spinning Rod Reviews in 2021
- 1. KastKing Perigee II Spinning Rods
- 2. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
- 3. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod
- 4. Abu Garcia Mike Iaconelli Fishing Rod
- 5. Berkley Lightning Spinning Rod
- 6. Cadence CR7 Best Spinning Rod
- 7. Favorite Fishing USA Spinning Fishing Rod
- 8. Daiwa ribatexikurabu Spinning Fishing Rod
- 9. St Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods
- 10. Penn Battalion Inshore Spinning Rods
- Type of Fishing Rods
- Features of a Spinning Rod
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Final Thoughts
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Spinning Rods in 2021
|KastKing Perigee II Rods||Check Price|
|Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod||Check Price|
|Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod||Check Price|
|Abu Garcia Spinning Rod||Check Price|
|Berkley Lightning Spinning Rod||Check Price|
|Cadence CR7 Spinning Rod||Check Price|
|Favorite Fishing USA Spinning Rod||Check Price|
|Daiwa Spinning Fishing Rod||Check Price|
|St. Croix Spinning Rods||Check Price|
|Penn Battalion Spinning Rods||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Spinning Rod Reviews in 2021
1. KastKing Perigee II Spinning Rods
The KastKing Perigee II Spinning Rods will give you the best fishing experience at a price that won’t break the bank. These twin-tip spinning rods are specially designed to deliver impeccable performance for any fishing technique.
These fishing rods also provide a wide range of power options, including Ultralight, light, medium, medium-light, heavy, and medium-heavy power fishing rods. Therefore, regardless of whatever casting and fishing tactics you use, the KastKing Perigee II Spinning Rods are genuinely dependable.
Finally, this fishing rod set is suitable for various fishing types such as freshwater fishing, saltwater fishing, bass fishing, kayak fishing, and so much more.
- Great value for the price.
- Comes with various fishing rod power options.
- With an easy and comfortable grip.
- Ideal for multiple fishing types.
- This spinning rod is not very sturdy compared to other premium fishing rods.
2. Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod
The Ugly Stik Elite Spinning Rod is one of the best ultralight spinning rods on the market. This 4’6”, one-piece fishing rod features 35% more graphite than the Ugly Stik GX2 for an ultralight rod that is sensitive enough to detect the smallest bite and strong enough to get your catch in.
Ugly Stik is a line of fishing rods from the Shakespeare Company. Shakespeare was founded in 1897 and has been providing anglers with high-quality, affordable fishing tackle for over 115 years. The Ugly Stik was first introduced in 1976 and was the first rod to feature a clear tip and the Howald Process construction that makes it almost indestructible.
- Premium cork handle provides a comfortable grip
- The stainless-steel line guides offer durability while eliminating the aggravation of insert pop-outs
- Clear-tip design is compatible with monofilament and braided line
- Exposed blank reel seat includes cushioned, stainless-steel hoods that keep your reel firmly in place – no slipping or sliding around while you fight a big fish
- Ugly Tech Construction provides flexibility and strength for the best combination in an ultralight spinning reel
- The reel seat is small and will not hold all models of spinning reels
3. Shakespeare Micro Spinning Rod
Modern-looking spinning rod, that comes in four different sizes and is made with durable aluminum and stainless steel material that has been reported not to rust even if used in saltwater with prolonged use.
Moreover the manufacturer has included a nylon carrying case that will protect the spinning rod from getting scratched plus the carrying case can be easily washed in the washing machine as the nylon material is very durable.
Also, customers who have purchased this Shakespeare Micro spinning reel have reported it to be great for catching small fish such as seabass to large species such as salmon and tuna. Lastly this Shakespeare Micro spinning rod can be virtually used with any spinning reel provided that the size of the spinning reel will be compatible with the corresponding model of this spinning reel.
