A trolling motor is an electric powered outboard engine that is mounted on the bow or transom of a small boat, providing a secondary mode of propulsion. You must need a best trolling motor battery to run a motor boat. It consists of an engine that is enclosed in a water proof casing which attaches to a prop shaft that, when submerged, prevents engine overheating.
A trolling motor allows you to move at different speeds which can help you catch fish. However, it’s ineffective when you don’t have a trolling motor battery. The best trolling motor battery will let you stay and move on the water for hours, and it will power your motor and maybe even your other on board appliances as well.
Table of Contents
- Comparison of 10 Best Trolling Motor Batteries in 2020
- Top 10 Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews in 2020
- 1. MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center
- 2. UPG UB121000 Deep Cycle Battery
- 3. Optima 8016-103 Deep Cycle Marine Battery
- 4. Experts Power EXP12180 Lead Acid Battery
- 5. Mighty Max Trolling Motor Deep Cycle Battery
- 6. UPG UB12120 AGM Battery
- 7. Interstate Sealed Lead Acid AGM Deep Cycle Battery
- 8. VMAX MR127 Deep Cycle AGM Battery
- 9. Universal Power Group Battery for Minn Kota
- 10. Weize Deep Cycle Trolling Motor Battery
- How to Care Your Trolling Motor Battery – Step by Step Guide
- Final Verdict
- Relevant Resources
Comparison of 10 Best Trolling Motor Batteries in 2020
|MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center||Check Price|
|UPG Deep Cycle Battery||Check Price|
|Optima Deep Cycle Marine Battery||Check Price|
|Expert Power EXP12180 Battery||Check Price|
|Mighty Max Battery||Check Price|
|UPG UB12120 Battery||Check Price|
|Interstate AGM Deep Cycle Battery||Check Price|
|VMAX MR127 AGM Deep Cycle Battery||Check Price|
|UPG Trolling Motor Battery||Check Price|
|Weize Deep Cycle Battery||Check Price|
Top 10 Best Trolling Motor Battery Reviews in 2020
Which one is the best? It’s a million dollar Question, To answer that question, we offer several excellent options for you to choose from:
1. MinnKota Trolling Motor Power Center
This is a battery holder which provides you with a perfect compartment to stow your battery securely. The appliance is of much help for those who have a problem carrying heavy-duty best trolling motor battery from place to place. It’s especially ideal for small boats lacking a battery compartment.
It is more than everything you need from a deep cycle battery holder. Even better, this unit looks neat and is built with quality materials. Circuit breakers, accessory power supplies, and a convenient battery meter are all combined in a solidly built power center.
The handy features the holder affords are fairly worth the price. It has easy to access external battery terminals that allow trolling motor leads and charger leads to be connected without opening the box. Additionally, it features two manual reset circuit breakers: 60 amp for trolling motor and 15 amp for accessory plugs.
- A perfect motor center for small-sized boat transom apps
- Small compact design for boat owners that need a place for their battery to hold
- The battery case provides two twelve volt accessory plugs and a manual reset circuit breaker
- A built-in meter for users to see the exact state of charge in the battery that is in the case
- Seamless and quick access for the battery terminals to connect the leads
- The size is only for 24 and 27 size batteries.
- No battery is included.
- Primarily for small boat applications
2. UPG UB121000 Deep Cycle Battery
Deep cycle batteries are lead-acid batteries designed to offer a steady amount of current over an extended period. They come with thicker plates which enable them to be deeply discharged over and over again.
The Universal UB121000-45978 is a first-rate deep cycle battery that delivers excellent performance, albeit in a large and heavy package. Its battery only weighs 63.93 lbs., which is very lightweight when compared to other batteries.
Ideally, It has a charge voltage of about 14.5 to 14.9 volts and a float voltage of approximately 13.6 to 13.8 volts. Besides that, this battery is spill proof allowing you to mount it in any position without worrying about dealing with any leaks. It is designed to resist vibration and shock and is maintenance free.
- Because of its sealed design and use of AGM technology, this battery does not require any ongoing maintenance as a lead acid battery would
- Comes with a one year warranty
- Rated at 100AH, giving it ample power and energy capacity for use with trolling motors and other equipment that requires a slow, steady draw of energy
- With an AGM (absorbent glass mat) design, this battery delivers excellent deep cycling performance that’s remarkably consistent
- This battery has a standing self-discharge of less than three percent per month, making it a very efficient store of energy that doesn’t require frequent charging.
- This is a heavy battery. It’s also cumbersome, with a total weight of almost 64 pounds
3. Optima 8016-103 Deep Cycle Marine Battery
Admittedly, this is one of the best marine dual-purpose batteries with a nominal voltage of 12 volts. With a weight of around 45 pounds, and dimensions 7.94 inches, by 6.88 inches, by 10.06 inches this battery is easily transportable.
It comes with 870 A marine cranking amps and 750 A cold cranking amps. When completely charged, its internal resistance is 0.0028 ohms, which makes it one of the best marine starting batteries with low internal resistance.