- Made with durable stainless steel and American aluminum
- Comes with a carrying case
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater fishing alike
- Great for small and large fish species
- Compatible with almost all fishing reels
- No warranty
- Made in Thailand
- Available in one size only
4. Abu Garcia Mike Iaconelli Fishing Rod
Lastly, we have the Abu Garcia spinning reel and rod combo which will be a great deal as your will get a 2 in 1 offer. Moreover the manufacturer has ensured that only American stainless steel is used for the fishing rod.
Furthermore, this model of fishing rod will serve you for years to come as it is made from two ball bearing system that has been reported to be very lightweight yet strong enough to pull out even the heaviest of fish.
Also, it comes with a nylon carrying case that will help you protect the fishing rod from scratches and scuffs when it will not being use. Plus, don’t forget to rinse the fishing rod after every use just as a precaution in order to reduce the chance of the rod rusting or corroding with time.
You can use a thin layer of any lubricant and dry microfiber cloth to polish the fishing rod and add a protective layer just make sure you purchase a special lubricant designed to be used with fishing rods.
- Known manufacturer
- A two in one deal of fishing reel and fishing rod
- Comes with nylon carrying case
- Available in 2 different sizes
- No warranty
- Not suitable for saltwater fishing
5. Berkley Lightning Spinning Rod
Berkley is one of the most sought-after brands for top-notch fishing products, and their Lightning & Spinning Rod is one of their best offerings. This rod is specially designed to deliver an impeccable fishing experience and leverage your best fishing techniques.
This spinning rod is constructed with a 24-ton multi-modulus carbon composite, blank construction. It also comes with steel guides and aluminum oxide inserts.
Lastly, for optimum comfort and ease of use, this lightning and spinning rod comes with rubberized cork-wrapped handles. Thus, maneuvering this lightning and spinning rod is going to be a breeze.
- This rod features a 24-ton multi-modulus carbon composite, blank construction.
- Equipped with steel guides and aluminum oxide inserts.
- Its rubberized cork-wrapped handles deliver an easy and comfortable grip.
- Not suitable to use with small reels.
- This spinning rod is not the most durable one on the market.
6. Cadence CR7 Best Spinning Rod
Whether you fish for freshwater trout or the saltwater speckled trout, the one common denominator is having the best spinning rod for trout fishing. The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife recommends a lightweight casting or spinning rod around 6 feet in length loaded with 4-6 # test monofilament line.
You can use live bait, such as worms, or artificial lures to attract the trout that can be found in rivers, streams, and lakes. The Cadence CR7 Spinning Rod is one of the best spinning rods for trout on the market.
The company was created to eliminate the middle man and sell their products directly to the angler via their website. Cadence is dedicated to providing quality products at affordable prices, and they don’t stop there. A portion of all profits is used to develop the next generation of anglers by teaching kids how to fish.
- Constructed with 40-ton graphite for a lightweight rod that is sensitive enough to capture that first nibble
- The rod is carbon wrapped for durability, corrosion resistance, and strength
- You will get smooth casting from the rust-resistant stainless-steel guides with SIC inserts
- The handle is made of premium cork and EVA foam to provide maximum comfort during the cast and the fight
- Quality Fuji reel seat keeps your reel firmly in place
- The most common complaint is the tip breaking during the fight
7. Favorite Fishing USA Spinning Fishing Rod
If you are searching for a spinning rod that delivers the ultimate fishing experience, then the Favorite Fishing USA Spinning Fishing Rod is one you are surely going to appreciate. Constructed with advanced-level materials and technologies, this spinning fishing rod is guaranteed to withstand the wear and tear of long-standing use.
This spinning rod comes with a medium and fast power action to suit any fishing techniques. Additionally, this spinning rod’s Fuji SiCdelivers improved casting distance as well as line management.
For optimum comfort, the Favorite Fishing USA Spinning Fishing Rod is equipped with a very soft EVA grip. Lastly, when discussing durability and performance, this spinning rod is constructed tough while being sensitive enough to detect the slightest bite.
- Durable and dependable for rugged use.
- Comes with medium and fast power action.
- Easy and comfortable grip.
- Sensitive enough to detect the slightest bite.
- This spinning rod is quite expensive.
8. Daiwa ribatexikurabu Spinning Fishing Rod
Those looking for a top-quality fishing rod that is perfect for both professionals and beginners will surely appreciate the Daiwa ribatexikurabu Spinning Fishing Rod. This fishing rod is specially designed to fit all fishing experience levels. Thus, whether it’s your first time fishing or the nth time, this spinning fishing rod is going to be a great companion.
Moreover, this spinning rod is also lightweight and very easy to handle. The grip handle of this rod is also explicitly constructed to deliver an easy and comfortable grip. Therefore, when you use this spinning fishing rod, you will have the utmost fun and not endure a painful palm at the end of the day.
- Ideal for both beginners and professionals.
- This spinning rod is pretty affordable.
- Easy and comfortable to use.
- This spinning rod is not very strong and not suitable for tough fishing.
9. St Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rods
Saltwater fishing requires tougher tackle. Not only are the fish often larger and stronger, but you must take into consideration the salt spray that is always present when saltwater fishing. Based in Park Falls, Wisconsin, St. Croix of Park Falls, LTD was founded in 1948 and is one of the largest manufacturers of fishing rods in the US.
Each St. Croix fishing rod is constructed of premium graphite fiber to provide the strength and flexibility that you need in a fishing rod. If you are searching for one of the best saltwater spinning rods, be sure to consider the St. Croix Mojo Inshore Spinning Rod.
- Aluminum oxide line guides featuring corrosion-resistant frames
- Split-grip cork handle for comfort and grip
- Each rod is hand-crafted and designed for superior performance in saltwater
- Hook-keeper to keep your hook from snagging clothing or carpeting during transport and storage
- Premium SCII graphite for strength and flexibility
- Some anglers state the Mojo is a little unbalanced
10. Penn Battalion Inshore Spinning Rods
Since 1932, the name Penn has been synonymous with fishing. The company’s first recorded sale was in 1933, when a gentleman purchased two fishing reels – the Sea Hawk for $1.21 and the Long Beach for $2.48. If only we could purchase a Penn reel for that price today! The Senator, the most famous reel from the Penn Fishing Tackle Manufacturing Company was introduced in 1936 – and, as they say, the rest is history.
Continuing the founder’s dream of providing the fishing world with the highest quality fishing tackle, the Penn Battalion Inshore Spinning Rod is one of the best spinning rods for the money. Perfect for brackish and inshore fishing, this 100% graphite rod is lightweight yet strong enough to get that big catch in.
- Fuji SS line guides with aluminum oxide inserts work well with any type of line, including braided line
- Premium cork handles offer the ultimate in grip while casting or fighting the big one
- 100% graphite offers incredible sensitivity, flexibility, and strength
- Fuji reel seats secure your reel so there is no movement while casting or retrieving
- Holds 8-15 # test line
- 1-piece rod will not break down for transport and storage
Type of Fishing Rods
There are several types of fishing rods to choose from. As mentioned above, the rod you choose most often depends on the type of reel you choose. Below is a list of a few different types of fishing rods and their uses.
1. Spinning Rod
The spinning rod is the most common type used by amateur fishermen. They are easier to use and work well when casting and retrieving are a large part of the action. Spinning rods are smaller and lighter than casting rods. They are commonly used for trout, bass, pike, walleye, and saltwater fish such as Spanish mackerel and bluefish.
On a spinning rod, the reel hangs from the bottom of the fishing rod and the line moves through the eyes. Most have one large eye near the reel and tapering eyes to the end of the rod. One of the greatest advantages of the spinning rod is you can hold your rod in your dominant hand (left or right), which gives you more control over your cast and retrieval.
2. Casting Rod
Casting rods, or spin cast rods, work best with casting reels – more commonly known as a close-face reel. These are the easiest to master and are perfect for kids and beginning fishermen. Different from the spinning rod, the reel is mounted above the handle rather than hanging from the handle. Casting rods can be used for fishing in lakes and rivers.