Ideally, this Optima battery has Spiralcell technology and AGM design, which provides better performance and more reliability, making it one of the best dual-purpose batteries out there. Optima Blue Top D34M is also one of the best marine batteries for trolling motor. Unlike other batteries that can only be used for either engine starting applications or deep cycle tasks, this battery can do work both ways.
- It is cost-effective when you consider the service it will give you
- This battery charges up quickly, up to ninety percent within thirty-five minutes
- Being a flooded battery, it can last much longer even with deep discharges
- It suffers far less damage when overcharged
- If the right charger and setting are used, it cannot overcharge
- Long life if it is well maintained, reaching over 1000-cycles
- This battery is light and more efficient
- You cannot add distilled water because it is sealed
- This battery cannot withstand excessive vibrations
4. Experts Power EXP12180 Lead Acid Battery
A 20 hour lead acid battery that comes right with bolts and nuts plus the manufacturer has included direct instructions on how to change the battery yourself. Moreover, the body of this battery is made from shock and vibration resistant material that can also withstand high heat temperatures.
Furthermore, the Expert Power brand is known around the world for its durability, quality as well as good service. Also, the bottom of this battery is made from a GM which stands for or absorbed glass mat that prevents the lead acid battery from leaking.
This Expert Power best trolling motor battery is easy to install and change as the manufacturer has included a clear step-by-step instruction booklet in the packaging box. Customers have reported that they were able to change the battery themselves whenever needed by following the instruction provided.
Lastly, you can find this battery in different packages ranging from one pack to 10 battery pack depending on whether you would like to buy in advance and have the spare batteries on hand. If you’re planning on buying the battery for future make sure that you store it correctly as it can leak and potentially burn your skin.
- Available in different packs ranging from 1 to 10 batteries
- Known brand
- Good customer support
- 20 hours sealed lead acid battery with bolts
- Absorbed glass mat on the bottom that will prevent licking
- Wide temperature range
- Instruction booklet does not have pictures on the text
- No money back guarantee
5. Mighty Max Trolling Motor Deep Cycle Battery
Mighty Max 12 volt 55Ah closed lead acid valve regulated batteries are maintenance free, affordable and rugged. These SLA batteries are used for different applications including industrial and medical devices, computer systems, UPS backups, scooters, wheelchairs, electric vehicles, and more.
Providing power when you need it, this best battery for trolling motor makes use of a high-tech, tough, calcium-alloy grid that delivers amazing efficiency and service life in both float and cyclic applications. Interesting enough, no electrolyte leak can occur from the terminals or case of this battery.
This feature assures efficient, safe operation of this battery in any position. Absorptive Glass Mat System (AGM System) battery makes use of fine mat separators (glass fiber) where enough electrolytes is absorbed to provide the longest life and steady serve.
- Advanced AGM Technology
- It’s very durable
- No maintenance is required for it
- 100% OEM Replacement
- It’s very compact
- Maintenance Free
- 1 Year Warranty
- It’s very lightweight.
- It’s spill-proof so you can position it the way you want
- It can take a while to recharge
6. UPG UB12120 AGM Battery
Universal power group solar wind 12-volt battery that can be used for a number of machines. It comes in one size and weighs about 63 lbs., however, customers have reported that the clear instructions provided in the packaging box make it easy to install the battery.
Moreover, it is rechargeable and can be mounted in a number of different positions plus due to its outer body it is able to resist shocks and vibrations. However, keep in mind that this battery is not suitable for short circuits plus you should avoid totally the draining the battery because then it will be very problematic too recharge it back.
The manufacturer offers replacement warranty in case if you notice any factory defects but keep in mind that you will need to change the battery from 3 to 5 years depending on how often you are going to use and recharge it. Also, you need to ensure that you properly store it in the dark and dry area when not in use.
If you leave the battery inside for a long time without using it there is a very high chance of the battery leaking because this universal 12-volt battery comes without a glass mat at the bottom. Lastly, keep in mind that you can find this battery in three different volts ranging from 12 volts to 48 volts.
- Trusted brand
- Available in three different volt ranges
- 1-year warranty
- Leak proof
- Not suitable for short circuits
- Not suitable to be left in the machine without working for two weeks
7. Interstate Sealed Lead Acid AGM Deep Cycle Battery
This sealed unit can be mounted at any angle and is cleared of water, surface or air transport. Deep Cycle Battery is the main part in different kinds of renewable energy systems that require the storage of electricity.
It is complete with heavy duty tin alloy grids, military-grade custom made plates, increasing its performance and durability manifold. It is highly resistant to vibration and wears and tear, making it all the more durable over a long term use.
- The design is sold, and this heavy-duty best trolling motor battery will last you through bad weather conditions and rough use
- These batteries have a shelf life of about ten years, making them a good buy
- It’s maintenance free, so no need to keep spending on the maintenance of the same
- It charges quickly, and stores charge for longer time, making it a sound investment
- The battery is spill and leak proof, making it more functional and useful in the long run
- The price might be slightly on the higher side, so the initial cost of investment is high, but it will fetch you results that are worth later on.