3. Fly Rods
This rod is specifically designed for fly fishing. A fly rod uses an extremely lightweight lure (artificial fly) tied to heavy line. The line needs to be heavy so that it sinks under the water, leaving only the lure exposed. Fly rods are most commonly used for trout, carp, bass, salmon, and pike.
Features of a Spinning Rod
When choosing a spinning rod, there are different features to consider. Your success can depend on finding the right balance of length, action, power, and composition. The type of fishing you will be doing will play a vital role in the type of rod you choose.
Power is a measuring scale that pertains to the lifting power or strength of a rod. Fishing rods can be designated as light, medium, medium-heavy, or heavy. Lighter rods should be used for smaller lures and smaller line. Heavy rods should be used for larger fish that require larger lures or heavy bait, heavier line, and are heavier to lift.
The action of a rod describes how much the rod bends when pressure is put on the tip. The action can be described as fast, medium, moderate, or slow. A fast-action rod does not have very much give, so only the top third of the rod bends when you catch a fish. More of the rod bends the slower the action, making the slow action rods the most flexible.
The length of the rod can have a couple of effects on fishing. If you use a lure of the same size on a short and long rod, the long rod casts further. However, the short rod is more accurate. The type of fishing you do will determine the length you need. Use a short rod if precision casting is needed and a long rod for casting in more open areas.
Fishing rods are generally made from the following three materials – graphite, fiberglass, or composite materials. Fiberglass is heavier and tougher. Graphite rods are light and more sensitive but break easier. Composite materials combine both graphite and fiberglass for a meet-in-the-middle effect.
Again, the type of fishing may play a role in your choice. If you need a more sensitive rod that allows you to detect the smallest of bites, graphite is what you need. If you are fishing for larger fish and do not have to feel the bite, you can use the stronger fiberglass fishing rod.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Q: What Is the Most Suitable Spinning Rod Length?
A: If you want to make shorter but more accurate casts, a 6-feet or less rod is more suitable. On the other hand, if accuracy is not a requirement, a 7-feet rod or longer is the best choice.
Q: What Are the Different Types of Spinning Rods?
A: Here are the following types of spinning rods you can find on the market:
Graphite Rods – Graphite rods have been in use since the early 1970s, making them one of the oldest types of fishing rods. These rods are well-renowned for being lightweight, so they are trendy among many anglers. Additionally, graphite rods are also extremely sensitive to fish bites, making them highly efficient for casting.
Fiberglass Rods – Fiberglass spinning rods are considered the most reliable rods in the angling industry. Just like graphite rods, fiberglass rods are also among the oldest types of rods. They are also one of the most popular among anglers across the globe. They are known for being extremely durable and long-standing, making them reliable for long-term use.
Composite Rods – If you are an angler who is big on a rod’s performance, then you might want to choose composite rods instead of fiberglass or graphite rods. Composite rods are essentially constructed with a combination of graphite and fiberglass materials. These rods are well-known for their versatility.
Q: What Is the Most Expensive Spinning Rod?
A: Composite rods are the most expensive spinning rod options on the market. They offer better versatility and efficiency than fiberglass and graphite rods.
These ten spinning rods are some of the best spinning rods on the market today. There are so many great choices, I have no doubt you will find the one that is perfect for you. Each angler is different. Some are brand specific and only purchase specific, tried and true brands. My dad used the same brand his entire life. Myself, I like to experiment and try new things.
Especially when I can find the best spinning rod for under $100. It’s all in the action and the durability – price tag does not mean everything. Fishing most often is a lifetime endeavor. That is why it is so important to find a fishing rod that offers balance, strength, and just the right amount of action. Since most anglers spend long hours on the water, comfort is also a huge factor.
I can’t tell you how many times I have come home with blisters on my hands after hours of fishing with a rod that was not the best one for the job. Most of all, remember that fishing is supposed to be fun, an adventure, and a way to bond with friends and family. Fish responsibly, fish safely, but, most of all, FISH!