8. VMAX MR127 Deep Cycle AGM Battery
It doesn’t matter the brand of motor you have installed in your boat, this VMAX MR127 12 Volt 100Ah Deep Cycle Maintenance Free Battery affords you maximum power at every second of its operation. The VMAX 12 volt deep cycle best marine battery is well known for its high-quality.
Even better, it is compatible with all leading brands. Not the best part yet, it is also among the best trolling motor batteries that deliver consistent performance. It’s built to tolerate vibrations, nicks, and bumps of regular use, recharges quickly and easy to mount.
This battery is specially designed for use with trolling motors and delivers consistent, reliable power and comes in a long-lasting plastic enclosure to safeguard it from vibration and shock. The VMAX MR127 is a great deep cycle battery that’s available at a slight premium compared to competing batteries. It charges extremely quickly, making it a convenient option if you’re looking for a battery that will often be used on your boat.
- Tin alloy grid
- Get charged in less time
- Solid body
- AGM technology
- Group 27 batteries, can be installed with power unit of minnkota
9. Universal Power Group Battery for Minn Kota
Providing power when you need it, the powerful 12 Volt 100 AH battery uses a high-tech, long-lasting, calcium-alloy grid that offers excellent performance and service life in both cyclic and float applications.
Being one of the best trolling battery built with Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) technology and a unique valve regulated design, that can be used in indoor and enclosed surroundings without maintenance or leaking, offering excellent performance for thousands of models.
UPG batteries have a wide range of application including; Security, emergency lighting, access control devices, hobby and toys, solar, portable tools, motorcycles, medical mobility, power sports, garden and lawn tools, hunting, golf carts, engine starters, electric vehicles, consumer electronics and more.
Most importantly, this unit is among the best trolling motor battery. It affords the maintenance-free operation and is built to take the punishment of repetitive discharging and charging. For small trolling boats and boats, this battery may be the ideal choice.
- Rechargeable maintenance free battery: There is no provisional need to see the gravity rate of the electrolyte present or to worry about adding water in the tanks
- It can help power boats laden with lots of electrical gadgets
- Resists shocks and vibration: It is 15 times more resistive to vibration and highly a durable product
- It doesn’t take long to recharge
- Comes with one year warranty
- It can last for as many as a thousand recharging cycles.
- It cost a bit more than other brands
10. Weize Deep Cycle Trolling Motor Battery
Another great sealed lead acid battery that can be recharged however keep in mind that it comes in a packaging box without screws or bolts plus the wire harness is not included as well. This battery is universal and can be used for a number of items such as trolling motor, golf carts, lawn tools and even for RV’s.
The battery is valve regulated and comes with a 30-day refund warranty. However, make sure that you never charge this battery on a sealed container plus never charge the battery right after it got discharged.
Lastly, note that this battery is not suitable for short circuits and should be stored in a dry and dark place whenever not in use. Also, never try to disassemble it and make sure that it does not stay in a place where the temperature rises higher than 50 degrees Celsius.
- Universal battery that is suitable for trolling motors as well as golf carts
- 30-day return policy
- Manufacturer’s warranty
- Leak proof outer body
- Valve regulated
- Available in one capacity only
- Lacking customer service
- Requires a special charger that can be hard to find
How to Care Your Trolling Motor Battery – Step by Step Guide
Even the best of battery won’t perform to its specifications if it is not properly cared for. Here are some tips to help your battery last as long as possible:
1 Keep It Charged
As soon as you make it to shore, get the charger on your battery and keep it full. A Battery can get a type of “memory”, and if it is left partly charged more often than it is full, it tends to drain to that point more quickly.
2 Keep It Charged
A constant and slow charge is better for your battery compared to a fast, heavy charge. Even better, this won’t overheat the plates in a typical battery as much, letting the battery to last longer.
3 Stow Your Battery Properly
During the off-season, store it in a cool, dry place and, if possible, keep a trickle charge on it.
4 Never Mix Types of Batterie
Avoid using an old and a new battery together.
5 Top It off with Distilled Water
If you’re using a wet-cell battery, check them from time to time and top it off with distilled water if necessary. Never use tap water in batteries – only distilled water.
6 Check the Battery Terminals Regularly
Whenever you’re in the battery compartment connecting the charger, always check the battery terminals. Bond checking the terminals into another activity that you do: adding oil, gassing the boat, etc.
That way you won’t fail to check the terminals. If they are looking bad, disconnect the battery cables and clean the terminals up with water and baking soda. Dry them properly and reattach the cables. Using a cell post spray on the terminals can help reduce the buildup that you might see on the terminals.
The hunt for the best battery does not have to be stressful. The above review is a suggestion of the best trolling motor battery which provides you with a long low maintenance life span, a fast charge time, high life span and flexibility.
So, take a look at these batteries and ensure that you measure them up to get one that matches your needs. These batteries are available at various prices. Consequently, make sure that you don’t base your decision on cost alone but the features in them. By doing so, you can be certain to make the right investment and one that is worth your hard-earned money.